Author Topic: Help with AAR  (Read 1031 times)

Offline Hungaricus (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • H
Help with AAR
« on: June 01, 2020, 06:35:12 AM »
Hello there!

I would like to make an AAR for my next campaing. After my current Space Habsburg Empire I decided to start a new one with 1.11.
I never tried this before though. Can you share some tipps and tricks with me? Some good method to write one perhaps?

I would try to RP a united communist Earth only this one player faction I am not confident enough in the mechanics to play multiple player faction campaign yet.

To simulate the drawbacks of such systems I will set the research to 70% and the wealth creation to 60 or 70%. Also I will up the possible population density a bit.

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
Re: Help with AAR
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 01:08:18 PM »
There are two main types of AAR -- well, and a third type, I guess, which is a combination of the first two.

One type is 'novel-like' with characters experiencing the events in question, and telling us their thoughts and feelings about it.  For example:
'Commander Nelson reclined in her acceleration couch, as the countdown clicked through the final seconds.  With a roar the jets of atomized Sorium fuel snapped on and the TFNS Swiftsure left Earth orbit for humanity's first journey to another star.'

The other type is 'encyclopedia-like' where the "facts" of the events are recounted.  For example:
'The empire's first jump-capable ship, TFNS Swiftsure under C.O. Commander Nelson, is sent to probe the closest wormhole.'

- - - - -

I highly recommend the second version.  It requires less skill to write an interesting recap of events than it does to write good fiction.

My other advice is to not drown the reader in trivia.  While I want to know what ships were launched or what new technologies were discovered this year, I don't need a day-by-day breakdown, or a long list of calendar dates & launchings & discoveries.  It's hard to pin down the right amount of detail, but personally I don't want to read long tables of info.  It's fine to say ". . .and fifteen other asteroids with a half-dozen automines each."

- - - - -

Oh, and my number one piece of advice is don't use the same names as everyone else.  I literally can't count the number of Battles of Sigma Draconis or Wolf something-something-something aliens or Gliese number-number-number colonies I've read about.  I can't count them, because I can't keep them straight.  If you must set your game on Earth, try to rename the other solar colonies, if not the bodies themselves.  Your AAR will be much more memorable if it features "Tycho City" instead of "Luna" or "Uj Debreczen" instead of "Mars."

The following users thanked this post: DIT_grue, skoormit