Author Topic: Repulsion's Copious Pile of Questions  (Read 12751 times)

Offline Repulsion (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • R
Repulsion's Copious Pile of Questions
« on: September 26, 2011, 07:33:44 AM »
So, I was gonna make another topic to ask a few more questions when I thought, why not just make a huge topic just to ask questions, instead of spamming the forums? So here we are.  (I'll use this topic for any further questions that I might will have.

Q1: Why did I start with Ion Engines and some other advanced stuff in my new game? The only real difference between this game and my others is that I started in 2010, instead of 2025. 

Q2: What does 'picket'ing at 1km/s do, or what is it used for?

Q3: What does activating a ship's transponder do?

Q4: What kind of sensors do you guys typically use, and how do you design them? I know for Anti-missile fire control sensors you want a resolution of 1, but I have no idea for any others, and I really don't want to play a guessing game. 

Q5: How do you drag something/transport it between different places?

Q6: How do civilian mining colonies and shipping lines pop up?

Q7: How do sub-pulses work? As far as I know, you can choose to pass the time with time intervals everywhere from 5 seconds to 30 days.  Does the sub-pulse just determine how fast these intervals pass, or do they determine when actions happen in time intervals?

Q8: On my mining/maintenance tab, Corundium and Duranium are orange.  What does this mean?

Q9: HOW do ground units work? As of now, I have absolutely no idea, and I can't seem to find any tutorial (yet, that is. )

Offline Jacob/Lee

• Lt. Commander
  • (Where I got this .gif beats me!)
Re: Repulsion's Copious Pile of Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 07:44:18 AM »
1)There's an option to start with tech and ship designs at game start I believe.

2)No clue.

3)No clue.

4)I generally design 10-15 res sensors up to size 20 on my combat designs.

5)For installations you need freighters, for minerals you need freighters or mass drivers. You can issue an order to load installations/ore if the fleet you are ordering has cargo holds in it.

6)You start with one line, try dropping some colonists on Mars with some infrastructure, that should give the civs a kick in the pants and make them do stuff.

7)Not sure.

8)If I had to guess, it may be something used for maintenance. Just a guess, though.

9)If enemies are on whatever rock your soldiers are on, you can initiate ground combat. At the bottom of the "Ground Units" tab is a dropdown to select hostile units, pick a target and hit the button to attack them. Combat is played in rounds, much like boarding. Eventually, one side will die, generally leaning towards the side with better units and better tech.

Offline shadenight123

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • Gamer's thoughts-my blog
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 07:50:55 AM »
orange stands for: you are going to consume more than your annual production+stockpile can give you in the year. so unless you stop building something, eventually you will reach 0 in that material. and will have to wait for more to be dug out from mines.
people die all the time, it's not a problem.
it is if you're sending them to die.
i'm not. they just need to learn to be better.
at NOT BREATHING ON MARS!?
they need NOT TO CARE!
my blog (updated 17/12/2011) (updated every saturday):
http://shadenight123.blogspot.com/

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 07:52:29 AM »
1.  Depends on the random assignment of your initial tech points - sometime you'll find that your way ahead on sensors, but Lasers & Missiles have been utterly ignored, the next game could be quite the reverse.

2. Speed 1 means that your thermal signature is very low, and therefore will be difficult to detect.  I frequently use it with the Gate Builders (they're no going anywhere for 3-6 months, why scream come and eat me to any presursors/swarm/invaders/NPRs that you may have missed?

3. pretty much the reverse of 2 - transponders say HERE I AM to anyone in system - usually used by civs.

4.  Res depends on what you want to find - as you say res 1 is for missiles, I usually have another series of sensors at res 100 to pick up fleet units (5Kt+), sometimes a res20 (1000t) to pickup gunboats, as I often use this size of unit extensively .  NPR created ships also often have an anti-fighter series at res 4 (200t).  I Have experimented with res 400 purely for picking up capital units, but frequently find this less useful as it loses the 5000t until quite close in (its not bad as part of a fleet of other sensors tho)

5. Tugs with ship-to-ship tractors have the option of picking up individual units, moving them to a new location and dropping them.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 07:54:45 AM by ZimRathbone »
Slàinte,

Mike

Offline Din182

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 07:54:05 AM »
1. You probably clicked the option that tells your game to research the starting techs for you.
2. I'm not sure what the difference between a move to option and a picket is besides that fact that it turn your ship speed down to 1km/s
3. It sends out a signal that can be seen by anyone. Useful if you want to attract the enemy.
4. Make the anti missile sensors sensor strength twice that of your longest range antimissile defense vs size 6 missiles. If you use missiles, make the anti-ship sensor at least twice the distance vs 5000. If you use beams, make it a decent size, but don't do it too small or too large.
5. You mean something like a construction factory? You use a ship with at least 5 cargo holds. Or do you mean a shipyard? You use a ship with a tractor beam.
6. I'm not sure what's required for a shipping line, but a colony needs a certain number of population and at least 1 body in the system without a colony on it.
7. Certain things will happen more often with shorter sub-pulses. What exactly? I'm not sure.
8. It means that you are using them faster than you are mining them.
9. I've never even used ground units before. But I do know their ability in combat is dictated by their combat readiness. So a unit with 50% combat readiness will be at half strength.

EDIT: I got Ninja'd
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 07:56:55 AM by Din182 »
Invader Fleet #13090 has notified Fleet Command that it intendeds to Unload Trade Goods at Earth!

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 08:11:36 AM »
Several other contribs ninja's my previous post, but a few points in the remaining Qs.

6.   The pseudocode for generating a civ mining colony was poated in the last week or so - try a search for CMC.  Its possible to create additional shipping lines manually on the cntrl-L window in SM mode.

7. Sub pulses are used to carry out checks (particularly detection) within your chosen time interval. There IS a significant processing overhead so you will  get a warning if you try to run a long interval with short sub-pulses.  The idea is to try an avoid the situation where two units suddenly reach short range when (in the real world) they would normally be expected to have spotted one or another at much greater range.

8. anwered

9. Too long to anwer in the time i've got avalaible tonight sorry
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 08:13:30 AM by ZimRathbone »
Slàinte,

Mike

Offline Repulsion (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 08:22:50 AM »
Thanks guys.    Wasn't expecting this many answers at (what is for me) 6 in the morning.    Anyways, I must have enabled the starting tech thing.   .   .   

And I'm sure I'll figure out the sensor thing soon enough.   

Edit: Also, it appears a comet is heading right towards my sun.   There aren't any.  .  .   collisions in this game, are there?

Edit 2: Also, my Shipyard 1 can't retool/get a class assigned to it, for some reason.  Nothing is different compared to the other shipyards, except that it's slipway capacity is 24000 and it's 'Ty', instead of showing N, shows C. 
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 08:57:56 AM by Repulsion »

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 08:56:59 AM »
Thanks guys.   Wasn't expecting this many answers at (what is for me) 6 in the morning.   Anyways, I must have enabled the starting tech thing.  .  .   

And I'm sure I'll figure out the sensor thing soon enough.   

Edit: Also, it appears a comet is heading right towards my sun.  There aren't any. . .  collisions in this game, are there?
No collisions in the game between objects.  Some npr races have a bit of code to permit ramming but this is not something that a player can order.

On a previous post the orange color for your mineral useage says that what you have qued up is going to use more than the minerals you are mining in one year.  One important point however is that you could easily have more than one years production qued up and while it will turn orange, you might still be having a net increase in minerals.  To see what I mean just que up something really ridiculous like 1000 shipyards.  There is no way that you can build that in one year, but the program will show that you are building more than you can support with the minerals that will be mined in one year.  Also note that the program does not care if the availability of minerals is going to change, or how many minerals or on the planet when it makes this calculation, just what the current rate of mining is.

Brian

Offline Ashery

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • A
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 12:08:14 PM »
Most've already been answered, but I'll throw in my two cents anyhow.

Q3: If I'm recalling correctly, this also serves as a means by which to establish diplomatic contact. Note that contact is established in two directions: Them -> you and you -> them, if that makes sense. Activating the transponder will count as the former if they have a presence in the system. Having a recon vessel discover one of their colonies with an active sensor counts as the latter (Among various other possibilities).

Q4: I'm looking at going for a massive R1 sensor on my flagships with a smaller (1/3 to 1/4th the size of the R1) R60 for ship detection. Any ship with PD will also get a small R1 sensor as backup.

I'll be skipping over the anti-FAC sensor as I'd need to make it over a quarter of the size of the R1 to get any benefit out of it at all.

Q6: For a shipping line to start constructing ships you need the following: A place for them to ship colonists/trade goods to and have a set of commercial freighters/colony ships designed for their use. The easiest way to get civilian construction started is to simply drop a batch of infrastructure on Mars.

For the commercial mining colonies, you need a body with at least 15k+ duranium and/or sorium with 0.7+ accessibility that has not already been flagged as a colony. You can establish a colony there after the initial CMC development and it will not interfere with further CMC development. I might be wrong with some of the details here, but I'm pretty sure this is accurate.

Q9: There's a thread that I remember reading that went into extensive detail here, will spend some time looking for it and edit it in instead of typing out pages worth of material that already exists.

Edit 2 response: Shipyards are of two types, naval/military and commercial. Commercial ships ignore maintenance but have many restrictions placed on potential designs, the largest being that no weapons capable of offensive attacks can be mounted (So only CIWS). I'm pretty sure, however, that commercial ships can be built in naval shipyards, just not vice versa.

Edit for Q9: The original post has some out of date info, but the quoted part applies currently. There might've also been some tweaks to the calculation (You will, for instance, inflict more casualties the higher your offensive combat ratio gets. That mechanic was introduced to prevent small garrisons from holding out for extended periods of time when faced with overwhelming opposition).

Combat
Any race with GCU on a planet can choose to attack ground units or PDCs of another race on the same planet. Note that attacking and defending are two different actions so the attacked race may decide to remain on the defensive and not counter-attack. If both sides attack each other, two separate combats are calculated. As the combat is potentially covering the entire planet, each combat round takes place during the five day increment. If time is advanced by more than five days, one combat round takes place for every 5 days in the increment.

Attacking ground forces will have the option to concentrate their efforts on a specific PDC (based on sensor contacts) or fight a general action against enemy ground forces outside PDCs (if there are any). This is accomplished by choosing which PDC or Population to attack on the Ground Units tab of the Economics window. If a PDC is under attack, only the defenders of that specific PDC are able to take part in the defensive battle. However, troops can emerge from other PDCs to fight an offensive action against the attackers in the field and try to destroy them. Obviously this won?t be a good idea if there are enemy spacecraft within weapon range. If the attackers are concentrating on a specific PDC, the defenders are able to move around between other PDCs but are not able to reinforce a PDC under attack. In addition, the PDC under attack may not reload its magazines from the planetary stockpile.

If a PDC is captured (i.e. all ground forces within it are eliminated), it becomes part of the attacking player?s forces. He can move troops in to garrison it and the defenders may try to recapture it. There may be a chance the defender will attempt to blow up the PDC or damage its systems before it is captured, depending on his racial characteristics.

Combat Ratio and Casualties
When an attack is carried out, the total attack strength of the attacker is compared to the total defence strength of the defender to create the Combat Ratio. For example, if Race A had an attack strength of 300 and Race B had a defence strength of 200, the Combat Ratio would be 300 / 200 = 1.5. Although defenders do have an advantage, this is already built into the attack and defence strengths of each unit type so the combat ratio is unaffected unless a PDC is involved. If the defenders are in a PDC, they gain a defensive multiplier equal to one third of the PDC?s armour. For example, defenders with a total defence strength of 50 within a PDC with 8 armour would have a modified defence strength of 50 x 8/3 = 133.33.

Each defending unit has a percentage chance of being destroyed equal to the Combat Ratio multiplied by 10. For example, if the Combat Ratio was 2.7, then every defending unit would have a 27% chance of being destroyed.

Each attacking unit has a percentage chance of being destroyed equal to 10 divided by the Combat Ratio. For example, if the Combat Ratio was 2.2 then each attacking unit would have a 10/2.2 = 4.5% chance of being destroyed. If the Combat Ratio was 0.4 then each attacking unit would have a 10/0.4 = 25% chance of being destroyed. Note that for a combat ratio of 1.0, both sides will have a ten percent chance of losing each unit.

HQ units have only half the normal chance to be destroyed as they will tend to be behind the lines. There are no damaged ground units in Aurora. They are either at full strength or they are destroyed.

Morale
Each GCU starts with a Morale of 100. As long as its morale stays at this level it has no effect on combat. If the morale is increased or decreased, it affects both the attack and defence strengths of the unit. The modifier is equal to Strength x (Morale/100). For example, a unit with 110 Morale would have attack and defence strengths 10 percent higher than normal. A unit with 80 Morale would have attack and defence strengths 20 percent less than normal. In addition, when the roll is made after combat to determine if a unit is lost, the chance of being destroyed is divided by the unit?s Morale/100. For example, if a unit with 120 Morale has a fifteen percent chance to be destroyed, the modified chance = 15% / (120/100) = 12.5%, so this unit has now only a 12.5% chance of being destroyed. This simulates that lower morale units are more likely to be destroyed than higher morale units.

Commanders
Officers may be assign to command a division or headquarters unit in the same way as they command a ship, a population or a fighter group. An officer?s Ground Combat Bonus improves the attack and defence strengths of any GCU to which he is assigned. In addition, the Ground Combat Bonus of the most senior HQ commander within a PDC will modify the combat strengths of all other units in that same PDC and the Ground Combat Bonus of the most senior HQ commander outside a PDC will modify the combat strengths of all other units outside of PDCs.

Supply
Ground Combat Units do not require any type of supply.

Occupation
If all PDCs and defending ground units are eliminated, the attacking player may be in a position to conquer and occupy the defending population. The required garrison strength is based on the defence strength of the occupying force. The garrison strength required to force a surrender is equal to:

Pop in millions * Racial Determination/100 * Racial Militancy/100

For example, if the defenders have a population of 400m, a Determination of 60 and a Militancy of 50, the required garrison strength will be: 400 * (60/100) * (50/100) = 120. Note that this is a minimum amount required to force a surrender. It may be desirable to station a larger force on the planet to avoid disruption to its production facilities.

When a population is conquered, there is a chance some tech will be recovered by the occupying forces. A check is made against every background tech known by the conquered race but not the conquering race. The percentage chance of learning each tech is equal to Pop in million/5. For example, conquering a pop of 200m will yield a 40% chance of learning each background tech known by the conquered race.

Steve
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 12:17:16 PM by Ashery »

Offline Din182

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 05:19:44 PM »
Also, my Shipyard 1 can't retool/get a class assigned to it, for some reason.  Nothing is different compared to the other shipyards, except that it's slipway capacity is 24000 and it's 'Ty', instead of showing N, shows C. 

Do you have any commercial vessels?
Invader Fleet #13090 has notified Fleet Command that it intendeds to Unload Trade Goods at Earth!

Offline Sloshmonger

• S
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 05:28:32 PM »
Do you have any commercial vessels?

Do you have any commercial vessels with a tonnage less than or equal to the shipyard tonnage?

Offline Repulsion (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 06:38:17 PM »
Er, two are being built, yes.    Both the Manticore and the Phoenix are 800 tons.   

Also, some more questions.    (X represents any given number, just so you know)

Q10: What does the x/x/x/x sensor thing mean for ships? The different sensors it has? And if so, which part represents which type of sensor?

Q11: Maintenance life is how long it needs before a ship needs to resupply at a colony, right? And what affects the maintenance life?

Q12: Also, similar to Q10, although simpler, what does x/x armor and x/x shield mean?

Edit: Oh wait, just realized that most of these are answered in the glossary.   What affects maintenance life, though?
Edit 2: More questions

Q13: What does a cargo handling system do? I know a cargo hold lets you carry stuff around, but not sure what a handling system does.

Q14: Would you recommend an active sensor for a freighter, Gravsurvey, or Geosurvey ship?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 07:05:05 PM by Repulsion »

Offline wedgebert

• Ace Wiki Contributor
  • w
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 07:53:06 PM »
Q10:  Those are your passive sensor strengths, it's Thermal/EM/Gravitational/Geological

Q12:  For armor, it's Thickness / Width.    So a 3/10 ship has armor 10 wide and 3 deep.   

cQ13:  A cargo handling system divides the time it takes to load/unload cargo/troops/etc by its rating.    So a standard system with a rating of 5 means you load/unload cargo 5x as fast.    You can stack multiple systems to further decrease the required time. 

Q14:  In order to qualify as a commerical ship, you cannot have any sensors larger than 1 HS which severely limits your active sensor strength.    I usually just stick to small passive sensors for all non-combat ships. 

edit: Removed horribly incorrect stuff about shields :/
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 09:36:09 PM by wedgebert »

Offline Din182

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 07:54:45 PM »
10. Thermal/Em/Grav/Geo
11. Yes. The overhaul clock and combat. The more time on the overhaul clock, the shorter maintenance life. And combat uses up maintenance supplies at double the normal rate for every damaged system.
12. Armour: Thickness/Width. Every point of thickness represents how many points of damage a location can take and width is how many places the damage can go. Shields: Strength/Recharge. Strength is the damage it can take and recharge is how long it takes to fully recharge.
13. Handling system speeds up cargo loading/unloading.
14. Freighter: Definitely NOT! Gravsurvey ship: Maybe. Depends if you want to explore the jump points with them
Geosurvey ship: No

Offline Repulsion (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 07:58:58 PM »
Okay, thanks guys.   One more.  .  . 

Q15: How do I unlock a design? Say, if I want to modify it to have more engines or some such? And how do I make it so that a design is 'finished' as in I'm fine with it and I want civilians to start using it if they want to.  Is it automatic?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 08:08:13 PM by Repulsion »