Author Topic: Decoy FAC  (Read 2131 times)

Offline Aloriel (OP)

• Lieutenant
Decoy FAC
« on: August 20, 2013, 06:15:08 PM »
As some of you may be aware, I have been fighting a race that is vastly behind me in technology. Unfortunately, while they haven't produced much research, they have produced vast quantities of PDCs on their one and only world. These PDCs fire missiles in even larger quantities (a single salvo is perhaps 1000 missiles).

On the advice of another I have designed a FAC that is entirely a decoy for these missiles. It will be carried by a carrier to its destination, and then launched when near the planet. The goal is to have a ship that cannot be hit by their missiles. As such, I have designed this:

Code: [Select]
ADC Leucotis class Decoy    1,000 tons     4 Crew     192.8 BP      TCS 20  TH 360  EM 0
18000 km/s     Armour 1-8     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 0     PPV 0
Maint Life 1.37 Years     MSP 12    AFR 80%    IFR 1.1%    1YR 7    5YR 103    Max Repair 10 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 0.1 months    Spare Berths 6    

20 EP Magneto-plasma Drive (18)    Power 20    Fuel Use 69.18%    Signature 20    Exp 12%
Fuel Capacity 5,000 Litres    Range 1.3 billion km   (20 hours at full power)

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes
It goes nearly as fast as some of my missiles. My ASMs run at 21,400 km/s, and they cannot be targeted by the aliens.

Will this be sufficient to avoid ALL missiles with a maximum speed of 2500 km/s? I mean 0% chance to hit.

If it is, I figure I'll just park it right near their homeworld. Not so close that they can shoot it with beams, but close enough to draw fire and whittle away at their missile stocks.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 06:23:48 PM by Aloriel »
Sarah
Game Developer in Unity and UE4 and 5

Offline HaliRyan

• Lt. Commander
  • H
Re: Decoy FAC
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 11:37:27 AM »
I could be wrong so take this with a grain of salt, but I was under the impression that it's not possible to achieve a 0% hit chance against missiles.

Another option which would achieve the same result: set up four waypoints in a box around the planet at a distance of a couple million km, order the FAC to move to each of them in turn and set the orders on repeat. Then just set the game to run about 100 5-second increments and let them exhaust their stocks on your decoy while you go have a coffee and surf the net.

Offline clement

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • c
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 04:02:29 PM »
To get your fac to orbit the planet, instead of setting up waypoints, you can set an order to move to the planet and beneath the list panel the order is put into there is a text box for orbit distance in units of "k km". If you put 1000 in that text box, your ship will orbit at 1000K km, or 1,000,000 km. This will allow you to orbit a point with out having to constantly move the waypoints to keep up with the planets movement around the sun.

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 10:42:33 AM »
There's actually a better way to do this, particularly as you can't get 0% hit chance.  Get a ship with strong active defenses against their missiles and a hangar deck or two.  Then build the smallest fighter that you can, and load it up with those.  What you do is fly to the point the PDCs start shooting, and deploy the fighters.  They will launch salvoes at all of your ships, including the fighters.  Then pull the fighters back into the hangar bays.  The missiles attacking them will lose lock, and disappear.  Then when you deploy them again, the enemy will fire another salvo.  Repeat until they stop shooting.  It's a bit of work (and I don't think it can be automated), and the carriers will need to be able to defend themselves, but it's very effective.

To get your fac to orbit the planet, instead of setting up waypoints, you can set an order to move to the planet and beneath the list panel the order is put into there is a text box for orbit distance in units of "k km". If you put 1000 in that text box, your ship will orbit at 1000K km, or 1,000,000 km. This will allow you to orbit a point with out having to constantly move the waypoints to keep up with the planets movement around the sun.
That won't help.  You'll need to move into and out of range to force them to waste missiles.  The previous suggestion would work, as I don't think it would take that long to run them out of missiles.
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

Offline Wolfius

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • W
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 02:15:10 PM »
The planet shouldn't move very far in the time it takes to run them dry of missiles, but you can always turn orbital motion for planets off for a bit if it's a big deal, then back on when you're done.  Tho that means restarting the program each time you want to toggle it.

Offline Aloriel (OP)

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 01:41:34 AM »
My solution to this issue (and I should have posted this a while ago), was to simply shoot them from afar with very fast, powerful missiles. I took a break in the war for a few years. Their space forces were destroyed, so there was no real threat to Earth. I returned to Earth, and reloaded my missile cruisers. I also built a couple more, and a collier. Once those were fully trained, I flew back to their space. The bombardment lasted a few hours, and then there were no more PDCs.

Once the PDCs were cleared, I landed ground forces. The planet is mine.
Sarah
Game Developer in Unity and UE4 and 5

Offline Starmantle

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 10:42:59 PM »
Congrats on the hard-fought victory!