Author Topic: Trials of Life  (Read 1620 times)

Offline Þórgrímr (OP)

• Rear Admiral
    • The World of the Gunny
Trials of Life
« on: March 20, 2008, 02:25:49 PM »
On thursday March 13, at 14:50 hrs I was cooking myself some lunch when all of a sudden my chest began to tighten and I could not take even a small breath. Needless to say, I thought the ole Gunny was about to cash in his chips. To make a long story somewhat shorter I was rushed to the hospital for many a test.

After hours of tests it was found that my heart rate when was 142 beats per minute - that was at rest- blood pressue was 285 over 115 and oxygen levels in the blood were down to a dangerous level of 83% saturation. Now you may be wondering what all this gobeldy-gook means, well what it means is that I was just short of checking out, permenantly.

Over the next few hours it was determined my heart was ok, just having to beat more to get the proper levels of oxygen to my cells. What the problem turned out to be was I have a Bi-Lateral Pulmonary Embolism. In layman's terms in means I have blood clots in both of my lungs. Hence the reason I could not breathe and my oxy levels were so low. And that caused my heart to work overtime, damn near killing me in the process, to keep the oxygen flowing. Then I come to find out that the probable source for the blood clots are my bad right leg I have been going round and round with Uncle Sam about. Bastards.

Then to make matters even more 'joyful' I found out I was a full blown diabetic, and have to use the needle for the rest of my life.  :evil:

So, to sum it up, I have blood clots in both lungs and cannot breathe properly, and I am a newly diagnosed diabetic.  

I am mainly writing this to inform you all of why I had disappeared and why my net activities may be curtailed until I can get rid of these blood clots in my lungs and I can do more than just lie in bed gasping like a fish out of water.

Cheers, ??rgr?mr
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Þórgrímr »
Sic vis pacem, para bellum
If you want peace, prepare for war

Offline ShadoCat

• Commander
    • http://www.assistsolar.com
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 06:17:29 PM »
If you want any tips for dealing with the diabetes, email me (shadocat 2atcoxdotnet).

I have a friend that I've known for over 20 years who has had it since he was a kid.  What I haven't picked up over that time, he knows.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by ShadoCat »

Offline ocie

• Chief Petty Officer
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 11:18:42 PM »
As a 18 year paramedic, i can tell you that you are one lucky man! Bi-lat PE's are almost invariably fatal. Do what the doc says, you are probably on or will be on a blood thinner for life. Get a good glucometer and check often. It aint have DM that kills you, its the rapid fluctuations in blood sugar. Get a good podiatrist, save your toes!
Good luck partner.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by ocie »

Offline Þórgrímr (OP)

• Rear Admiral
    • The World of the Gunny
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 07:45:23 AM »
@ Shadocat, thanks for the tips bud, they help a lot.  :wink:  :D

Cheers, ??rgr?mr

Offline rmcrowe

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 04:00:56 PM »
Warfarin is actually a fairly standard treatment for blood clots.  My mother-in-law was put on it for some time a decade ago (by the docs, not me).  Never mind that most of it is sold as a rat poison.

Get better, even if the only option is slowly.

robert
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by rmcrowe »

Offline Þórgrímr (OP)

• Rear Admiral
    • The World of the Gunny
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 05:15:07 PM »
Quote from: "rmcrowe"
Warfarin is actually a fairly standard treatment for blood clots.  My mother-in-law was put on it for some time a decade ago (by the docs, not me).  Never mind that most of it is sold as a rat poison.

Get better, even if the only option is slowly.

robert

Mmm, rat poison.  8)

Cheers,  ??rgr?mr

Offline MWadwell

• Commander
Re: Trials of Life
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 03:49:19 PM »
Quote from: "??rgr?mr"
Then to make matters even more 'joyful' I found out I was a full blown diabetic, and have to use the needle for the rest of my life.  :evil:

Well, I've been a insulin-dependant diabetic now for 15+ years, and the bad news is, you never get used to the needles...... But the good news is that studies have shown that with well controlled diabetes you won't suffer any side effects.

If you have any questions or would like some advice, drop me a line - mtw(at)ANSTO.gov.au .

Oh, and as to Warfarin, both my father-in-law and mother has had it (due to DVT), and they suffered no side effects - so here's hoping that the same occurs for you.

Best of luck!

Later,
Matt
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by MWadwell »
Later,
Matt

Offline Þórgrímr (OP)

• Rear Admiral
    • The World of the Gunny
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 04:21:05 PM »
Quote from: "MWadwell"
Well, I've been a insulin-dependant diabetic now for 15+ years, and the bad news is, you never get used to the needles...... But the good news is that studies have shown that with well controlled diabetes you won't suffer any side effects.

If you have any questions or would like some advice, drop me a line - mtw(at)ANSTO.gov.au .

Oh, and as to Warfarin, both my father-in-law and mother has had it (due to DVT), and they suffered no side effects - so here's hoping that the same occurs for you.

Best of luck!

Later,
Matt

Matt, thanks I will drop you an email for some advice. As for the Warfarin I am worried because they told me I may need to be on blood thinners for life. And with 82 side effects I think if I take that for a long time I may be zapped by one.

Thats the big worry for me right now, but the INR they are going to perform Wednesday sould let them know if I have to use Blood Thinners or not for life. Lets hope the nasty li'l buggers, the clots, have reduced in size.

Cheers, ??rgr?mr

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 08:29:09 PM »
Sorry to hear about the news ??rgr?mr,

Like Matt I'm diabetic (althogh not insulin dependant yet) but I've found so far that it hasn't really made much difference, other than making sure I excercise much more regularly than I used to, and some fairly minor dietery changes,  chiefly regarding WHEN I eat rather than WHAT - in many ways I'm actually heathier since I was diagnosed.

Regarding Warfarin, I also have taken this long term (due to a DVT after surgery), and did not suffer any complications or side effects (I read the packaging and nearly had a fit from all the things they said MIGHT happen) - the only thing was I had to stop all alchohol while I was on it (major bummer for a Scot). Mind you I was lucky enough that my DVTs disolved in about a week, and they kept me on W for about a year.   I do still have to take it when flying long haul (ie more or less anywhere when leaving Australia).

Best of luck with the test results.

BTW matt - new eddress?  New job?

Slainthe

Mike T
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by ZimRathbone »
Slàinte,

Mike

Offline MWadwell

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 09:12:27 PM »
Quote from: "ZimRathbone"
Sorry to hear about the news ??rgr?mr,

Like Matt I'm diabetic (althogh not insulin dependant yet) but I've found so far that it hasn't really made much difference, other than making sure I excercise much more regularly than I used to, and some fairly minor dietery changes,  chiefly regarding WHEN I eat rather than WHAT - in many ways I'm actually heathier since I was diagnosed.

Yep - being diabetic has some benefits - like a way better diet....

Regarding Warfarin, I also have taken this long term (due to a DVT after surgery), and did not suffer any complications or side effects (I read the packaging and nearly had a fit from all the things they said MIGHT happen) - the only thing was I had to stop all alchohol while I was on it (major bummer for a Scot). Mind you I was lucky enough that my DVTs disolved in about a week, and they kept me on W for about a year.   I do still have to take it when flying long haul (ie more or less anywhere when leaving Australia).

Best of luck with the test results.

Same with my mother - she goes on Warfarin as a pre-emptive treatment every time she flies to Canada (which is every 2 years) - and she has had no side effects.

BTW matt - new eddress?  New job?

Slainthe

Mike T

New job - at ANSTO (Australia Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation), as a reactor operator/engineer on the new OPAL reactor (whenever we get it back running).
Later,
Matt

Offline Þórgrímr (OP)

• Rear Admiral
    • The World of the Gunny
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 09:21:58 AM »
Matt and Mike, your posts make me feel a lot  better about Warfarin than I originally had. Seeing all those possible side effects had me a bit jumpy.

To everyone who replied to this thread your support, advice and encouragement has helped me control my worries over this situation. And for that I am deeply grateful. This is the reason I wanted to post this information here. I knew a lot of very smart folks graced these boards and could possibly lend some advice to help. I was right.  :D

Once again, I want to thank all those who have responded to this thread with my deepest thanks.

Cheers, ??rgr?mr

Offline rmcrowe

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 12:36:31 PM »
Presuming to speak for all of us, for the moment, "You are welcome".

robert
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by rmcrowe »

Offline MWadwell

• Commander
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 11:28:46 PM »
Quote from: "rmcrowe"
Presuming to speak for all of us, for the moment, "You are welcome".

robert

Ditto.

And ??rgr?mr, the offer of advise about the diabeties is open ended - feel free to drop me a line whenever....
Later,
Matt

Offline Þórgrímr (OP)

• Rear Admiral
    • The World of the Gunny
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 12:56:16 PM »
Quote from: "MWadwell"
Ditto.

And ??rgr?mr, the offer of advise about the diabeties is open ended - feel free to drop me a line whenever....

Matt, thanks bud. I am currently coallating a list of questions I will prolly send your way. Being a newb to the needle, I have plenty.  :D

Cheers,  ??rgr?mr