Author Topic: industry on a colony  (Read 1773 times)

Offline DasColonel (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • D
industry on a colony
« on: September 14, 2014, 01:07:58 PM »
Ok another dumb question.  I have established a colony on Mars have about 1. 75 Mill people.  How do I start building things there.  I have minerals coming from Earth via Mass driver as the initial survey did not find any on Mars.  I have team looking now.  But how do I start building? It shows time to completion NA. 

Thanks

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
Re: industry on a colony
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 01:38:59 PM »
you need to ship a little industry in to get things started.

If a planet doesn't have minerals, there's very little reason to colonize it, and your efforts are probably better spent elsewhere.

Offline DasColonel (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • D
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 01:44:39 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  Just wanted a colony anyway.  :) Will ship some items to Mars and see what happens.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 11:49:43 PM »
Construction factories and population or construction brigades are what's needed to produce installations.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Whitecold

• Commander
  • W
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 01:37:40 AM »
you need to ship a little industry in to get things started.

If a planet doesn't have minerals, there's very little reason to colonize it, and your efforts are probably better spent elsewhere.

Depends on how much you invest. If your terraformers are not doing anything better anyway, you may as well terraform Mars, and have some Population there. They still produce taxes, and it increases total population growth. A planet without mines can be very useful if you need to man some giant shipyards or so, and more population doesn't harm you.

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 10:32:21 AM »
There's no reason really to move your shipyards off Earth though.

I could see that in a distant system, a low-cost or no-cost colony might be good even without minerals just for the sake of manning shipyards and maintenance facilities, but in Sol there just isn't much point.

Offline Sagal

• Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 12:15:48 AM »
Bah you terraform every possible planet in the sol system just for the laughs. Especially if you got loads of terraformers like I usually do :)

Offline Whitecold

• Commander
  • W
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 12:58:43 AM »
There's no reason really to move your shipyards off Earth though.

I could see that in a distant system, a low-cost or no-cost colony might be good even without minerals just for the sake of manning shipyards and maintenance facilities, but in Sol there just isn't much point.
Still depends on how much population you have, and if you want to crew 100k ton military shipyards. If I run out of population on earth, the choice is usually moving either yards or RnD, and the yards are much less of a hassle than the research facilities.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 01:59:46 PM »
Mars will become a very good trading partner with Earth and the additional population and tax income will be invaluable as a game progress. You should pretty much settle any decent world that you can afford to terraform and protect. If you have nothing else to do on a planet you can always build Financial Centres there and enjoy even more money... :) ...you can also use industry later on to produce ship components and ship them back to Earth to speed up ship construction