Author Topic: Celtic Campaign Comments  (Read 6272 times)

Offline welchbloke (OP)

• Vice Admiral
Celtic Campaign Comments
« on: July 05, 2010, 12:41:32 PM »
Placeholder for comments on the Celtic Campaign.
Welchbloke

Offline procyon

• Captain
  • p
Re: Celtic Campaign Comments
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 01:37:30 AM »
Liking what I've seen so far.

I've never played Aurora yet (to many other irons in the fire), but from the other stories it looks like the Celts have some FAST ships.
And with the 'slow' missiles scooting around at .27c, I'd hate to be on the receiving end of a launch.

Do to the fact that a chunk of my family just came over from Wales about 2 generations back, I really enjoy the naming. (Although my uncle has had to help me with the Gaelic on more than one occasion.) And its high time we get to take over the world.  Lord knows the Romans seem to have had their share of world conquest in the TN ages.

Keep up the good work, I look forward to more.
... and I will show you fear in a handful of dust ...

Offline welchbloke (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 03:43:13 AM »
Quote from: "procyon"
Liking what I've seen so far.

I've never played Aurora yet (to many other irons in the fire), but from the other stories it looks like the Celts have some FAST ships.
And with the 'slow' missiles scooting around at .27c, I'd hate to be on the receiving end of a launch.

Do to the fact that a chunk of my family just came over from Wales about 2 generations back, I really enjoy the naming. (Although my uncle has had to help me with the Gaelic on more than one occasion.) And its high time we get to take over the world.  Lord knows the Romans seem to have had their share of world conquest in the TN ages.

Keep up the good work, I look forward to more.
Thanks for the kind words.  The camapign is about 7 years ahead of were the fiction is and I've got plenty of things to write about.  Real Life keeps getting in the way though  :(
The Celts ships are pretty fast; only on threat has speed approaching theirs.  However, nearly all the RP went into engine tech (including hyper tech) so they have myopic sensors etc.
Welchbloke

Offline Spartanius

• Leading Rate
  • S
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 03:12:44 PM »
Who were the assassins in the prologue? Can't just leave us hanging there! Were they Celts that had stumbled upon some extremely advanced tech or did Aliens come to the planet purposefully empowering the Celts?

Offline welchbloke (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 03:23:57 PM »
Quote from: "Spartanius"
Who were the assassins in the prologue? Can't just leave us hanging there! Were they Celts that had stumbled upon some extremely advanced tech or did Aliens come to the planet purposefully empowering the Celts?
Thanks for the interest.

They aren't aliens   :twisted:   I haven't written about their back story yet,  I have some ideas about how I am going to present it but they aren't fully formed.  At first they were a 'Plot Device' TM so that I could run a campaign about the Celts.  They were placed in the Roman period because the fall of the Celtic tribes of old began with one 'Gaius Julius Caesar' and his conquest of Spain and Gaul in order to further his ambitions.  What I didn't know until I did some research was that his father had the same name and actually is recorded as dying whilst tying his shoes  :shock:   It seemed like a good point to start and introduce them.  As the campaign progresses (I'm up to 3135) it will become apparent who the aliens that kick started the T-N research are.  I will start to expand the back story of the assassins at the same time.
Welchbloke

Offline Spartanius

• Leading Rate
  • S
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 03:40:15 PM »
Yeah I gotta say its because of the mystery of the assassins that I am reading your fiction. Very nice writing.

Offline welchbloke (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 08:37:48 AM »
I've just upgraded to 5.2 and so the Celtic campaign will be re-born as the Celtic Redux campaign.  I have a further 10 years of records for the old campaign.  Is anyone interested in me posting them?  If not I will write up the fairly spectacular end to my current campaign and start on the new one in about 8 weeks time (disappearing off on a course).
Welchbloke

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 07:44:26 AM »
I'd like to see them - and not just from a sense of Celtic solidarity
Slàinte,

Mike

Offline schroeam

• Lt. Commander
  • s
  • "Let's try a new strategy, let the Wookiee win"
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 11:43:53 AM »
I'd like to see the finale.

Adam.

Offline welchbloke (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 01:45:57 PM »
Quote from: "adradjool"
I'd like to see the finale.

Adam.
OK, I've started my course so I will have to post them in mid-Oct, earlier if I can write them up whilst I'm away.
Welchbloke

Offline welchbloke (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 05:38:35 AM »
I've survived 8 weeks of academia so now back to the story....
I've started a new campaign that is linked to this one, so I intend to post mostly AARs mixed in with some stories that flesh out the background of Amynedd Grunna (who will influence the new campaign) and the Temporal Celts (who are the link between my campaigns).
Welchbloke

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 11:25:27 PM »
Got some Galaxy Map shots?

And could you give a brief Out Of Character run down on the NPRs and their relationship to you? I was getting a bit confused because I think you swapped some NPR names around in your writing by mistake.

Offline welchbloke (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 03:35:04 PM »
Got some Galaxy Map shots?

And could you give a brief Out Of Character run down on the NPRs and their relationship to you? I was getting a bit confused because I think you swapped some NPR names around in your writing by mistake.
I never got any galaxy shots and this campaign(5.14) is already dead (for reasons that will become apparent later).  I'm using it as a link piece to my new campaign(v5.20) where I have been takin copious screenshots :)
As far as the protagonists go:
Arkhangelsk Confederation (ArkCon) - encountered early on 3 jumps away from the Sol system (they are actually the start game NPR).  They eventually become allies of the Celts.
Calebririon Dynastry (Cal) - Discovered in the 82 Eridani system 5 jumps from Sol.   Never a real threat during the game and had just to really exapnd when the game finished.
Union of Bhuj (Bhu)- Discovered in Ross 594 system.  Not a threat early on but they both a significant factor by the end of the game.
Union of Garn Singh(Garns) - At war with the ArkCons and end up at war with the Celts.
Precursors - Mostly target practice.
Swarm - Definately target practice.
Invaders - Target practice that shots back :)
Temporal Celts - Not a race as such but they are central to the story.
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? - ? ? ? ? ? ? ? will turn up later.
By the time the game finished there about13 races in the game; however, these are the only the Celts encounter.

I learnt a lot from trying to turn this campaign into a story.  For the next campaign the months will be in english and I have massively increased the number of screenshots.  hopefully, this will make things easier to follow.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 06:13:08 AM by welchbloke »
Welchbloke

Offline Sotak246

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 12:48:25 PM »
Much as the Celtic months added some nice flavor, I like the idea of using English months just to make it easier on my poor brain. :P

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2010, 12:02:12 AM »
Have they never heard of the Temporal Prime Directive!!? :)