Author Topic: LP what now?  (Read 1661 times)

Offline TallTroll (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • T
LP what now?
« on: April 03, 2012, 09:00:19 AM »
First JP out from Sol is Alpha Centauri.  I get that B orbits A, and LP is LaGrange point, but the LPs have a new order associated with them "intra system jump".  Do I need a Jump Drive to use them, or can anything use them? I don't seem to be able to choose self / squad, so do they effectively act as Jumpgates?

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
Re: LP what now?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 09:04:24 AM »
They function as jump points within the system.  No jump drive needed, and no mechanic for a squadron jump either.  They show up with gas giants or super Jovians and as you noted are at the lagrange point for that body.  You can jump from any one to any other one inside the same system.  They are mostly a way to get around a really big multi star system.  Unfortunately your civilian merchants won't look at them currently so it does not help on that front.  You can set up your own merchant ships to use them however, and they can definitly get your military ships out and back from a distant companion star to the primary star if needed.

Brian

Offline TallTroll (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 09:47:38 AM »
Awesome.  I've also just found Sigma Draconis, which has them.  Guess I'll have to be careful what I settle

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 11:08:46 AM »
The only thing that bugs me about the LPs is that they do not orbit so if you have a massive system and one of the LPs is out at the B Component then given time the B Component will move to the other side of the A Component from the LP.

In saying that, I have never actually looked to see if there was an 'orbital movement' checkbox for LPs like there is for Asteroids.

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 12:34:16 PM »
LPs always move: They are tied to the orbit of the corresponding Gas Giant or Super Jovian.  JPs, however, do not move.

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 01:19:53 PM »
LPs always move: They are tied to the orbit of the corresponding Gas Giant or Super Jovian.  JPs, however, do not move.

I have never seen an LP move, unless I am going senile in my old age ...

Offline TallTroll (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 05:34:24 PM »
Well, if they are really LPs, they should move with the bodies they are associated with

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 05:40:16 PM »

Yes, that's correct - LP move with their associated planet.

Steve

Offline TallTroll (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 06:42:37 PM »
Well, if Lagrange could do it with pen and parchment, I guess you can do it with Access

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 07:29:30 PM »
You probably don't notice the lp moving because of the really long orbital period.  The other option is if you have the orbital motion of planets turned off the that would also prevent the lp from moving.

Brian