Author Topic: Semi-Official 7.x Suggestion Thread  (Read 172587 times)

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
Re: Semi-Official 7.0 Suggestion Thread
« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2016, 05:07:43 AM »
A "Maximum Rank" thing might be nice though. It IS weird to have your admiral run a shuttle.
Or a lord who jumps into a fighter. *cough*
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

The following users thanked this post: Tor Cha

Offline AL

• Captain
  • A
« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2016, 05:51:52 AM »
In one of my previous games I had a bunch of super-obsolete 1kt OWP's which I just used as training posts for officers. Problem is I forgot about the officers after I assigned them there, so a fair few years down the line I found that about half of my highest ranking officers in the whole navy were commanding 1kt rustbuckets without even the most rudimentary propulsion systems. Well, at least I had plenty of officers ready to be assigned to my new super-capital ships...

Offline swarm_sadist

• Lt. Commander
  • s
« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2016, 10:59:10 PM »
Small suggestions:

1. Can we have in the fuel report window a % of maintenance clock/maintenance life, as well as crew clock/intended deployment time?

2. When in task group order screen, when the expected order(s) given take the task group outside it's range, display the box with the estimate time and range as yellow or red.

Slightly bigger suggestion:
A ferry move command for moving task groups consisting of multiple ships with different ranges/fuel amounts, where the combined fuel capacity of the entire task group is used and shared between all the ships evenly, so they all run out of fuel at the same time (and hopefully have the longest combined range without micro-ing fuel management).

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2016, 11:57:47 PM »
It's been suggested that automatic officer assignment isn't ideal, with fighters getting assigned unskilled officers before larger capital ships which perhaps should get officers first.
I'm suggesting the following for auto assignment,
First, sort officers by skill level, whatever an officer is most skilled in causes him to be assigned to the largest vessel that would take advantage of that skill, if such a vessel doesn't exist which needs an officer, then his next highest skill is used instead. And so on through the officers.
I'm sure the current system already does something like this.
But my suggestion is this, once all the skilled officers have found assignments the leftovers are sorted by how high their crew training rating is, ships are then sorted into military and commercial vessels, and also by tonnage.
Then from the heaviest military ship down the officers are assigned, after military ships are crewed commercial ships are crewed next.
I didn't mention the minimum rank required though, I guess the highest rank officers should be applied to the highest rank ships first, then only when running out of ships requiring ranks over 1 would the leftovers be assigned as I suggested.
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "

Offline Thundercraft

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Ensign Navigator
« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2016, 11:10:52 AM »
I actually think the idea of a bomb type weapon that uses the launching vehicle's speed is pretty intriguing, but I'm not sure if it fits with the lore idea of inertialess drives.

Give it a range of speed x 5 and maybe have it work like missiles fired within 5 seconds of their range...
That was pretty much my idea. That these can work as early game weapons for making Carrier fighters/bombers somewhat potent before TL4-5, but after that they are marginalized and not really used anymore...
+1
I like the idea.

I know it has been asked before. But we could really use some way to move to distant companions stars. There's so many of them, 1000+ billion km away from the main star. And they often have planets. It's just so... irritating, seeing them but not being able to reach them...
2nd the motion to be able to move to distant companion stars. either a return to hyperdrive or some other method...
Or a mechanic for adding in a LP even if were only in SM.

Yes. Would be nice if distant companion stars had an LP to connect them to the main star.
"Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine." - Sir Arthur Stanley Eddington

Offline siath

• Leading Rate
  • s
« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2016, 04:40:20 PM »
Conditional Orders for Survey Teams to automate this process a bit. 

An option to keep teams fully staffed or staffed to a set number of people. 

An option to all the automatic replacement of governors and HQ leaders.   I miss them dying or retiring all the time.

Option for survey teams to not mark a place as a colony? Maybe a special mark showing it has been surveyed by a team (ST)?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 04:44:48 PM by siath »

Offline CharonJr

• Lt. Commander
  • C
« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2016, 10:32:50 AM »
It would be nice if naval officers could be sorted by "tonnage destroyed" in order to help with finding "aces" and giving them a medal.

Offline Yitzi

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • Y
Bigger is Always Better
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2016, 03:34:28 AM »
Perhaps we could get more spinal mounted guns? Maybe stacked ones, too.  I'm thinking spinal mounts of just about every gun (railguns and gauss cannons).  If you remember Halo, their ships have massive spinally mounted gauss guns.  I really want to replicate that.

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
Re: Bigger is Always Better
« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2016, 03:42:25 AM »
Perhaps we could get more spinal mounted guns? Maybe stacked ones, too.  I'm thinking spinal mounts of just about every gun (railguns and gauss cannons).  If you remember Halo, their ships have massive spinally mounted gauss guns.  I really want to replicate that.

Having multiples kind of defeats the point of them, they are designed to be a big gun with an engine and a ship build around it. To have more than one would be just two ships strapped together. Gun of different sizes can already be made so we already have the variety.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2016, 08:25:25 AM »
A research line allowing twin, triple, quad spinals? Please? :(
Or maybe double, triple, quad sized spinals?
Oh boy, 500 mm spinal carronade of doom XD

Offline Aloriel

• Lieutenant
« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2016, 09:09:28 AM »
I would like to see separate message categories for "officer retires" and "officer dies", or one merged category for both of these messages: "Officer lost"

In the present system, to catch both of those type of messages, you have to have both "officer health" and "officer update" messages unhidden. When you have several hundred officers, officer update can be incredibly spammy, and officer health contains a somewhat deceptive message about long term illnesses that sometimes force a retirement, but usually don't.

Adding this separate category would help us catch when one of our officers has left service for any reason.
Sarah
Game Developer in Unity and UE4 and 5

The following users thanked this post: Havan_IronOak

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2016, 04:36:00 PM »
A Shore Leave command similar to the Overhaul. Should reduce the crew clock.

Offline 22367rh

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • ?
« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2016, 02:14:50 PM »
Would it be possible to add the option to open multiple system viewer (F3) screens (such that we could load one for each solar system if so desired).

Would not need the top action bar or the time incrementation sections in these new versions.
Also the display settings could be moved out to a single "Sub-Viewer" options section that'd apply the same options to all the instances of the viewer.

The reason for requesting this is that I have 2 monitors, my primary for Aurora is a 1920x1080 but I have a 3840x2160 that I'd like to use to supervise other solar systems without having to cycle the main viewer.

Offline Tssha

• Petty Officer
« Reply #88 on: January 12, 2016, 11:06:25 PM »
Could ships undergoing refit be persuaded not to try executing their default orders? It's a bit annoying having to clear default orders, then forgetting to reset them later, just because they finished their overhaul before their refit completed and they keep interrupting your turns to tell you they can't find any new survey targets in Sol.

I mean, it's not like they're going anywhere until the refit is completed. ;)

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2016, 04:50:18 AM »
Could ships undergoing refit be persuaded not to try executing their default orders? It's a bit annoying having to clear default orders, then forgetting to reset them later, just because they finished their overhaul before their refit completed and they keep interrupting your turns to tell you they can't find any new survey targets in Sol.

I mean, it's not like they're going anywhere until the refit is completed. ;)

Could be very useful to have it work at least for overhauls, now that the new maintenance/hangar/overhaul rules which allow you to conduct these in deep space for survey and front-line needs.