Author Topic: Mass Drivers  (Read 5183 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Mass Drivers
« on: August 01, 2007, 08:07:32 AM »
You can now build Mass Drivers on planets that will send mineral packets to other populations in the same system. I will probably change the figures a little over time but the basic mechanics below will remain the same.

A Mass Driver costs 300 BP to build, using 100 tons each of Duranium, Neutronium and Boronide, and is the same size as a factory or mine. You can move them around with freighters so Load and Unload Mass Driver orders have been added. One Mass Driver can launch 5000 tons of minerals per year and catch any amount of minerals per year.

If you have a planet with at least one mass driver then a list of possible destinations will be shown on the Mining tab of the population window. Destinations include any of your populations with at least one mass driver and any detected alien populations regardless of whether they have a mass driver. Each 5-day increment, a mineral packet will be assembled and dispatched toward its destination. The packet is assembled by calculating the amount of minerals that can be sent. This is based on the number of mass drivers * 5000 tons * (Increment Length/Year). A roughly equal amount of each available mineral will be sent. This is done by the program checking each mineral type in turn and adding up to 10 tons to the packet. This process loops until either all available minerals have been added or the packet reaches its maximum size. The speed of a packet of maximum size is 1000 km/s. Smaller packets than the maximum possible will travel more quickly. Half size would be double speed, quarter size would be 4x speed, etc.

When a packet arrives at its destination, the program checks for a mass driver to catch the packet. If one exists then the minerals are added to the population's stockpiles. If no mass driver exists, a planetary bombardment attack is carried out using one tenth of the mineral packet size. So a 300 ton packet hitting a planet would be the same as a missile with a strength-30 warhead.

Attacking planets with mass drivers is therefore possible but easily defended. A single mass driver will defend against all mass driver 'attacks'. However, if you can catch an opponent unawares it could be useful. Any such attack will be rapidly countered so the initial strike would have to be as large as possible. I should also note here that packet sizes are designed for 5-day increments. You could create larger packet sizes by using a 30-day increment, which would create a more devastating attack. That was not my intention so it is up to individual players to decide if they want to take advantage of that exploit to launch an attack. Although perhaps it could be argued that leaving the mass drivers idle for thirty days before they launch that packet just builds up their energy reserves for a huge launch :)

EDIT: I forgot to mention that mineral packets are invisible to passive sensors because they have no power signature but can be picked up on active sensors as if they were a ship of same tonnage. For example, an 800 ton packet would be detected by active sensors as if it was an 800 ton (size 16) ship but would be completely invisible to all passive sensors.

Steve
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 09:12:56 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline jmelzer

• Leading Rate
  • j
Re: Mass Drivers
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 08:58:17 AM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
You can now build Mass Drivers on planets that will send mineral packets to other populations in the same system. ...
 One Mass Driver can launch 5000 tons of minerals per year and catch any amount of minerals per year.
Each 5-day increment, a mineral packet will be assembled and dispatched toward its destination. The packet is assembled by calculating the amount of minerals that can be sent. This is based on the number of mass drivers * 5000 tons * (Increment Length/Year). A roughly equal amount of each available mineral will be sent. This is done by the program checking each mineral type in turn and adding up to 10 tons to the packet. This process loops until either all available minerals have been added or the packet reaches its maximum size.
Steve

Should we be able to specify which minerals to send? (just put a list of tick-boxes, so you can ticky off the ones you're interested in sending).
e.g. a system with 2 populated worlds, one produces lots of neutronium, one lots of duranium. Would be nice to allow trade this way.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by jmelzer »

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Mass Drivers
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 09:13:58 AM »
Quote from: "jmelzer"
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
You can now build Mass Drivers on planets that will send mineral packets to other populations in the same system. ...
 One Mass Driver can launch 5000 tons of minerals per year and catch any amount of minerals per year.
Each 5-day increment, a mineral packet will be assembled and dispatched toward its destination. The packet is assembled by calculating the amount of minerals that can be sent. This is based on the number of mass drivers * 5000 tons * (Increment Length/Year). A roughly equal amount of each available mineral will be sent. This is done by the program checking each mineral type in turn and adding up to 10 tons to the packet. This process loops until either all available minerals have been added or the packet reaches its maximum size.
Steve

Should we be able to specify which minerals to send? (just put a list of tick-boxes, so you can ticky off the ones you're interested in sending).
e.g. a system with 2 populated worlds, one produces lots of neutronium, one lots of duranium. Would be nice to allow trade this way.

You can't do this at the moment but it would be a useful option

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 12:03:18 PM »
How about an automated mass driver.  It would cost twice as much to build and work the same.  I would put on a moon without a population.  Then I can move just the minerals I want to launch to the moon and let the program do the rest automatically.

Brian
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Brian »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 12:57:08 PM »
Do the different minerals have differing "explosive potential"? Being used for fuel, I'd expect Sorium to be more volatile than duranium for example.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Erik Luken »

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 03:01:47 PM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
Do the different minerals have differing "explosive potential"? Being used for fuel, I'd expect Sorium to be more volatile than duranium for example.

:D  :twisted:

Kurt
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Kurt »

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 04:48:37 PM »
Interesting!

You could theoretically build one of these on a mobile platform, positioned near a jump point.

You could then have a small cargo ship shuttle the minerals through the warp point and basically have an automated mineral extraction system.

Of course, a scout ship with decent active sensors would be able to follow the mineral stream to find warp points.

And a pirate ship with a mobile resource catcher and active sensors could intercept the mineral stream.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Michael Sandy »

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 07:15:54 PM »
Quote from: "Brian"
How about an automated mass driver.  It would cost twice as much to build and work the same.  I would put on a moon without a population.  Then I can move just the minerals I want to launch to the moon and let the program do the rest automatically.

Brian

This *is* an automated mass driver.  It would be 95% useless if it weren't, as the stated purpose is to collect a system's worth of minerals at a central point, rather than sending a fleet of freighters to visit every piddly asteroid.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Father Tim »

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 07:38:37 PM »
Quote from: "Father Tim"

Brian

This *is* an automated mass driver.  It would be 95% useless if it weren't, as the stated purpose is to collect a system's worth of minerals at a central point, rather than sending a fleet of freighters to visit every piddly asteroid.

My mistake, I thought they required population.

Brian
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Brian »

Offline Centerfed

• Petty Officer
  • C
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 08:10:44 PM »
I didn't think you could use these things 'hypothetically in the real world' if the body you are launching packets from had an atmosphere...

Also, when it comes to using it as an (innefficient) bombardment system, I'd want to load it with some good old common iron ore and not some very rare trans-newtonian stuff.  That's like making cannonballs out of gold instead of lead.

Maybe an option to load 'junk' ore onto a packet when it comes to aiming at an enemy colony?

HD
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Centerfed »
"What's the matter, Colonel Sanders?  Chicken?"  -D. Helmet, Spaceball One

"Prepare...er...Prepare ship for ludicrous speed!" -Col. Sanders, Spaceball One

Offline ShadoCat

• Commander
    • http://www.assistsolar.com
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 12:04:48 AM »
Maybe an option to load 'junk' ore onto a packet when it comes to aiming at an enemy colony?

That would make this a bit too cheesy.  Let it be expensive.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by ShadoCat »

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2007, 06:23:32 AM »

The Mass Drivers are automated. No pop is required as their main use will be on mining colonies.

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2007, 06:26:23 AM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"

In their unrefined state, all the minerals are equally 'explosive'. One of the reasons for this is that someone is sure to suggest using mass drivers to send huge anti-matter bombs at the enemy pops so I wanted to add a proviso that anything remotely volatile would explode when the mass drivers tried to accelerate it :)

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 06:28:57 AM »
Quote from: "Centerfed"
I didn't think you could use these things 'hypothetically in the real world' if the body you are launching packets from had an atmosphere...

Also, when it comes to using it as an (innefficient) bombardment system, I'd want to load it with some good old common iron ore and not some very rare trans-newtonian stuff.  That's like making cannonballs out of gold instead of lead.

I am assuming that the mass driver is partly an orbital flinger/catcher system and partly a ground station with ground-to-orbit shuttles.

TNEs are much heavier than normal ores so they have much more impact :)

Steve

Offline Centerfed

• Petty Officer
  • C
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2007, 03:40:28 AM »
Steve Walmsley wrote:
TNEs are much heavier than normal ores so they have much more impact  

...on your economy  8)

Will mass drivers be on the list of items that can be added to colonies by SM mode?

HD
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Centerfed »
"What's the matter, Colonel Sanders?  Chicken?"  -D. Helmet, Spaceball One

"Prepare...er...Prepare ship for ludicrous speed!" -Col. Sanders, Spaceball One