Author Topic: Outer Space Bases  (Read 1377 times)

Offline Xonok (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • X
Outer Space Bases
« on: December 30, 2015, 01:26:41 PM »
Basically they'd be like planets, but in outer space.
I imagine they'd be built in a modular way with there being a special way to start one and after that it could be expanded with installations.
Possible installations:
Habitation Sphere - Provides everything needed to host a population.  (Like orbital habitats)
Warehouse - This would be an actual installation, since in space you don't have the liberty of just putting resources on the ground somewhere.  It would ALSO provide the space for other installations.  Warehouses that have anything in them either can't be removed or whatever they were holding is lost.

Stuff they could do:
Construct installations.
Research stuff.
Host shipyards.
Have populations.
Be moved by tugs, but at a very large cost. 

Stuff they could not do:
Mine, because they wouldn't be at a planet.

Why do I want this? - It would provide a somewhat viable alternative to planets, since you can move it (although slowly).  They wouldn't be better than planets in every case because they can't mine anything on their own - you'd have to use asteroid miners or Automated Mines which both have their own downsides.

Alternatively, I would just like a way for orbital habitats and some installations to work in outer space.  The purpose is the same - to have a borg-cube-ish flying homeworld.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
Re: Outer Space Bases
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 04:47:10 PM »
Alternatively a spacemaster button to spawn a new body would work. Maybe at the site of a waypoint, specify it's diameter, mass etc. An option to disable it's orbit. Then You could spawn a minor body there, colonise it and fill with underground infrastructure.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline MagusXIX

• Lieutenant
Re: Outer Space Bases
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 12:08:38 AM »
I would suggest limiting storage based on cargo bays, like any other ship.  On a planet you have unlimited storage.  A space station should old be able to hold as much stuff (minerals, spare parts, ordinance, etc) as it can fit in its cargo bays.