Author Topic: apes  (Read 2554 times)

Offline joeclark77 (OP)

• Commander
  • j
apes
« on: December 07, 2013, 09:20:16 PM »
Here's a proposal: let there be Ape populations on Earth or on naturally occurring habitable worlds. These apes can be genetically and cybernetically enhanced to serve as laborers or warriors, at great advantage, but if you let your guard down they go on rampages and/or enslave your human population on a particular world. The idea is that there would be a powerful temptation to use them for short-term gains, but in the long run can get out of control.

I have a related idea about cyborg ape cavalry with machine guns, but that would require implementing horses and stuff too, so you could save it for a later release...

Offline Hydrofoil

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • H
Re: apes
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 06:50:29 AM »
Going along with this and expanding it I think finding Conventional level species spread out across the galaxy would be a great idea.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 07:56:41 AM »
Going along with this and expanding it I think finding Conventional level species spread out across the galaxy would be a great idea.

You can already find pre-industrial populations. Just not conventional ones (at least for the moment).

Offline Hydrofoil

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • H
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 04:19:59 PM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=6619. msg68144#msg68144 date=1388498201
You can already find pre-industrial populations.  Just not conventional ones (at least for the moment).

Oooh well obviously I havnt gotten that far yet ha ha good to know though thanks.

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 03:58:19 AM »
How do the pre industrial species function? Are they simply NPR's who are starting from conventional tech instead of trans newtonian or something else?

Offline GeneJack

• Petty Officer
  • I am operating within established parameters.
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 10:19:54 AM »
How do the pre industrial species function? Are they simply NPR's who are starting from conventional tech instead of trans newtonian or something else?

The ones I have encountered never have anything but population and ?ground troops? (can't remember) (no facilities or anything), and never develop anything in the time it takes me to crush them for the glory of the empire peacefully integrate them into civilization.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 03:18:59 PM »
Pre-industrial civs won't progress beyond that point.

Offline Triato

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 12:50:39 PM »
Instead of apes they could be called pre sentient species (there won´t be apes in all worlds), upgrading them would take biological research and they could have their own image pool.

Offline Sematary

• Commodore
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 12:57:48 PM »
Why? I don't really get the point of this entire idea. What would "letting your guard down" even look like in Aurora?

Offline Gyrfalcon

• Bug Moderators
  • Commander
  • G
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 04:37:22 PM »
letting your guard down... is that where I remove the mass driver from that world and let it 'catch' a few packets as a form of population control?

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 06:20:37 AM »
... to serve as laborers or warriors, at great advantage, but if you let your guard down they go on rampages and/or enslave your human population on a particular world. The idea is that there would be a powerful temptation to use them for short-term gains, but in the long run can get out of control.
This would be nice for the new conscripted labourers coming in 6.4
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline ollobrains

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 03:06:19 AM »
so its basically like we uses horses for riding, bulls for puling things in some parts. Slaves here on earth even up to this day.  Oddball idea.

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 06:45:18 PM »
I have a related idea about cyborg ape cavalry with machine guns, but that would require implementing horses and stuff too, so you could save it for a later release...
this is possibly my favorite sentence on this whole forum