VB6 Aurora > Advanced Tactical Command Academy

How much armor is "heavily armored"?

(1/3) > >>

xenoscepter:
Mostly the question in the title; however, I was wondering what everyone's take on armor was...

I generally consider 3 HS to be the minimum armor for my military ships with 4 HS worth of armor being "well armored" for things like freighters and 6 HS worth of armor being "well armored" for combat vessels.

Also, I like having at least 2 HS of armor on every ship, how much protection is that, generally speaking?

I do realize this is a difficult question, as in some games where I want speed and / or shields to be my main defense, 3 HS worth of armor becomes "heavily armored" on account of doctrine, but from a game play and mechanics standpoint, what are the benchmarks for "light", "medium", and "heavy" in regards to armor... in HS.

EDIT: I meant in Armor Layers, not HS; silly me.

JacenHan:
I'm not exactly sure if you mean HS (hull spaces, which depends entirely on how big the ship is) or armor layers, which I think would be more relevant. This is one of things that will be different for everyone. I prefer to put as much mass as possible into offensive systems, which usually means that my most heavily armored ships have about 8-10 armor layers, while the median is probably closer to 4-6 layers. This will also change drastically with your technology, since armor takes up less space further up the tech tree. At starting technology, 3 or 4 armor layers is already significantly cutting into your mass budget, while at high levels, 15 layers might be small enough for every warship to use. It might also be useful to compare it to weaponry, especially missiles: A strength-4 warhead will pierce through 2 layers of armor, a strength-9 warhead will pierce 3, a strength-16 warhead will pierce 4, and so on. If you want a ship to just be able to take a couple of hits and keep fighting, that could give you a rough minimum based on what you are facing.

Father Tim:
Twenty-eight layers.

My battlewagons tend to have in the 22-28 range.  Any ship expected to be in combat has at least 10 layers.

misanthropope:
are you here to die for your country, or make the other poor dumb bastard die for his country?

xenoscepter:
"Are you here to die for your country, or make the other poor dumb bastard die for his country?"

Yes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

It appears that you have not registered with Aurora 4x. To register, please click here...
There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version