C# Aurora > Development Discussions

C# Aurora Changes Discussion

(1/541) > >>

sloanjh:
Here's a place to discuss Steve's changes (mirroring Mechanics).

And I've got one:  Steve:  I noticed that you said that hull sizes are no longer rounded to the nearest integer.  Unless you're using an underlying integral type (e.g. a specially hull-size class that is implemented in private data as an integer times a fraction like 0.001), you probably want to do some level of rounding for numbers that are very close to an integer, e.g if( fabs(size - roundedSize) < 0.001) size = roundedSize.  Otherwise I suspect that you'll run into lot of bugs from players when they try to send a 5000 ton ship through a wormhole with a 5000 ton jump ship and it doesn't work because the jump ship size is actually 4999.999999999 and/or the ship size is 5000.00000000001 due to floating point error.

Let me know if you want an example of the hull-size class I mentioned - I suspect I've only got a 50% chance of having explained it well enough to understand what I'm talking about.

John

Steve Walmsley:
Yes, I was thinking about the jump drive issue. In VB6 I was rounding up to the nearest HS for that reason. I like the non-rounding from a variety POV as real world ships are rarely round numbers.

Perhaps the solution is to allow ships to jump other ships that are less than 50 tons larger, as long as the jump drive is large enough. For example, a DD of 5980 tons with a 6000 ton jump drive could still jump ships of up to 6000 tons. The drawback is it might be hard to explain to new players why the DD of 5980 can handle it, but not a DD of 5940 tons.

I could include a 'jump size' rating in the ship design display, which would be the size of the ship for jump purposes (HS rounded up to nearest 50 tons or jump drive capacity, whichever is smaller). That would actually make it easier for new players as we would avoid the small ship, large drive issue.

Jaque_Thay:
Possibly an easier way to explain (while still being codeable) would be that jump drives can propel things up to 1.25x the host vessel's size (up to a maximum of the jump drive's rating). That has two benefits, firstly, you can say that the jump 'bubble' created by the ship can encompass pointy out bits and compensate for hull size mismatches (avoiding the 9999.9999 ton vessel being unable to jump a 10k ton vessel or the handwavium required above to say why a 9980 ton vessel can move a 10k vessel but your 9940 ton example can't).

Secondly, you can make ever so slightly smaller ships and still make use of jump drives you've already designed (eg anything between than 8k-10k tons could make use of a 10k jump drive). This increases flexibility in ship design.

Retropunch:

--- Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=8497. msg88749#msg88749 date=1459609731 ---I could include a 'jump size' rating in the ship design display, which would be the size of the ship for jump purposes (HS rounded up to nearest 50 tons or jump drive capacity, whichever is smaller).  That would actually make it easier for new players as we would avoid the small ship, large drive issue.

--- End quote ---

This sounds like a good option.  Even for long term players, quickly being able to see what the jump rating is would make life easier.

QuakeIV:
I still think that group jumps should look exclusively at the rating of the jump drive.  It was mildly enraging to realize that my 20kton jump ship for my 40kton warships had to have a bunch of fuel or something strapped on in order for it to do its job.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

It appears that you have not registered with Aurora 4x. To register, please click here...
There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version