Author Topic: Where in the world is Walmsley?  (Read 1546 times)

Offline Jarhead0331 (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • J
Where in the world is Walmsley?
« on: May 21, 2020, 08:49:20 PM »
Anybody heard from Steve. I’m worried.

Offline SpaceMarine

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
Re: Where in the world is Walmsley?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 08:50:57 PM »
hes fine, he hasnt been available over the weekend for unknown reasons ( he has confirmed this to me and the other mods) hes been abscent for like 3 days its not a big deal, hes now getting back into it from what i know

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage

Offline Jarhead0331 (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • J
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 08:55:17 PM »
I didn’t say it was a “big deal”. Just asking since I haven't seen him in the forums at all, which is unusual. Just checking in to make sure he’s ok.

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 11:04:56 PM »
I didn’t say it was a “big deal”. Just asking since I haven't seen him in the forums at all, which is unusual. Just checking in to make sure he’s ok.
It really shows how much effort Steve and Erik put into this place that if they don't post for a day or two then people start to worry.  That isn't a mere hobby.  It is a lifestyle.

Offline Gerbil

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • G
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 12:31:48 AM »
I think it's nice to ask after somebody's absence, especially with the virus making the rounds.  It's being considerate.  :)

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 04:14:15 AM »
Comon.. this is not the mans JOB... this is a hobby... he has been absent from the forum for months on ends before so a few days that is like nothing... ;)

I'm more afraid he will get burned out than anything else as people put too much faith in his energy to keep things going 24/7 month in and month out, that is simply not realistic.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 05:03:23 AM by Jorgen_CAB »

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage, smoelf, Thrake

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 04:23:24 AM »

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 05:09:37 PM »
I'm fine, although I have been taking it easy for a few days :)

I have a condition called pernicious anaemia, which can't be cured but fortunately can be treated. It has a variety of unpleasant symptoms due to my body's inability to absorb vitamin B12 and therefore a very limited ability to produce red blood cells. As a result, I have an B12 injection every 3-4 weeks (and will do forever).

About 3 weeks ago I was very ill, very quickly with the classic coronavirus symptoms, but the fever broke within 24 hours and the other major symptoms eased off within 48 (you may have noticed a gap in posting at the time :) ). I was tested shortly thereafter and the test was negative, but I still had to isolate for 14 days. I was told that up to 30% of negative tests can be false negatives. The illness happened two days after my injection, which is the point at which my B12 is highest and therefore my body was in the best shape to fight infection.

I always suffer fatigue and other symptoms in the latter part of the injection cycle, but whatever the infection was it seems to have made that a lot worse this month. Therefore, my enthusiasm for programming in the last week or so was limited. I have just had my latest injection this morning, so I hope to be back to normal after the weekend.

Offline Jarhead0331 (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • J
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 05:12:57 PM »
I'm fine, although I have been taking it easy for a few days :)

I have a condition called pernicious anaemia, which can't be cured but fortunately can be treated. It has a variety of unpleasant symptoms due to my body's inability to absorb vitamin B12 and therefore a very limited ability to produce red blood cells. As a result, I have an B12 injection every 3-4 weeks (and will do forever).

About 3 weeks ago I was very ill, very quickly with the classic coronavirus symptoms, but the fever broke within 24 hours and the other major symptoms eased off within 48 (you may have noticed a gap in posting at the time :) ). I was tested shortly thereafter and the test was negative, but I still had to isolate for 14 days. I was told that up to 30% of negative tests can be false negatives. The illness happened two days after my injection, which is the point at which my B12 is highest and therefore my body was in the best shape to fight infection.

I always suffer fatigue and other symptoms in the latter part of the injection cycle, but whatever the infection was it seems to have made that a lot worse this month. Therefore, my enthusiasm for programming in the last week or so was limited. I have just had my latest injection this morning, so I hope to be back to normal after the weekend.

Thank you for checking in. I heard you're going camping this weekend. Enjoy it!

I'm recovering from COVID myself. It was a really tough 3-4 weeks. My wife is an anesthesiologist and has been fighting this on the front line since the beginning. She is the most likely source of exposure, but she has been asymptomatic. Anyway, I'm glad you're feeling better.

S/F