Author Topic: Star Citizen  (Read 8215 times)

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
Re: Star Citizen
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2014, 09:08:02 AM »
A gameport to USB adapter costs between 15-20 bucks but you could make one for maybe 6 bucks if you're handy with a soldering iron/could be bothered....
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline chrislocke2000

• Captain
  • c
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2014, 03:30:44 AM »
Cripes, I just had a look at that Thrustmaster joystick - it's a beast! Having said that I think I'm going to have to follow, been trying to play just with keyboard and mouse and have struggled to say the least.

Ending up spending a small fortune on the kickstarter so intend to make the most of the game. (Elite was pretty much my intorduction to gaming on the BBC B and have fond memories of playing this with for such long sessions we ended up overheating the computer).

Offline Hawkeye (OP)

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2014, 04:20:22 AM »
A gameport to USB adapter costs between 15-20 bucks but you could make one for maybe 6 bucks if you're handy with a soldering iron/could be bothered....

Yeah, that´s what I implied with the "could probably get around that" part. A bigger problem was the programming software, which was, IIRC, a DOS program, and simply refused to work in the more recent windows versions - and to be honest, the Warthog is a huge step up from the FCS, no matter how good it was.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2014, 04:56:27 PM »
Finally got the Elite:Dangerous beta,
First Impression:         HOLY COW!
Second Impression:     SWEET MOTHER!
Third Impression:        WOW!

The game is playable, ships quite flyable with mouse & keyboard,  but it's not FUN with mouse and keyboard,  I'm looking at a Sytek X-55 HOTAS Rhino, to be different from all you guys buying Warthogs!.
Awesome touch that they've done a Steve and scoured star catalogues to add 150,000 real stars to the game,  and even gone the extra mile and added all the known exo-planets.
The feeling of scale is truly stupendous.

It's exceeded my expectations (for the little I've seen so far) and my expectations were really high.  I like the one server for all players (just instancing busy zones to make it work, and since you can move between instances, and it biases automatically to placing you in instances with people you've previously interacted with)  though theres a reasonable chance that very few places will get overcrowded since theres 400,000 systems in the game (though my understanding is that's limited during Beta to force more player interaction)
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2014, 04:48:11 AM »

It's exceeded my expectations (for the little I've seen so far) and my expectations were really high.  I like the one server for all players (just instancing busy zones to make it work, and since you can move between instances, and it biases automatically to placing you in instances with people you've previously interacted with)  though theres a reasonable chance that very few places will get overcrowded since theres 400,000 systems in the game (though my understanding is that's limited during Beta to force more player interaction)

It's 400,000,000,000 systems :)

Currently 50 systems in Beta-1 but that will increase to 500 in Beta-2 from September 30th. I haven't played for a while but I'll be back in the cockpit for Beta-2

Offline Sharp

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • S
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2014, 04:39:31 PM »
Braben is a amazing. Even to this day I can't help but be awestruck at Elite 2 containing a galaxy 1:1 sized (pretty big Galaxy...), Newtonian physics, even the music it had as well, all that stuff in one floppy disk...

Just amazing really.

It makes me sad that Elite Dangerous won't really have much of the same stuff as Elite 2, mainly because you can't have a fast-forward time button in a multiplayer game and ships travelling at super fast speeds might make the game very difficult to play.

Wish I could afford the beta but glad I kick-started it and looking forward to the release.

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2014, 04:42:06 PM »
oops,  well more than I'll ever see!

changed my joystick order to an X-52 since, however there don't seem to be any in the country,  I suspect related to it being the suggested joystick, and the ones the dev team are using,  hopefully I should have it next week, in time for Beta 2.  I've discovered that I for one can't fight worth a damn with mouse/keyboard, so I'm sticking to safe route trading until I get myself joysticked.

I had very high expectations for this game, and so far they've all been surpassed, I really love the fact that all the stars you can see in the starfield outside your cockpit are the actual stars in the game that you can go to (well not in beta as theyre restricting players to a small sphere to concentrate interaction an loads) I spent about 10 minutes last night just tooling around the front of a station reading the billboards

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2014, 04:46:15 PM »
Braben is a amazing. Even to this day I can't help but be awestruck at Elite 2 containing a galaxy 1:1 sized (pretty big Galaxy...), Newtonian physics, even the music it had as well, all that stuff in one floppy disk...

Just amazing really.

It makes me sad that Elite Dangerous won't really have much of the same stuff as Elite 2, mainly because you can't have a fast-forward time button in a multiplayer game and ships travelling at super fast speeds might make the game very difficult to play.

Wish I could afford the beta but glad I kick-started it and looking forward to the release.

They work around that with "supercruise" which is basically using your Hyperspace drive in-system, allowing you to travel many times c.  The game effect is pretty much the same as the time dilation in Frontier, and First Encounter but with pretty special effects,  the systems are still gigantic, and even supercruising around say a quaternary system can take quite awhile!