Author Topic: Formula for shipyard efficiency with multiple shipyards?  (Read 977 times)

Offline jantaya (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • j
Formula for shipyard efficiency with multiple shipyards?
« on: November 14, 2020, 06:45:21 PM »
Is there a formula for the added build time when there are multiple shipyards in a colony?  I'm a new player and I noticed while in spacemaster getting a feel for the game before my galactic conquest that if there were multiple shipyards at Earth then the build time would skyrocket after a certain point.   Is this the ton/slipways/total shipyards, and how should I manage this for when I don't want to do a "spacemaster free" galactic conquest?  In spacemaster I was just willy-nilly adding on a ton (or several million) of shipyards and tons of capacity when I noticed that the ship that was supposed to take ~20 years was now due to be completed in ~200 years, and deleting these extra additions resolved that mess. 

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
Re: Formula for shipyard efficiency with multiple shipyards?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 07:02:07 PM »
Shipyards, like basically all installations, require people to work them. If you run out of workers at a colony, all things that need labor get reduced efficiency. If you had so many shipyards that the manpower requirement was 10x what was actually available, that would lead to work progressing at 1/10th speed.

On the colony summary screen it shows how many workers are needed for all installations, broken down by type. And at the bottom is a sum showing if you have excess or insufficient workers.

If you have insufficient workers, the "Economic efficiency modifier" in the second column will show the effects by being less than 100%. A few other things can ALSO cause that to drop (running out of wealth, radiation), but a labor shortage is a very common one.

The following users thanked this post: jantaya

Offline jantaya (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • j
Re: Formula for shipyard efficiency with multiple shipyards?
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 07:06:49 PM »
That makes a lot of sense, thank you!