Author Topic: Refueling  (Read 2719 times)

Offline Herode (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
Refueling
« on: August 06, 2011, 03:28:58 PM »
I have a Cargo TG which accidentaly ran out of fuel (stupid me ^^). I've built a ship with a lot of fuel storage and sent the tanker to the immobilized TG. As far as I understand the GUI, it looks like I can merge the two TG and ask them to equalize fuel which order, if I'm not wrong, will lead them to share their fuel reserves. Is it right ?

But I also wonder if there is a more standard way to refuel the ships. Because the two TG are at the same place (they are floating side to side outside the orbit of Uranus), I gave my Cargo TG the conditional order : fuel < 10% => refuel at nearest tanker within 4 jumps. But I've only got a warning in the Events logs :
cargo task group has qualified for a conditional order to refuel at thenearest tanker within 4 jumps. Unfortunately there is no tanker available

:-\

Offline Ziusudra

• Lt. Commander
  • Z
Re: Refueling
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 03:55:13 PM »
Yes, equalize fuel will try to fill all TG ships tanks to the same percentage.

Was this tanker you made flagged as a tanker in the ship design (upper right corner of design window)?

Offline Herode (OP)

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 05:20:17 PM »
So, such was the use of this mysterious collection of checkboxes...

It works perfectly now. Thanks for the tip !

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 06:03:00 AM »
So, such was the use of this mysterious collection of checkboxes...

It works perfectly now. Thanks for the tip !

The tanker, collier, etc checkboxes are so you don't get a long list of useless order options for every task group. Just those with the appropriate ship types. At the moment there are 145 different fleet orders :)

Steve

Offline Herode (OP)

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 10:06:50 AM »
Agreed, the checkboxes are a nice commodity here, although their semantics were not straightforwardly intuitive for a modest noob like me.  :)

My tanker now happily runs and refuels and jumps from one point of the system to another. I guess I should add some information about this point somewhere in the wiki for the forecoming new players - this post will be my reminder  :P .

Offline Herode (OP)

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 02:31:40 AM »
About conditional orders now.

I have a survey TG walking around in Kapteyns Star system, which is 2 jumps away from Sol (via Sirius). The TG has been assigned a conditional order :
if fuel < 50% => Refuel at Colony or Tanker within 4 jumps.

Of course, Sol has at least one colony where a TG can refuel, and a Tanker TG is waiting at the Sol-Sirius JP. But the Events log says : your TG has qualified for conditional orders but unfortunately, there is no colony or tanker available.

What am I missing here ?

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 09:59:58 AM »
Can the TG jump on its own?

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 12:13:12 PM »
Is the TG jump capable?

I know that a TG with a single (jump capable) ship will jump through jumppoints to refuel
I am pretty sure, TGs will use jump-gates to refuel

I am not sure, TGs which contain a jump ship, but where not all ships are jump capable will jump through a jumppoint (although they should).

If a TG has no jumpship, but a jumpship is stationed at the jumppoint (i.e. a jump tender) they will *not* jump. Aurora can´t know, if the jump tender is still there, when the ship arrives at the jumppoint, after all.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Herode (OP)

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 01:18:09 PM »
If a TG has no jumpship, but a jumpship is stationed at the jumppoint (i.e. a jump tender) they will *not* jump.
OK, that's the reason then : no jump ship in the TG, a jump tender stationned on each jump point.

Aurora can´t know, if the jump tender is still there, when the ship arrives at the jumppoint, after all.
Hmmm, if I give my TG an order like : Standard transit through Sirius Jump Point, Standard transit through Sol Jump Point, Refuel at Tanker, Aurora will accept the order. And if I move one of the jump tenders during the travel of the TG, the related jump will fail and the event log will display a warning. It's the same case, only I do it manually here and I ask Aurora to do it programmatically with the conditional orders. Isn't it ?

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 01:37:20 PM »
Yes, but in one case, you give the order and are therefore also responsible for keeping the jumpship on station.
In the other case, aurora gives the order, but you might not notice this, and when you move the jumpship away and later receive the "transit failed" message would go: "what jump? I didn´t order no jump!"
Basicly, Aurora will only give automated orders for things, it has full control about.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Herode (OP)

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 07:13:11 AM »
What's the difference between these 2 orders (given to a tanker TG) :

- Refuel target fleet
- Refuel from own tankers

???

Offline Cassaralla

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 08:03:05 AM »
As I understand it . . .

Refuel target fleet - refuels another task group as it's target from the tankers in the original task group.

Refuel from own tankers - refuels non tanker ships within the same task group from tankers in that task group.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 03:37:20 PM »
As I understand it . . .

Refuel target fleet - refuels another task group as it's target from the tankers in the original task group.

Refuel from own tankers - refuels non tanker ships within the same task group from tankers in that task group.

That's correct.

Steve

Offline Herode (OP)

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 04:49:11 PM »
Hmmm, I'm not sure to understand precisely the point...

So : if TG #A is a a tanker TG and TG #B some other fleet ->

- TG #A -> Refuel target fleet TG #B : TG A refuels TG B
- TG #A -> Refuel from own tankers TG #B : TG #B refuels TG #A if TG #B includes ships designed as tankers, and the order fails if it does not.

Am I correct ?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 04:59:49 PM »
Hmmm, I'm not sure to understand precisely the point...

So : if TG #A is a a tanker TG and TG #B some other fleet ->

- TG #A -> Refuel target fleet TG #B : TG A refuels TG B
- TG #A -> Refuel from own tankers TG #B : TG #B refuels TG #A if TG #B includes ships designed as tankers, and the order fails if it does not.

Am I correct ?

The top one is correct.

With a "Refuel from own tankers" order there is no second fleet involved. When TG A executes that order, the tankers in TG A refuel the non-tankers in TG A. The order is telling the task group to use its own tanker(s) to refuel itself, useful for example if a battle fleet has a tanker along with additional fuel.

Steve