Author Topic: Semi-Official 7.x Suggestion Thread  (Read 173261 times)

Offline El Pip

• Lieutenant
  • E
Re: Semi-Official 7.0 Suggestion Thread
« Reply #135 on: February 06, 2016, 04:38:28 AM »
I'd also really like a .06HS fuel tank. The current 'Crew Quarters - Fighter' uses .04HS but on ships small enough to make use of it, it just ends up resulting in a 497 ton fighter. There's nothing else that that'll fit in there, so I always end up replacing it with 'Crew Quarters - Tiny' to make it an even 500 tons despite the fact that it doubles my crew and the spare berths/deployment time adds nothing appreciable to my vessel's capabilities.
I'm glad it's not just me who is doing that sort of thing. Having to go and manually put in a bigger crew quarters to get a neat fighter size always seems a waste, but I find the odd sizes bother me. The option to make use of that spare 3 tons would be great.

I also completely agree with the medal award ideas. I'd like to award everyone a medal after a battle, but the thought of trying to find 20 FAC officers out of a huge list is sometimes just too much to face. Giving a medal to everyone in a task force/fleet/whatever would solve that.

Offline Havan_IronOak

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #136 on: February 06, 2016, 09:51:47 PM »
I'd suggest that you add one (or more) sort options to the colony list  in the Population and Production window.  I'm not sure of the current order but an alpha presentation order would be great when the list gets long. Of course that could be within whatever order is already there.

The Group by Function checkbox is helpful but even that's not enough for really long lists of colonies within an system (Particularly important during the ground based survey phase)
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Offline Havan_IronOak

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #137 on: February 07, 2016, 03:58:11 AM »
The Colony Summary Window (Opened by using F2) shows Colony Summary as the title when one uses the Icon button at the top of the System Map screen. Yet the title that appears in the window says "Population and Production.

It would simplify things for the uninitiated if the two titles were consistent.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 01:23:58 AM by Havan_IronOak »
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Offline Havan_IronOak

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #138 on: February 07, 2016, 12:37:57 PM »
When creating teams it would be helpful if we could filter the list of qualifying members to exclude scientists actively engaged in research but potentially see other assigned candidates.  When forming a geo-survey team I'll gladly pull a rock guy off commanding a freighter. Others can do that just as well.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 12:59:25 PM by Havan_IronOak »

Offline Thineboot

• Petty Officer
  • T
« Reply #139 on: February 08, 2016, 01:07:51 AM »
Add "Shore leave" under Task Groups > Special Orders > Default Orders, maybe with some percentages lower than 100% morale.     
And under Task Groups > Task Group Orders when it's a populated colony with at least some recreational facilities.     

Respectively an order the reduce the Crew (mths) to a proper amount.   

As far as I can see there is no Order to raise moral without checking frequently.      There is an event "Shore Leave"  :)

Edit: While there is an event you can't force a task group to stay at a colony unless you're resetting conditional orders. 
Please add under
  • Task Groups > Task Group Orders > Actions Available: Shore leave
  • Task Groups > Special Orders > "Month greater than xxx%" / "Shore leave at Colony"
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 02:44:44 AM by Thineboot »

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #140 on: February 08, 2016, 09:54:01 AM »
Could we get an option to auto-assign officers that don't have crew training ratings?  It's a good way to train them to get crew training ratings, which is why I like to do it, but it's a hassle, particularly in big games.

Also, big games tend to see an overabundance of senior officers.  I know I could theoretically divide up my fleet into more Fleets, but that would mess with crew training rather badly as ships get rotated between them.  Some form of 'squadrons' which could absorb the mid-range officers would be nice.
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

Offline Havan_IronOak

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #141 on: February 08, 2016, 10:17:53 AM »
There is a hide CMC option on the Populated systems list. That can be very useful in the mid and late game.

In the early game what I'd love to see would be an option to alternatively hide/show colonies with staff and/or assets on them. I seem to always be looking for my Geo-survey teams or tying to pick a place to next send them. Being able to see only those colonies with teams or to omit colonies with teams on them would make navigating the list much easier.

It also seems that an optional alpha sort would be a useful option.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #142 on: February 08, 2016, 10:47:15 AM »
In the early game what I'd love to see would be an option to alternatively hide/show colonies with staff and/or assets on them. I seem to always be looking for my Geo-survey teams or tying to pick a place to next send them. Being able to see only those colonies with teams or to omit colonies with teams on them would make navigating the list much easier.
Here is a tip, abandon the colonies that you are done with (surveyed and without team). It doesn't delete the materials or your knowledge of whats on it, only installations and teams on the surface. When you want to put mines back on them, it will recreate the colony automatically.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Havan_IronOak

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #143 on: February 08, 2016, 10:40:49 PM »
When a Geo-survey team completes its task, one can bring up the colony quickly by clicking on the Event Log text message then right clicking on the colony in question (the system map is centered on the colony on which they're stationed.) (Assuming that one has not opted to disable the jump to event feature)

If one accidentally assigns a Geo-survey team to body that's not been orbitally surveyed yet, that method doesn't work. Clicking on the Event Log text message that the team cannot begin operations doesn't re-center the map. It probably should.

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #144 on: February 09, 2016, 06:05:08 PM »
How would this affect those of us who don't research components, just the requisite tech? I almost always play with SM mode and instant research my ship comps.

Engineering wouldn't just be components, as I imagine it. It would include unlock technologies like orbital habitats, and multiplier techs like engine mults.  Capacitors maybe.

Offline jiduthie

• Chief Petty Officer
  • j
« Reply #145 on: February 10, 2016, 12:09:48 AM »
Currently the buttons for renaming alien classes aren't created in the intelligence window when using reduced height windows. The options for renaming individual ships exist and there's space for the extra buttons just to the left of that.

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #146 on: February 10, 2016, 09:38:07 AM »
Could we have missile armor scale with size somehow?  It seems a bit bizarre that the same amount of armor provides the same protection to a size 20 missile as a size 1 missile.
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #147 on: February 10, 2016, 09:52:26 AM »
Could we have missile armor scale with size somehow?  It seems a bit bizarre that the same amount of armor provides the same protection to a size 20 missile as a size 1 missile.
Because that is's the total weight of armor on the missile. 1 MSP is 1/20th of a HS (50 tons) so is 2.5 tons. 2.5 tons of armor should provide the same protection as 2.5 tons of armor. A better way to RP it is like a dome shaped piece of armor on the front of the missile instead of a coating around the whole missile.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #148 on: February 10, 2016, 09:54:28 AM »
In the task groups screen it would be nice on the naval organisation tab to have an export to txt button. Quite often I tend to use the same style of organisation structure for my games and at present the only real option is to keep a running txt file with a copy made by hand.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #149 on: February 10, 2016, 10:00:59 AM »
A mine fire control. On the design with it, have it replace the "Open fire" buttons with "Drop Ordinance" and it would not need a target to function. It would also give the design some orders like; "Lay mines on path" when selecting a destination in the order window which would lay mines along the path between the start point to your destination, maybe add a box for a separation time between drops (in hundreds of seconds). "Create mine field/ring" it would make a ring of mines around the selected destination at a 30 degree separation at the distance set by the "Minimum distance to target" (maybe additional orders/selection for degree separation, like how you select ground forces/team to load/unload). Of course if the design doesn't have enough mines/runs out, it could give an interrupt saying "*Task group* doesn't have enough ordinance to complete current order"
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 10:05:05 AM by 83athom »