Author Topic: Managing Ground Support Fighters  (Read 1330 times)

Offline Desmond Tiny (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • D
Managing Ground Support Fighters
« on: October 24, 2020, 01:06:28 AM »
In my game, vanilla 1. 12, I'm having a bit of trouble with ground support fighters.  I cannot seem to group them, and I have to manually assign each and every fighter to a FFD.  However, since I cannot drag and scroll the Order of Battle screen at the same time, I can only assign ~30 of my 80 fighters at max.  Further, once I've assigned them to support a FFD, I cannot seem to clear this support, even after moving the fighters away from the planet. 

Is it possible to group, or condense, fighters into squadrons? And then assign these squadrons to FFD's? As it currently stands, they are unusable to any real degree.

Thanks!

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
Re: Managing Ground Support Fighters
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 11:02:31 AM »
I have this problem too. I wish that fighters providing support were grouped by the fleet that they belonged to so I could collapse the lists as needed.

Edit: Although micro intensive there is a workaround - split your CAS into smaller squadrons and tell them to provide ground support one by one (use 5 sec increments). In the ground OOB, ground support fighters are sorted alphabetically so "fighter 002" will appear under "fighter 001". This means that if you set up the last squadron first you can add the next squadron and keep doing this until all your 60 or so fighters are assigned. In my case I was able so successfully assign all 42 of my CAS fighters during a precursor base assault.

Ultimately though I think that the dragging functionality should continue working while scrolling through the list, and in the case of potentially 100s of fighters there needs to probably be some sort of command that automatically distributes fighters amongst FFDs.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 06:29:00 PM by Droll »

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Managing Ground Support Fighters
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 02:48:52 PM »
Regarding clearing support I remember I have reported a bug for ground forces support and Steve did fix also adding a button clear support in the ground forces oob screen.

Did you try that?

Otherwise it may be related to the original issue and a fix plus a new clear FFD button may be required.