Author Topic: Through Struggle, the Stars  (Read 9095 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Through Struggle, the Stars
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 09:45:47 AM »
Steve: There is a "Self Publish with us" link at the bottom of the page on Amazon, that your best starting place, it appears to have links to the publishing guides and further help.

Thanks - I'll investigate

Steve

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 07:49:30 PM »
Sounds very interesting. Unfortunately I don't have a kindle :(. I guess it might be time to get one. Also interesting that he chose Through Struggle, the Stars. That phrase is more commonly seen in latin (Per aspera ad astra)

Steve

Steve - I currently use my iTouch (a non-phone iPod version of the iPhone) to do all my reading, using either the Kindle app or the iBooks app.  While it is a little small, it is very convenient in that I can carry it anywhere, all the time, so that I always have my books with me where-ever I go. 

Kurt

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2011, 02:25:09 PM »
Just finished reading it, was very good, looking forward to more :)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 08:29:27 AM »
Just finished reading it, was very good, looking forward to more :)

Yes, me too. The PC version of the kindle reader has an unfortunate issue where it doesn't separate paragraphs, which meant it was confusing in places where the action moved from one location to another with no apparent warning :). However, that is a technology issue rather than any issue with the book. I enjoyed reading it.

Steve

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2011, 11:30:24 PM »
Any recommendations on kindle books similar to this? Or any idea when the next in the series is scheduled?

I got an itch!

Offline Sotak246

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2011, 12:17:55 PM »
I just got done reading Battle Earth by Nick S. Thomas.  Good book about a slightly future Earth being invaded by aliens with advanced tech.

Mark Sotak

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2011, 01:25:39 PM »
You know that this is the english translation of the latin motto of the Royal Air Force?  I wonder if a request for royalties is in order  ;)
Welchbloke

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2011, 01:54:48 PM »
You know that this is the english translation of the latin motto of the Royal Air Force?  I wonder if a request for royalties is in order  ;)

I think that is alluded to in the novel.

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2011, 11:24:01 PM »
I just got done reading Battle Earth by Nick S. Thomas.  Good book about a slightly future Earth being invaded by aliens with advanced tech.

Mark Sotak

I'm reading it right now and would have deleted it after the first couple of chapters if I hadn't paid for it.

I am obviously not a writer but the book just doesn't read right, I find myself correcting some of the sentences to make them sound better and some of the dialogue is just plain wrong.

It is a decent premise for a story, but he should have had 3 or 4 people proof read it first :(

Offline jRides

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • j
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2012, 04:41:10 PM »
I've just finished Star Carrier Book One: Earth Strike by Ian Douglas, its very much along the same lines - as in a sci-fi book of future war more grounded in science fact. No gates this time though. If you enjoyed Through Struggle, the Stars then I daresay this would be worth your time too. Its a three part series, the third book is due out at the end of feb.

EDIT: I should mention that the description on Amazon (and the back of the book) bears pretty much just a passing resemblance to what the book is actually about. It was probably penned by a guy who had heard from some other bloke down the pub what it was about.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 04:44:38 PM by jRides »

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2012, 02:53:10 PM »
A completely different and unrelated military SF novel (and its short story prequel) I've just finished Turing Evolved and the short story Military Diorama by David Kitson are really very interesting, AI and VR stuff out the wazoo theyre available free from smashwords  http://smashwords.com/books/view/34627 or his own site http://wwwturingevolved.com/
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline IanD

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2012, 08:27:34 AM »
What’s the general opinion on Neal Asher's Polity novels? I read "Line War" (I think it’s the last in the Ian Cormac arc) at Christmas and enjoyed it. Shame its a little high tech to replicate on Aurora!
IanD

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2012, 11:49:46 AM »
I've just finished Star Carrier Book One: Earth Strike by Ian Douglas, its very much along the same lines - as in a sci-fi book of future war more grounded in science fact. No gates this time though. If you enjoyed Through Struggle, the Stars then I daresay this would be worth your time too. Its a three part series, the third book is due out at the end of feb.

EDIT: I should mention that the description on Amazon (and the back of the book) bears pretty much just a passing resemblance to what the book is actually about. It was probably penned by a guy who had heard from some other bloke down the pub what it was about.

I'm an Ian Douglas fan and reading some of his earlier books was part of the inspiration to create Newtonian Aurora. Even though they are mainly ground combat there is a naval combat element as well. If you haven't read them try the Heritage Trilogy, the Legacy Trilogy and the Inheritance Trilogy. You need to read them in order though as they are a nine book series.

Steve

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2012, 10:28:31 AM »
I'm an Ian Douglas fan and reading some of his earlier books was part of the inspiration to create Newtonian Aurora. Even though they are mainly ground combat there is a naval combat element as well. If you haven't read them try the Heritage Trilogy, the Legacy Trilogy and the Inheritance Trilogy. You need to read them in order though as they are a nine book series.

Steve

Interesting factoid:  Ian Douglas is actually a pen name for William H. Keith.

John

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2012, 02:59:49 PM »
That explains why I kept expecting Battlemechs in his Marine books..

Matt
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.