Author Topic: Database compatibility issues across two comupters.  (Read 1155 times)

Offline Rolly Polly (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • R
Database compatibility issues across two comupters.
« on: January 12, 2011, 01:05:14 PM »
I'm having an interesting problem at the moment trying to migrate the game from one computer to another.

Both machines are running 5. 2 without problems.  The new machine can start a new game and the old machine can continue with my old campaign as normal.

Transferring the database from the old machine to the new results in Errors 3265, 3061 and then a long string of 91 which matches closely the description of what happens if you muddle the installation process.

Transferring the whole game folder from old to new results in the same behavior, not functioning with the database that was copied along with the game but working fine if I use the database that comes with the 5. 2 patch.

So I'm left thinking that there must be some difference in the windows environment that allows the game to function normally on both machines but destroys database compatibility, I can't however think how I might figure out what that difference is.

If anybody has any thoughts I'd appreciate the input.

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
Re: Database compatibility issues across two comupters.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 10:39:13 PM »
Do you have "access" on the two computers and if so what versions. This may have an impact on the various standard dlls that the database uses since this is a visual basic program.

Offline Rolly Polly (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • R
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 04:05:43 AM »
That is indeed a difference the new machine doesn't have it installed yet.  (I spent yesterday looking for the disk which for some reason wasn't in that box of disks and manuals I'm sure everybody has)

Will report back when I get a chance to try it post install.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 08:25:45 AM »
It's been a while since I've used multiple machines for a game.  If I recall correctly...the paths on both machine must be identical.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 01:51:36 AM »
For some time  I've been using Aurora on multiple machines, basing it on a thumbdrive.  I havent really had a lot of problems, very occasionally I lose a game because the Stevefire.mdb gets corrupted if it happens to be writing to it when I pull the memory stick out (I just need tp remember to shut down Aurora before removing the stick!)
Slàinte,

Mike