Author Topic: Missiles and waypoints  (Read 2205 times)

Offline SteelChicken (OP)

• Lt. Commander
Missiles and waypoints
« on: September 10, 2012, 05:12:40 PM »
Already did some searching on missile/waypoint mechanics, and trying to get missiles queued up before hitting a single slow moving target.     I fire all the missiles at a waypoint.  .  .  .  and then once they are all there, I assign the fire control to the actual target.  .  .  .  . 
and nothing happens.    They just sit there.    I tried adding a new waypoint, nothing.     I delete the existing waypoint and again, they just sit there.   

What am I doing wrong?

Offline Shooer

• Petty Officer
  • S
Re: Missiles and waypoints
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 05:29:01 PM »
Delete the waypoint.   As long as the missiles have their own sensors they will target any hostile with in range.

There is no way to change missile target manually as far as I know.

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 05:34:28 PM »
Already did some searching on missile/waypoint mechanics, and trying to get missiles queued up before hitting a single slow moving target.     I fire all the missiles at a waypoint.  .  .  .  and then once they are all there, I assign the fire control to the actual target.  .  .  .  . 
and nothing happens.    They just sit there.    I tried adding a new waypoint, nothing.     I delete the existing waypoint and again, they just sit there.   

What am I doing wrong?
This worked many versions ago. No it does not. Fire the missiles directly at the target or use self guided missiles which will attack any ship coming within their detection range after reaching the WP

Offline Zook

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 05:34:52 PM »
It doesn't work that way. I think firing missiles at waypoints is useful for sensor drones or mines, not combat. Once you've fired a missile, it travels towards the target the FC had lit up at the moment of firing, but setting a new target for the FC isn't affecting the missile. AFAIK, the only way a missile can find a new target is when it's equipped with active sensors.

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 05:46:03 PM »
So I have to estimate the location of the waypoint to be within range of the missiles sensors on the target? And basically wait for the target to walk through the detection range before the missiles run out of fuel?

*grumble*

Luckily, I've learned to make backups of the database before trying anything new.

Offline telegraph

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • t
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 05:51:23 PM »
So I have to estimate the location of the waypoint to be within range of the missiles sensors on the target? And basically wait for the target to walk through the detection range before the missiles run out of fuel?

I think firing at the enemy vessel with small delays ("Fire by Rank")  makes more sense - if n-th salvo destroys the target - other(n+1, n+2...) missiles will find someone new to harass.

On the other hand - you are the commander in chief of your fleet, so you can use enemy course prediction instead :).

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 06:21:11 PM »
Quote from: telegraph link=topic=5320. msg54505#msg54505 date=1347317483
I think firing at the enemy vessel with small delays ("Fire by Rank")  makes more sense - if n-th salvo destroys the target - other(n+1, n+2. . . ) missiles will find someone new to harass. 

On the other hand - you are the commander in chief of your fleet, so you can use enemy course prediction instead :).

Well, when you are fighting certain individual ships with absurd shield regeneration rates, you need the largest alpha strike you can muster.

Offline telegraph

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • t
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 04:26:29 AM »
meson-armed fighters? A minefield at the jump point? synchronized fire?

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 08:17:00 AM »
If you want to get really cheeky, create multistage missiles, where the second salvo catches up to the first, which then unloads the submunitions to pace the second one, only to be reached in time for target by a faster third.
Given that targets with high shield regeneration, but very slow speed are rare, I can only think of one ship that description fits to.
In this case, I suggest getting higher tech.
Long ranged beam weapons might be a solution, as are smaller sized launchers.
And movement will probably be pretty predictable.
The missile storm tactic did exist in the past, read Steve's TN Campaign to see an example of that.
Which was more or less also the reason it got dropped.

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 08:43:40 AM »
Quote from: UnLimiTeD link=topic=5320. msg54513#msg54513 date=1347369420
In this case, I suggest getting higher tech.
Running away and fighting another day is not how the Centauri Republic claimed the stars!

Long ranged beam weapons might be a solution, as are smaller sized launchers.
And movement will probably be pretty predictable.
Once I understood a little more about how it worked I was able to do what I want.   Just had to do some quick maths on the fuel/flight time, distance etc.    Just deleted the waypoint when the target was in range.   Worked like a champ.

The missile storm tactic did exist in the past, read Steve's TN Campaign to see an example of that.
Which was more or less also the reason it got dropped.
His campaigns are epic (NATO vs Soviets = bookworthy), and where I learned a great deal about how the game was played.