Author Topic: Ruins!  (Read 3069 times)

Offline user-unknown (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
Ruins!
« on: June 13, 2012, 01:19:27 PM »
Just curious, but what are the best ruins anyone has ever found?  I've currently got a Deserted Intact City which had something like 1350 installations - only TL2 but it looks like the techs you get from recovering installations aren't linked to the TL of the civilisation.  I'm not even half way through exploiting them (780 left) but so far, I've got about 10 or 15 technologies from them including such fun things as Advanced Particle Beams, Biphase Carbide Armor, Fuel Efficiency 6, Construction 20 and 25, Mining 20 and Grav Strength 36.  I've also had about 8 or 9 attacks from robotic guardians, but my defending ground units are generally able to deal with them within two or three turns :)

I think I was very lucky with my tech finds - most of these are pretty great techs to level up, and were also areas where I had already focussed quite a lot of research into getting previous levels.  Quite glad it is giving me these sorts of expensive things instead of Missile ECM 1 or Nuclear Pulse Drone Engine  (currently at MagCon drives ;) )

EDIT: heh, I spoke too soon - my very next 30 day turn gave me another GMC and Genome Sequence Research  ::)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 01:27:02 PM by user-unknown »

Offline ExChairman

• Bronze Supporter
  • Commodore
  • E
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
Re: Ruins!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 01:53:07 PM »
The level part doesnt seem to work, I think Steve said somewhere that he will check it out sometime and fix it then. So you can get a lot of "god stuff". About the total installations, I think I had around 2000-2500 on a planet with intact cities...
Veni, Vedi, Volvo
"Granström"

Wargame player and Roleplayer for 33 years...

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 03:04:12 PM »
I'm not positive on this, but I believe it won't give you tech info on stuff you already have. So if you have Ion engines, you won't get Nuclear Pulse engine tech. Now you may find a Nuke Pulse engine component, but with stuff like that, I decon one to see if I get anything, then scrap the rest if not.

And I think the TL of the ruins are linked to the components you find.

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 03:53:38 PM »
Yes, it's always given me the next tech level of a tech I already have.  The TL of the ship components I've recevied matches the TL reported for the colony (getting mainly Nuclear Thermal E33 engines, and things like Maintenance Modules, Jump Gate 180 modules from this one).

EDIT:  Woo, Mining 36 tons!  And 42 tons ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 04:21:20 PM by user-unknown »

Offline Shininglight

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 07:51:07 PM »
I'm currently exploiting ruins on a co-cos 2 planet right on sol's doorstep, I just recently aquired advanced particle torpedo warhead 3..... not sure what that's for but it sounds effective. My empire is currently in a repression so i can't quite exploit it like i want. So far no robits but ive got 3 brigades stationed just in case.
Admiral Damien James Winter, Defender of the Proxima Gate.

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 01:09:29 PM »
...I just recently aquired advanced particle torpedo warhead 3..... not sure what that's for but it sounds effective.

It's the advanced version of the Particle Beam technology and one of the 'special' techs you can only get from salvaging ruins - it's one of the same techs I received :)  I'm currently researching it up along with the particle beam range techs in an attempt to build horrific Shrike-equivalent gunships with a huge spinal ion cannon to nastily murder my valued allies enemies.  Once you have this, don't bother researching up the base 'particle beam strength' technolgies, just research this one instead - as far as I can tell, it boosts each HS/Power level up one damage step compared to the base one.

1) based around vanilla 'Particle Beam 3':

Code: [Select]
Beam Strength 3     Rate of Fire: 10 seconds     Maximum Range: 100,000 km
Launcher Size: 6 HS    Launcher HTK: 3
Power Requirement: 7    Power Recharge per 5 Secs: 6
Cost: 50    Crew: 60
Materials Required: 10x Duranium  10x Boronide  30x Corundium

2) based around the advanced particle beam 3 (smaller and less power needed):
Beam Strength 3     Rate of Fire: 5 seconds     Maximum Range: 100,000 km
Launcher Size: 5 HS    Launcher HTK: 2
Power Requirement: 5    Power Recharge per 5 Secs: 6
Cost: 42    Crew: 50
Materials Required: 8.4x Duranium  8.4x Boronide  25.2x Corundium

3) based around advanced particle beam 4 (same power and size as normal 3)

Beam Strength 4     Rate of Fire: 10 seconds     Maximum Range: 100,000 km
Launcher Size: 6 HS    Launcher HTK: 3
Power Requirement: 7    Power Recharge per 5 Secs: 6
Cost: 50    Crew: 60
Materials Required: 10x Duranium  10x Boronide  30x Corundium

(Yes, it has the wrong name - particle beams used to be called Particle Torpedos until they got renamed, probably to avoid confusion with Plasma Torpedos.  I guess this one got missed :))

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 01:42:29 PM »
It seems like mines are the most common building to receive from recovering ruins, and every time you recover a building you have a chance of getting a related tech.  This means I currently have Mining 60 tons, without ever researching any of the techs :)  Similarly, my sensor tech is now fairly awesome due to recovery of DSTS installations.

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 07:33:11 AM »
So sad you can't recover functional Planetary Missile Batteries.^^
Best find are still research centers.

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 08:11:35 AM »
You should be able to find preserved inhabitants.  With appropriate bio-tech you can revive them and add them to your empire.

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 12:10:21 PM »
It seems like mines are the most common building to receive from recovering ruins, and every time you recover a building you have a chance of getting a related tech.  This means I currently have Mining 60 tons, without ever researching any of the techs :)  Similarly, my sensor tech is now fairly awesome due to recovery of DSTS installations.

I thought this had been fixed, I think the mining/sensor/construction rate was meant to be limited to the tech level of the ruins, but it was a long time ago that I found a good set of ruins and boosted my tech using them

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 08:52:38 AM »
Yes, it has the wrong name - particle beams used to be called Particle Torpedos until they got renamed, probably to avoid confusion with Plasma Torpedos.  I guess this one got missed :)

It did :). Fixed for v5.70

Steve

Offline blue emu

• Commander
  • b
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 09:51:31 AM »
The best I've ever found was 1747 installations at TL-4 (IIRC). That was in my "Ad Astra" campaign, which formed the basis of an AAR on the Paradox forum.