Author Topic: Breakaway Anniversary  (Read 2416 times)

Offline Zume (OP)

• Lieutenant
    • http://members.cox.net/desslok/starfire-index.shtml
Breakaway Anniversary
« on: September 13, 2009, 01:40:46 AM »
This being the 10th anniversary of Breakaway, where were you on the the historic day?  :D

--Zume

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
Re: Breakaway Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 03:21:55 AM »
I am forced to admit that I had to google 'breakaway anniversary'.

I never saw the episodes as they were originally aired, but I did see quite a few of the re-runs when I was a kid.

iirc, the first season was good, but then new writers came in and it went a bit 'weird' ? Was a good show non the less!

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 04:56:54 PM »
I also googled 'Breakaway' out of curiosity.  The same as the previous poster I never saw the epsodes when I originally aired. but I did see lots of re-runs.  I saw a few on satellite TV recently and despite being a bit cheesy some characterisations where pretty strong.  I secretly enjoyed watching it  :oops:
Welchbloke

Offline Zume (OP)

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 10:45:19 PM »
Yeah, or just Google 13 September 2009 -10 years and you'll get the reference up front and center.  :D

--Zume

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 07:47:56 AM »
Had just moved to Australia and got a job that day designing a Y2K test suite for a telecoms billing company that had 'forgotten' to get their software analysed & tested.

That contract was worth a bit!
Slàinte,

Mike

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 10:52:53 AM »
I and a bunch of my geeky friends were having a 'Breakaway' party at Zab's house, watching several episodes.

#:-]
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 06:32:47 AM by Father Tim »

Offline Sotak246

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 09:41:45 PM »
I had forgoten about the anniversary and by pure coincidence had watched every show with my netflix subscription just last month.  Missed the original airing but caught many reruns and loved it.

Mark

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 11:37:49 PM »
Quote from: "Beersatron"
I am forced to admit that I had to google 'breakaway anniversary'.

I never saw the episodes as they were originally aired, but I did see quite a few of the re-runs when I was a kid.

iirc, the first season was good, but then new writers came in and it went a bit 'weird' ? Was a good show non the less!

I hate to admit it, but I remember when the series came out.  I never really liked the show (I think even at that tender age the idea of the moon traveling fast enough to go anywhere interesting in a reasonable time overwhelmed my suspension of disbelief), but I had seen dribs and drabs of the old "UFO" show and thought it was way cool, and they re-used the ship minatures for S1999 so I think I watched it just for that :)  (I may have UFO confused with one of the other puppet shows of the time - I was pretty young when I saw it.)

Definitely got weird as time progressed, which I think is a standard danger for "Route 66" type space travel shows (a different adventure at a different location each week) - eventually they run out of story lines, which is usually when they bring in the Klingons (or the Borg, or the ....)  BTW, IMHO this was one of the incredible things about B5 - since he had the 5-year story arc outlined from day 1, he didn't run out of plot a year and a half into the series as happened to e.g. BSG.

John

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 10:59:40 AM »
I only just realised that Breakaway is Space 1999. I have the entire first series on DVD so now I am inspired to watch it again :)

Steve

Offline Shinanygnz

• Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 01:11:20 PM »
Always had a soft spot for Space 1999.  Fond memories from when I was a nipper.  Got the first series on DVD, but they steadfastly fail to release series 2 in the UK.  Which sucks.  A lot.   :cry:

Space 1999 was originally supposed to be UFO 1999, following on from the UFO series, but got changed.  I have the official guide (and the five annuals) in my bookcase behind me.  My model Eagle is still around somewhere too.
It was co-funded by an Italian TV channel which is why you get quite a few Italian guest stars.  The first series was shown out of order (restored in the UK DVD release), with the moon going through some sort of anomaly early on to where normal physics doesn't apply to get around the disbelief thing.  No different to a warp drive/jump gate/hyperdrive/whatever really.
My face episode was the one with the tentacled space monster in the space ship graveyard... Dragon's Domain

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 01:13:42 PM »
Quote from: "Shinanygnz"
My face episode was the one with the tentacled space monster in the space ship graveyard... Dragon's Domain
I remember being scared to death by that episode when I was a kid. Doesn't look quite as scary now :)

Steve

Offline ShadoCat

• Commander
    • http://www.assistsolar.com
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 01:30:50 PM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
Quote from: "Shinanygnz"
I remember being scared to death by that episode when I was a kid. Doesn't look quite as scary now :)

I was a bit older but it was still pretty spooky.

Now, it's a bit amusing.

Offline Zume (OP)

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 03:03:13 PM »
My favorites episodes are, and happen to remember the most when I saw them back in 1975 during the first run in U.S. syndication, End of Eternity and The Last Enemy. For the first one it was the scene of Koenig being attacked by a model plane that stood out the most. The second was the apparently sleep-talking leader of the Deltans.

Here's an excellent Space: 1999 website that has synopsis for each episode. http://www.space1999.net/moonbase99/command.htm

--Zume

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 04:29:12 PM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"
BTW, IMHO this was one of the incredible things about B5 - since he had the 5-year story arc outlined from day 1, he didn't run out of plot a year and a half into the series as happened to e.g. BSG.

John
I agree, B5 is still one of my favourite Sci Fi series, I have all the series on DVD; however, I did find season 5 a bit disjointed.
Welchbloke

Offline ShadoCat

• Commander
    • http://www.assistsolar.com
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 05:06:43 PM »
Quote from: "welchbloke"
Quote from: "sloanjh"
BTW, IMHO this was one of the incredible things about B5 - since he had the 5-year story arc outlined from day 1, he didn't run out of plot a year and a half into the series as happened to e.g. BSG.

John
I agree, B5 is still one of my favourite Sci Fi series, I have all the series on DVD; however, I did find season 5 a bit disjointed.

That's because JMS didn't know there would be a season 5.  He went through most of season 4 thinking that would be the last season.  So he aimed that year to wrap things up.  Then he found out that he had his 5th season.  So he created a 5th season from plot threads that had to be cut out of of the 4/5 merge and side plots that weren't going to be in the series.

[Edit:  I spent 5 years as one of the founders and the program director for AgamemCon, so I know a bit about B5]