Author Topic: Populations and Worlds  (Read 1180 times)

Offline Tor Cha (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • T
Populations and Worlds
« on: January 31, 2017, 03:58:14 PM »
Ok If you have a Terrestrial Planet that is Not Hostile to you You do not need to Put any thing down to Keep the Environment From Killing your Population!
What about Non Terrestrial Planets and World/Planets/Comets/Asteroids ?
Do you Put Up Domes over City's?  that is fine But what about Farm Land?? Dome them also? What of the H2O?
now I know that Some of the Cost of Putting a Pop on a Planet or Whatever Deals with some if not Most of that Problem.
I am just Needing Some Guidance From Steve , Eric Or someone that Knows the Answers.
I am Asking Because I am thinking of Putting a Penal Colony on a Planet/Small Moon. 

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Populations and Worlds
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 05:25:57 PM »
The generic "Infrastructure" simulates modular city blocks with services, food production, etc all built in.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Tor Cha (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 06:37:34 PM »
The generic "Infrastructure" simulates modular city blocks with services, food production, etc all built in.
I am sure that is Fine But what about Planets/moons/and other Smaller Body's? Or ones that are Dangerous to the Pop your Putting down on the Body?

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 09:26:50 PM »
Underground/Low Gravity infrastructure covers this issue, as does the construction of orbital stations.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 09:38:54 PM »
http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Terraforming#Colony_Cost_and_Terraforming
A world that is perfectly habitable to your people is displayed as colony cost of 0.
This requires an acceptable gravity and atmosphere.
If a planet is within the gravity tolerance of your species then the colony cost displays how much infrastructure is needed to sustain a population on that body due to the hostile atmosphere, colony cost of 1 requires 100 infrastructure for 1 million people, cost of 2 requires 200 for a million, etc.
Reducing colony cost requires removing toxic gasses, changing the temperature to one acceptable to your species, lowering or raising the pressure, and finally ensuring there is the right quantity of oxygen.
If the body is very low gravity then you'll need to use underground infrastructure, which is always calculated as if the body has a colony cost of 3.0, and must be built on site, by the population and initially by construction engineers. Normal infrastructure costs 2 duranium each but underground costs 10 duranium, so it's more expensive and takes a while to build but is the only sensible option for low gravity colonies. Unless you use orbital habitats which have the advantage of being movable.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

The following users thanked this post: Tor Cha