Author Topic: Tuggin  (Read 2338 times)

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
Re: Tuggin
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2021, 01:23:17 AM »
No, what I'm saying is:

- Currently, we can only have one ship be tugged by one tug. So make it that one ship can be tugged by one fleet of tugs. Then, add up the EP and Mass of the tug fleet, and plug it into the existing formula for the one tug per ship model. I see no reason to have more than one ship per tug, but I see every reason to have a few tugs per ship.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
Re: Tuggin
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2021, 01:42:15 AM »
I didn't want to complicate tugging; my idea was to make it simpler (and possibly handle it a bit simpler from the programming side). So let me quickly re-explain what I meant:

Step A) You create a fleet of three tug ships and order it to move to an existing mining operation fleet
Step B) Give it the order to "tug any ship in that fleet". The game checks for three tugs (with one tractor beam each) and picks three mining stations from that original fleet
Step C) Move the tugging fleet to the target destination and release all tractored ships
Step D) The Game creates a new fleet at the target destination with all mining ships

The Speed calculation would be the same as if I would move three different fleets with one tugged ship each. They would just move as one fleet, not three.

So what happens if there are only one or two mining ships left to tug? Well, we could either sum up all engine power and divide by total tonnage - which would mean that three tugs would tug two mining ships a bit quicker - or we could say that the fleet moves at the slowest calculated individual speed. Each tug is caclulated against one of the tractored ships and each is given its speed. Then the slowest speed is taken for the fleet and all ships are moved at that speed.

Thinking of this, the latter would make more sense because if you tug ships of differerent sizes the fleet can only stay together if they choose the speed of the slowest ship. As it is already so in Aurora... .