Author Topic: maximum rank for ships  (Read 1832 times)

Offline joeclark77 (OP)

• Commander
  • j
maximum rank for ships
« on: July 17, 2013, 12:05:30 PM »
I know we can specify the minimum rank for a ship class.  I would also request that we be allowed to set a maximum rank.  I can't tell you how many times I've lost an admiral or something when a fighter was blown up!

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: maximum rank for ships
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 03:16:15 PM »
I know we can specify the minimum rank for a ship class.  I would also request that we be allowed to set a maximum rank.  I can't tell you how many times I've lost an admiral or something when a fighter was blown up!

The maximum rank is two levels above the minimum. So if you set R1 for a fighter, no one will be assigned to a fighter unless they are R3 or below.

Offline joeclark77 (OP)

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 03:28:01 PM »
Oh, good to know.  I take it they can be promoted after assignment and stay on until the next reshuffling of assignments, right?

Offline Whitecold

• Commander
  • W
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 04:02:51 AM »
It would be nice to be able to determine the maximum rank oneself, sometimes two ranks are too much, especially as the game seems to try to assign all senior officers first before using the lower ranks, so R3's are assigned to Fighters while there are still R1's without a job.

Offline Aloriel

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 01:27:15 PM »
Word of advice...

Set fighters to R8 and 0 priority. You don't want people commanding them. There's a glitch that causes fighter pilots to gain MASSIVE amounts of Fighter Combat Bonus, which leads to promotion scores being completely askew (e.g. 100,000 promotion score at Commander rank).

I presently have a Rear Admiral who's only in his 30s, and has been there since he was 25. He piloted a fighter for just a couple years. He had no talent what so ever, save for fighter combat, for some time. He's finally getting somewhere.

Now, technically, if you really need someone to be promoted fast, you could assign them to a fighter. :)
Sarah
Game Developer in Unity and UE4 and 5