Author Topic: Possible memory leak  (Read 2600 times)

Offline Ekaton (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • E
Possible memory leak
« on: April 18, 2020, 07:35:27 PM »
No matter what you do, on the third day, the game will keep loading forever. It will try to load the next turn for hours, but it can never fully process it. It's 1.5.1 but may still be relevant. In any case, is there a chance to save this save? I've spent a lot of time working on it, I really don't want to lose it :( I've already lost 4 since switching to C#.

Here's db file: https://easyupload.io/k5f86h
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 07:38:40 PM by Ekaton »

Offline TinkerPox

• MIDN
  • Petty Officer
Re: Possible memory leak
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 07:45:46 PM »
C# has a garbage collector... I do not see how this could be a memory leak. That is one of the nice features it has over C++.

Offline Ekaton (OP)

• E
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 07:51:24 PM »
Something causes the game to process a turn indefinitely for hours at the precise same time.

Also, this save had had severe problems with turn processing - it took about 20 minutes to process 5 days in-game, and that disappeared when I restarted Aurora.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 09:41:32 PM »
Something causes the game to process a turn indefinitely for hours at the precise same time.

Also, this save had had severe problems with turn processing - it took about 20 minutes to process 5 days in-game, and that disappeared when I restarted Aurora.

Can you deactivate orbits and check if there are improvements?

Offline AlitarSemiramis

• Chief Petty Officer
  • A
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 09:59:54 PM »
C# has a garbage collector... I do not see how this could be a memory leak. That is one of the nice features it has over C++.

C# can have memory leaks, in fact, they are pretty common in UI code if you are not careful with event handlers.

The following users thanked this post: Prapor, Ekaton, Orb505

Offline Ekaton (OP)

• E
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 10:46:39 PM »

Can you deactivate orbits and check if there are improvements?

I deactivated them and nothing changed.

Offline Ekaton (OP)

• E
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 05:49:35 PM »
I ran it for 8 hours and the game was unable to process an 8 hour turn during this time. I guess it won't load at all. Is there a way to repair this save?

Offline Josephus

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • J
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2020, 07:26:39 PM »
I have the same problem.  Been trying to resolve a turn for about ten hours now, didn’t work.  Is there like a crash log or sth to determine the problem and save my progress? I spent the whole day playing and I hate to see it all go away like that.

Offline Disguy

• Petty Officer
  • D
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2020, 09:23:05 PM »
If you think you have a memory leak see what aurora is using in Window's task manager

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2020, 01:26:44 AM »
Has any of you send your DB to Steve? I would do that for one... .
Also it should be mentioned in the main bug thread because I don't think that Steve is reading a lot outside of it at the moment.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2020, 05:55:41 PM »
Has any of you send your DB to Steve? I would do that for one... .
Also it should be mentioned in the main bug thread because I don't think that Steve is reading a lot outside of it at the moment.

Yes Eka did here http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=10905.msg125552#msg125552

Also, I saw him following up on that but Steve was asking for more information regarding it if I am not wrong. I haven't seen a follow up on that.

It is also true that since only a couple of people had problems with Slowdown so there could be other reasons for that.

The 1.8 is stable and allowing longer gameplays and I guess we will find out very soon if there are long term issues with performances and turn processes. There are quite a few 5-sec increments issues with NPR as they are not functioning properly leading to many Obj Fix bugs, but maybe once we all get there (or at least a vast majority) Steve will may be able to optimize the code or find where (if any) the problem is.

Offline Grogfeld

• Able Ordinary Rate
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2020, 05:28:15 PM »
I had this problem but only when I selected autoturns and sub-pulse turn before clicking on processing turn.  It wasn't highlighted, so I thought that it was related with UI.  And always after loading game.  Since then, I just progress 5 day turn, so it's highlighted and then select sub-pulse length and autoturn.