Author Topic: PDC deployment yime  (Read 2663 times)

Offline mikelovskij (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • m
PDC deployment yime
« on: May 26, 2015, 05:13:26 PM »
Hi, I'm almost sure this question has already been asked, but I was not able to find an answer:
is there any reason to choose a deployment time bigger than the minimum possible for PDC, since they will always be orbiting a planet?

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
Re: PDC deployment yime
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 05:44:08 PM »
PDCs are ground based for players - only the AI uses orbital "pdcs" (actually just ships/stations) due to the issue of having to write separate AI text for just that I presume.
I have never increased deployment time for them over the minimum, and you are right that it will always stay at 0 since they are on colonies. However, I do not exactly know when a colony really qualifies as a colony, so it could be that PDC on a planet that has nothing else anymore (no population, infrastructure or factories/mines) will not receive this. Seems like an exotic situation though. Have never had this yet, though I plan to.
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Offline AL

• Captain
  • A
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 06:16:37 PM »
I've designed and built some PDC's on Earth with deployment time set to 0. 1 months to shave off a couple tons, and they have yet to encounter any ill effects.

If I remember correctly, colonies of 10k pop or more will allow ships/stations orbiting the system body to have shore leave, although I'm not sure if PDC's even need shore leave.  I seem to vaguely recall someone putting sensor PDC's on asteroids and then just forgetting about them, which if true would indicate the intended deployment time on PDC's is completely useless.

I'm at uni atm so I can't test it myself, but this should be a relatively straightforward thing to set up.

Offline mtm84

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • m
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 06:04:52 PM »
From what I have seen, deployment time doesn't matter if its on a planet with a population large enough for shore leave.  If you place a PDC on a rock with no population then the crew will complain about it, but crew morale only affects weapons, so plopping down sensors and leaving them wont really matter.