Author Topic: Colonies Populations Self-Sustainable?  (Read 3275 times)

Offline Borealis4x (OP)

• Commodore
Colonies Populations Self-Sustainable?
« on: June 29, 2016, 10:00:50 PM »
Were I to just make a bunch of colonizers and set them to automatically bring colonists to existing colonies will the civilian infrastructure more or less keep up? I'm having problems now where colonies are loosing political stability, but I feel that is more a matter of not being garrisoned than being overpopulated.

Offline ChildServices

• Hegemon
  • Sub-Lieutenant
Re: Colonies Populations Self-Sustainable?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 11:39:36 PM »
The game usually gives you a reason why they're losing political stability. If it says "the central government isn't providing enough protection" it means you need to either stick some troops on the colony (which doesn't actually fix the issue, just suppresses it) or you need to build a fleet or PDC in the same system as the planet with a high enough PPV rating to satisfy their "requested protection level"
Aurora4x Discord: https://discordapp.com/invite/Q5ryqdW

Cold as steel the darkness waits, its hour will come
A cry of fear from our children, worshipping the Sun
Mother Nature's black revenge, on those who waste her life
War babies in the Garden Of Eden, she'll turn our ashes to ice

Offline Bughunter

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
  • Discord Username: Bughunter
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 02:29:44 AM »
I constantly have messages about loss of stability due to overcrowding in my game - then another set of messages it was suppressed by military. No way around it except shipping huge loads of infrastructure I guess?

Offline Ostia

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • O
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 06:59:06 AM »
I constantly have messages about loss of stability due to overcrowding in my game - then another set of messages it was suppressed by military. No way around it except shipping huge loads of infrastructure I guess?

Either that or Terra-Forming it to Colony Cost 0.

Offline AL

• Captain
  • A
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 02:42:42 AM »
No way around it except shipping huge loads of infrastructure I guess?
Whenever I do that in my games, the civil sector immediately decides to bring in their colonising fleet and drop off another ~2mil surplus colonists - a self perpetuating cycle sadly. I usually just put some garrison battalions on the colony or ignore it altogether.

Offline iceball3

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 06:36:46 AM »
I find it significantly easier for long term growth to instead ship some factories and a load of 1000 duranium to the colony, and have the colonists slowly process the entire batch into infrastructure. Makes it so the colony at least steadily grows without having to pay attention to it for a decade.

Offline Bughunter

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
  • Discord Username: Bughunter
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 08:49:25 AM »
Why does everyone want to live on non-optimal worlds where they are oppressed by military police? Is the grass really greener where the colony cost is higher? I feel there is a deeper philosophical question here somewhere..

I might try your idea iceball, if nothing else to get rid of all the message spam.

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 02:39:08 PM »
Whenever I do that in my games, the civil sector immediately decides to bring in their colonising fleet and drop off another ~2mil surplus colonists - a self perpetuating cycle sadly. I usually just put some garrison battalions on the colony or ignore it altogether.

That is why you never bring anyone before col cost isn't 0.0, just terraform it.

IIRC Civies will never drop colonists first, you will always have to put the first batch yourself.
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2016, 09:19:40 AM »
IIRC Civies will never drop colonists first, you will always have to put the first batch yourself.

IIRC dropping a load of infrastructure on an empty planet will also open it to colonization.

John

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 05:39:09 PM »
If the colony cost is low enough, the civilian production of infrastructure will usually keep up with the migration. That's what always happens with Mars in my games. I drop 1k infra there, let shipping lines take it from there. Some crowding issues every now and then, nothing too bad.

Offline Kytuzian

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • K
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2016, 07:32:22 PM »

You could set the colony to "Stable", that should stop the civilian companies from bringing colonists.

Offline DaMachinator

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2016, 07:33:34 AM »
For me at least, you must have at least 25 million colonists to do this.
The maximum speed of any ship or missile with a given engine technology is the speed of a ship composed only of one engine of that technology with the highest power to weight ratio possible with current technology, and nothing else.

Offline Kytuzian

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • K
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2016, 04:04:51 PM »
For me at least, you must have at least 25 million colonists to do this.

Oh right, whoops. Well if the colony has 25 million people, you can do that, I suppose. It'd be nice if this was an option for smaller colonies too.

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2016, 05:36:25 AM »
Yeah, does anyone know why this 25 million limit is in place? We might ask Steve to remove it, it's just a check.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2016, 07:17:07 AM »
Yeah, does anyone know why this 25 million limit is in place? We might ask Steve to remove it, it's just a check.

IIRC it's to simulate civies having minds of their owns, i.e. to prevent players from micromanaging population levels using civie transport.  It was definitely a conscious decision on Steve's part.

John