Author Topic: Using independent Support Formations.  (Read 1774 times)

Offline kks (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
Using independent Support Formations.
« on: April 29, 2020, 04:57:48 PM »
Hello,

in my last game I designed some ground forces using the following scheme:

HQ Formation
 -> Infantry Formation
 -> Artillery Formation

If I understood the rules correctly both the HQ and the Artillery Formation should be able to support the Infantry in combat (with bombardment weapons). For the HQ it works flawlessly.
Here is a screenshot of the UI for setting support relationships between superior and subordinate formations. You drag the superior formation on to the subordinate formation. If the Support checkbox is checked, the supporting formation is shown in blue-grey with the name of the supported formation. Any supported formation in shown in orange. Support can only be provided when the supporting formation is a superior formation in the hierarchy of the supported formation, or is directly subordinate to a superior formation in the hierarchy of the supported formation and does not itself have any subordinate formations (an independent artillery formation for example). Supporting formations must be on the same system body as the supported formation. In combat, the support relationship will only function if the supporting unit has suitable bombardment units and is in a support or rear echelon position and the supported unit is in a front line position.

Now, if I wanted the Artillery to support the Infantry and drag it to the Infantry, the game always assigned the Artillery to the Infantry, giving the following hierachy:

HQ Formation
 -> Infantry Formation
      -> Artillery Formation

When I had several Artillery Formations in the HQ Formation they could support each other. Also it did work the other way around: if I drag the Infantry to the Artillery it gives the following:

HQ Formation
 -> Infantry Formation (Supporting Artillery Formation)
 -> Artillery Formation

However, I obviously want it the other way around.

The Infantry Formation was bigger than the artillery and had a bigger or equal HQ Capacity.

Has anybody of you got an independent support formation which worked in the way described in the rules? What do I overlook?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 05:10:57 PM by kks »

The following users thanked this post: JacenHan

Offline Ektor

• Lieutenant
  • E
Re: Using independent Support Formations.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 05:35:42 PM »
HQ sizes need to be the same or roughly the same if you want to get a formation to support another formation on the same level.

Offline Conscript Gary

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 01:03:18 PM »
I ran into this exact issue. Checkboxes to force support/subordinate assignment might not be a bad addition, since the smart drag and drop's assumptions seem to be at odds with our intent and what should be possible with the mechanics.

The following users thanked this post: kks, JacenHan, DIT_grue, Ektor

Offline L0ckAndL0ad

• Lieutenant
  • L
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 01:48:27 PM »
Just stumbled upon this problem myself in 1.12. I initially intended to use several artillery battalions per division to support its infantry regiments, but cannot assign them :( The only thing I can do is to assign Division HQ to support one of the regiments. And so will have to modify the units to move artillery to the division HQ.
Off-Topic: show

Dragging any of the artillery battalions onto the infantry regiment, regardless if they are attached to the division HQ directly or to their own HQ, does absolutely nothing except for putting artillery under infantry regimental command.

*sigh*
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 01:50:33 PM by L0ckAndL0ad »

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 02:07:02 PM »
I agree that the way it works right now is quite limiting.

Our allegedly "smart" assignment works on relative HQ sizes - if you drag a smaller support artillery formation to support a formation with larger HQ rating than itself the game will erroneously assume that you want to make the artillery subordinate to the target formation. The game will also not allow artillery formations under a different parent formation to that of their target provide support.

The way I have gotten this to work is to make sure that the artillery formations have slightly larger or equal HQ rating to that of their intended supports and to design my OOB such that support artillery units fall under the same parent formation as their intended supports. Remember its not the actual size of the formation but its HQ rating that is considered when the game is being "smart" on your behalf.

The following users thanked this post: L0ckAndL0ad