Author Topic: The Aurora Yacht Club  (Read 2086 times)

Offline Drgong (OP)

• Vice Admiral
The Aurora Yacht Club
« on: June 11, 2016, 11:13:20 PM »
I know this might sound silly, but I propose in a variation of what you can use Aurora for, the Aurora yacht Club - and the first proposed race from Earth to Titan.
You have to decide not only on your engine design, but how much non-reliability do you risk? Stripping off that engineering section may very well be the difference, assuming you get there.   

Rules -

You can use all tech up  to 5000RP.

First rule, no shooting at other ships!
Second rule, No Tractor beams

Classes

Class C:  <2000 Tons (Single engine)
Open to any ship under 2000 tons with a single engine

Class B:  <5000 Tons (Single Engine)
Open to any ship under 5000 tons with a single engine

Class M:  <5000 tons (multi-engine)
Open to any ship under 5000 tons (More then one engine allowed)

Class-A:  <10000 Tons
Open to any ship under 10,000 tons (assumed to be multi-engine)

Maxi-Class: <20000 tons
Open to any ship under 20,000 tons

The first race will be Earth to Titan, no refueling.
Each person can submit 1 ship per class to build up the racing fleet.   
Check out or Join my Community Game
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=235.0
Also check out my stories, including Interactive tales.
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=239.0

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
Re: The Aurora Yacht Club
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 12:50:24 AM »
Is reliability going to be that much of an issue? We're just running for a few days.

Offline iceball3

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 02:55:07 AM »
At the turn of the new century, we at Kulex Industries are now rolling out a new luxury line, introducing the Cotta Varien Space Yacht.
This 18,000 ton Maxi-class luxury vessel has been designed with the rising interest of recreational space travel for the civilian sector, to be operated by a certified Earth Federation Captain with the recreational facilities chartered separately, and an expansive operating staff, as well as a separate recreational staff, aimed at providing an opulent and adventurous experience to as many as 250 passengers and up to 10 lucky VIP members, permitted to see the inner workings of how our space vessels our operated within our on-board tours, given by a cheerful and educated guide!
Hauling at a brisk 1,300 kilometers a second, our Yacht prizes making the trip compete with the destination in entertainment and comfort, featuring expansive living spaces and entertainment areas, providing unmatched comfort for both resident and crew, rated at a Euler Morale Half-Life time of over three years, a record breaker for contained housing units of our era. We achieve this with a gamut of recreational facilities, including a VR sports arena, a glass-roof observatory with shutters, allowing it to double as a theatre, and a variety of themed bars and pubs staffed by only our most enthusiastic employees.
And for peace of mind, our vessel also comes equipped with an expansive maintenance suite, supplies to repair damage in the incident of damage from wild accidents or clandestine sources, as well for potential expedient use in goodwill for other vessels as well, as well as thick ferrous-duranite composite armor plating to protect against meteorite collisions, rated to be capable of completely stopping a 15cm military grade nuclear powered railgun shot, at point blank!
Charter today!

Code: [Select]
Cotta Variens class Space Yacht    18 000 tons     218 Crew     704.325 BP      TCS 360  TH 375  EM 0
1388 km/s     Armour 3-61     Shields 0-0     Sensors 8/8/0/0     Damage Control Rating 9     PPV 0
MSP 220    Max Repair 16 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 40 months    Spare Berths 17   
Cryogenic Berths 1000    Passengers 250   

100 EP Commercial Nuclear Pulse Engine (5)    Power 100    Fuel Use 1.09%    Signature 75    Exp 2%
Fuel Capacity 150 000 Litres    Range 137.5 billion km   (1146 days at full power)

Active Search Sensor MR1-R1 (1)     GPS 16     Range 1.3m km    MCR 139k km    Resolution 1
Thermal Sensor TH1-8 (1)     Sensitivity 8     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  8m km
EM Detection Sensor EM1-8 (1)     Sensitivity 8     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  8m km

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes

Vessel instructions:
-Load up on passengers before starting the race.
Rather than flying straight to titan, instead take a detour to the nearest comet to our route to titan, turning active sensors on and chilling on it for an hour before making a straight line for titan.
-Keep eyes (sensors) and ears (communications) open for any distress calls from craft. If a craft is suffering maintenance failures, move to them and offer maintenance supplies. If they are incapable of making the trip without failing, suggest that they abandon ship and rescue them into cryo module. Continue race per normal after that. If there is no such distress, complete race per normal.

The following users thanked this post: Drgong

Offline Drgong (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 11:24:23 AM »
Is reliability going to be that much of an issue? We're just running for a few days.

Well, This is the first race and a test.  I plan to have longer races and so on.   Ships with no repair ability can break down really fast....
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 11:34:15 AM by Drgong »

Offline Herodotus4

• Chief Petty Officer
  • H
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 11:34:17 AM »
I assume no shooting also means no marine boarding teams and assault shuttles?

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 01:03:44 PM »
It'd be nice to have less classes maybe? I'm not sure which one to choose to have opponents.

Offline Drgong (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 01:18:12 PM »
It'd be nice to have less classes maybe? I'm not sure which one to choose to have opponents.

I was thinking everyone could have one in each class if they wanted to.  If you just want to have one, the Maxi-class is were it is at. 

Offline Drgong (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 02:47:57 PM »
I assume no shooting also means no marine boarding teams and assault shuttles?

Yes  ;D

It might be a silly idea, but I was wondering if folks would find it fun to figure out how to make a pure speed demon ship in aurora.

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2016, 02:58:06 PM »
Sheb Naval Shipyard Ltd. is proud to present you the Cheetah-class Yacht. This is no mere pleasure craft, although its furnishing will provide all the modern playboy could wish for.
The Cheetah is the first civilian ship to offer the kind of agility and  speed one normally finds only in military fighter, with anti-inertia fittings that will ensure you don't spill a single drop of your Dom Perignon as you whip by the rings of Saturn.

In addition to its speed, the Cheetah boast a single CIWS system to zap those meteor that might scratch your gold paint.

The following users thanked this post: Drgong