Author Topic: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?  (Read 267497 times)

Offline TCD

• Lt. Commander
  • T
Re: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?
« Reply #1545 on: October 26, 2016, 09:06:39 AM »
Will civilian shipping lines ignore a colony based on physical distance (as opposed to jump gate distance), or do you risk having your civilian freighters on the 20yr run?

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #1546 on: October 26, 2016, 09:30:39 AM »
Will civilian shipping lines ignore a colony based on physical distance (as opposed to jump gate distance), or do you risk having your civilian freighters on the 20yr run?
They used to ignore colonies/destinations 4 jumps away from current location. Currently I think they have no limitations on distance in their path finding. However, civilian shipping will ignore any colony that you have not placed anything on (even if you set a contract).
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline TCD

• Lt. Commander
  • T
« Reply #1547 on: October 26, 2016, 11:13:40 AM »
They used to ignore colonies/destinations 4 jumps away from current location. Currently I think they have no limitations on distance in their path finding. However, civilian shipping will ignore any colony that you have not placed anything on (even if you set a contract).
So in the quoted case of using a "generation ship" to found a self reliant colony they might start trying to trade with it?

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #1548 on: October 26, 2016, 11:21:33 AM »
So in the quoted case of using a "generation ship" to found a self reliant colony they might start trying to trade with it?
Probably, eventually.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline baconholic

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • b
« Reply #1549 on: October 26, 2016, 07:12:24 PM »

You can use the ban body function in System View. That'll stop all civilian traffic going to that place.

Personally, I've lately deleted all my civilian ships and shipping lines since they use up more than 90% of the cpu time late game. You can do the same if you are worried about civies ruining your game.

Offline Viridia

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #1550 on: November 03, 2016, 05:28:13 PM »
Just restarted one of my old games, since I've been wanting to redo it for a while now and hopefully the write-up will be more interesting.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #1551 on: November 07, 2016, 04:15:16 PM »
Getting bored waiting for 7.2/8.0/C#. Started a new game with the idea of trying "small" ships (smaller than I usually do, like 6k frigates, 12-15k destroyers, 40k cruisers, etc). Random tech gives me hardly anything in lasers, mesons, or rails, however it did give me gauss V4 and R4 as well as Particle beam 9 240k range. I was thinking of doing a Particle fleet for the next version and I think Aurora is saying "Do it, just Do IT". May post progress, may not, depends on if it gets interesting (it should with 4 nprs at start with a 25/50 spawn chance).

Offline Viridia

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #1552 on: November 08, 2016, 11:54:22 AM »
Is it normal for a geology team to take three years to resurvey a colonised world? I mean I don't want to seem ungrateful for another forty-one-thousand plus tons of Gallicite on Mars, but three years?

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #1553 on: November 08, 2016, 12:55:38 PM »
Is it normal for a geology team to take three years to resurvey a colonised world? I mean I don't want to seem ungrateful for another forty-one-thousand plus tons of Gallicite on Mars, but three years?
It's very random. Sometimes it takes longer, others shorter. Once it took my 300 rated team over a decade to ground survey Luna, and even then they didn't find much.

Offline Viridia

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #1554 on: November 08, 2016, 03:04:20 PM »
And suddenly, Spoilers. Starting to wish I'd invested in much larger active sensors now. Ah well, here's hoping my squadron of gunboats can make it to the JP from Sol into Lacaille 9352 in time to save the Distant Star expedition unit.

EDIT; They did. Turns out they needed rescuing. Mass production of more gunboats and commando Hunters has commenced with some changes made to accommodate the small targets, and I've decided to rush into production a brand new development of the orbit-to-ground missiles those Hunters use.

EDIT, THE SEQUEL; the Geology team on Venus managed to find a brand-spanking new deposit of over a million and a half tons of Corbomite, just under six million more tons of Corundium, and just under twenty-three point eight million more tons of Duranium. Time to get the shovels out.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 05:44:25 PM by Viridia »

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
« Reply #1555 on: November 13, 2016, 07:27:50 AM »
CNS New Horizons, Korolev class GSV, heading from Delta Pavonis to Olympus system for refuel, encouters unidentified ships flying out of something that is suspected to be a wormhole.
Thankfully cpt Fuller manages to haul ass and flee to Delta Pavonis before its discovered ( my habit of placing strong passive sensors on exploration ships finally pays for itself ) ...
But now he is stranded there with 15 % fuel and completely defenseless ship.

I have no offensive fleet, my whole military consists of two missile PDC's armed with Thermal missiles and 10 meson armed Point defence bases ...
I dont think they will be coming home anytime soon.

P.s. - i've discovered Galatic Map labels ... after almost 4 years playing Aurora... Yeah, im not dense at all, at frakking all..
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 07:29:47 AM by Lossmar »
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1556 on: November 13, 2016, 11:25:41 PM »
There Be Xenos Here

Love it!

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
« Reply #1557 on: November 14, 2016, 01:23:42 PM »
There Be Xenos Here

Love it!

Thank you :D

I got flattened hard ... Motherfrakkers came at me with ships that dealt 38x Str 65 laser damage every 10 seconds, cut off 2/3 of my range because ECM's and had 600m+ missile range with 55 missiles per salvo :P I've managed to destroy 3-4 ships but once Kali's entered laser range it was all over :>

I had a brief hope spot when they stopped after destroying every PDC ( see attachment ) and move away but they just continued glassing my planet from different place :/

On i go to new game :>
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."

Offline TCD

• Lt. Commander
  • T
« Reply #1558 on: November 14, 2016, 04:00:04 PM »
Thank you :D

I got flattened hard ... Motherfrakkers came at me with ships that dealt 38x Str 65 laser damage every 10 seconds, cut off 2/3 of my range because ECM's and had 600m+ missile range with 55 missiles per salvo :P I've managed to destroy 3-4 ships but once Kali's entered laser range it was all over :>

I had a brief hope spot when they stopped after destroying every PDC ( see attachment ) and move away but they just continued glassing my planet from different place :/

On i go to new game :>

Ow. And that is why I play with invaders off (at least for a long time). I don't see the fun in rolling a dice every turn with a 1 meaning "you lose the game". Especially with the amount of time it takes to set up a new game.

Offline AL

• Captain
  • A
« Reply #1559 on: November 14, 2016, 04:06:07 PM »
If you can get under their guns (either by depleting their magazines or waiting at a jump point), a swarm of microwave fighters easily disables invader ships, allowing your main fleet to clean up with beams at their leisure. In my current carrier/fighter game, Sol has been depleted of Gallacite, and the nearest system which has any decent reserves of it has not one, but two wormholes sitting there... its going to be a tense few years for the poor souls stationed in that system.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 07:19:56 AM by sloanjh »