Author Topic: Update on Progress  (Read 252717 times)

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
Re: Update on Progress
« Reply #300 on: August 23, 2019, 01:54:39 PM »
I'm not sure how the save function is made but in one project that I worked with we dumped the save state into memory first and then had a new thread do the actual save to disk, this way the game could continue after the dump to memory which is pretty fast while the slower writing to disk take place. Not sure if this can be applicable here. I assume that C# is 64bit only so memory should generally not be a problem.

30sek seem like a pretty long time for saved data... I would not have a problem with it... just saying.

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #301 on: August 23, 2019, 06:46:20 PM »
Its a big old database, they can be a bit on the slow side.  Seems like not a big deal to me.

Offline Alucard

• Petty Officer
  • A
« Reply #302 on: August 24, 2019, 02:25:18 AM »
I just wonder whether Steve uses a TRANSACTION to save the game. Using a single TRANSACTION for large write operations in sqlite improved speed 20+ times for me in the past.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #303 on: August 24, 2019, 05:17:03 AM »
I just wonder whether Steve uses a TRANSACTION to save the game. Using a single TRANSACTION for large write operations in sqlite improved speed 20+ times for me in the past.

I am using a single transaction for each table, so all rows are committed at once.

The following users thanked this post: Alucard

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #304 on: August 24, 2019, 01:15:47 PM »
So Steve, how far along is C# Aurora? Not asking for release date, or even an exact breakdown, just curious how far along you feel it is as a project?

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #305 on: August 24, 2019, 02:33:18 PM »
So Steve, how far along is C# Aurora? Not asking for release date, or even an exact breakdown, just curious how far along you feel it is as a project?

I'm playing the game like I would VB6 Aurora, so in that sense it feels close to complete. As I mentioned I need to do the Diplomacy code, which I will tackle as soon as I meet an NPR. I also need to run some campaign ground battles, which should happen in this campaign. The AI is already much better than VB6, but I still need to handle AI ground invasions. In fact, C# already does virtually everything that VB6 does and a lot more besides.

Most of my time now is for testing, just running through normal play and fixing bugs as I find them. With a program this complex, there are always going to be minor bugs that I fix post-release, but I will feel better about releasing when I stop finding major bugs. Finally, I need to understand how to create a C# install program as I have never done that :) and I will probably obfuscate the code, so I need to understand how to do that as well. I guess the fact I am thinking about install programs is probably a good sign :)

Offline clement

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • c
« Reply #306 on: August 25, 2019, 01:56:08 PM »
Finally, I need to understand how to create a C# install program as I have never done that :) and I will probably obfuscate the code, so I need to understand how to do that as well. I guess the fact I am thinking about install programs is probably a good sign :)

Steve you don't need to make an install, especially if there are no additional thinks like registry keys that need to be installed. If you just gave an exe, dlls, and static resources like images then you could zip it like the VB version and that is it.

In my experience, installation apps are only needed when dealing with licensing or additional installs of frameworks.

The following users thanked this post: Theeht, Alucard, Titanian, Kiri

Offline Ynglaur

• Petty Officer
« Reply #307 on: August 26, 2019, 11:49:38 AM »
Counterpoint: learning to do new things--like build an installation package--can be fun.  :)

Offline Jarhead0331

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • J
« Reply #308 on: August 26, 2019, 09:35:25 PM »
Counter counterpoint: learning to build new things—like building an installation package—when not truly necessary can delay a release and prolong the suffering of all of Steve’s bros.

The following users thanked this post: clement

Offline Doren

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #309 on: August 27, 2019, 09:14:37 AM »
Installers also easily pollute the Windows registry. I have seen a lot of programs have varying degrees of success with keeping cohesion of their files and registry. Most start to fail once they need to install additional patches on top of the existing package and fail catastrophically once they need to remove the program and all installed packages

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #310 on: August 27, 2019, 02:51:30 PM »
What have I done...

Offline Shuul

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #311 on: August 28, 2019, 08:42:12 AM »
Steve, with all the latest updated in your AAR and bugs that you squished I wondered how 2 NPRs will interact? With the much faster speed of the C# I assume people will be able to run bigger games with numerous NPRs, will you test some scenarios on this? I assume some bugs may show up there as well.
Also, do NPRs distinguish between player and other NPRs? Do they take intelligence data into account or they have full data from the start?

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #312 on: August 28, 2019, 08:44:35 AM »
Steve, with all the latest updated in your AAR and bugs that you squished I wondered how 2 NPRs will interact? With the much faster speed of the C# I assume people will be able to run bigger games with numerous NPRs, will you test some scenarios on this? I assume some bugs may show up there as well.
Also, do NPRs distinguish between player and other NPRs? Do they take intelligence data into account or they have full data from the start?

My last test campaign will probably be a multi-race start in Sol with one player and multiple NPRs. That should really test the speed.

NPRs gather intelligence in the same way as players, although both players and NPRs have more intel data now than before. They don't distinguish between players and other NPRs.

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #313 on: August 28, 2019, 11:24:57 AM »
The Alien Ground Unit Intelligence system looks interesting if very basic.

I'm doubtful it needs to be more sophisticated though.

The following users thanked this post: Triato

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #314 on: August 29, 2019, 10:17:52 AM »
Another milestone achieved. First round of major ground combat concluded (not entire battle, just first increment). This involved substantial forces, including infantry, tanks, artillery and orbital bombardment support. Different formations were in field positions of front line attack, front line defence, support and rear echelon. Supply consumption, counter-battery fire and breakthroughs were all included. Many minor bugs squashed in the process and event reporting updated. Details will be in the next AAR.

The following users thanked this post: Beersatron, Garfunkel, clement, Ynglaur, V1D0, DIT_grue, DEEPenergy