Author Topic: v1.9.0 Bugs Thread  (Read 18511 times)

Offline Hastermain

• Petty Officer
  • H
How to reproduce the error
« Reply #90 on: April 29, 2020, 09:47:12 AM »
The function number: terribly sorry, I skipped them out of habit, but there were ~4 different ones. When saving the game, however, this error showed up:

the same function appeared during the time increment, i'm sure of it

The complete error text:
(1497): object reference not set to an instance of an object

Happened on initial contact with aliens, survey vessel with EM/Thermal sensors on discovered a new alien race and got attacked. Error that showed up on events: "New None Population contact: error"

The window affected: time increment
What you were doing at the time: time increment
Conventional or TN start: TN
Random or Real Stars: Real
Is your decimal separator a comma?: period, and thousand separator is a comma
Is the bug is easy to reproduce, intermittent or a one-off?: one-off
If this is a long campaign - say 75 years or longer - let me know the length of the campaign as well: 9 years long

Hey Steve, figured out how to reproduce the error. Just send any ship to Herschel 5173-A I. The 4 error windows (of function numbers 1957 1954 1943 478) will appear infinite times, and I believe it's tied to the ship being attacked by whatever it is.

P.S. got all spoilers turned on + no maintenance, may be tied to no maintenance since you changed the code?

Offline Resand

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
Re: v1.9.0 Bugs Thread
« Reply #91 on: April 29, 2020, 09:51:12 AM »
JP don't really link back to known stars compared to VB 6

Reported in 1.8, tested now in 1.9

Link to the 1.8 post (I hope) http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=10990.msg128854#msg128854

Did the same thing in 1.9. Got a few more loops this time around.  4 - 5, but doesn't seem correct still.
Count isn't exact as I've haven't bothered with lining the galaxy map up to count, since it seems like same situation as 1.8

Stopped at 100 systems with a lot of JP remaining and a 50 system limit.

Btw: are the system in the Galactic Map supposed to f... off to infinity if you don't manually organize them?
Might be something to do with SM'ing JP exploration, as the the map started of nice and grid like.

I also tried this with real stars in 1.8, didn't make the cut to post it. Same result as above. 4 - 5 loops. Manually stopped at 100 systems with a 50 system limit and plenty of JPs left.

You should have about 1 system in 15 connect to an existing system (same as VB6), except when there are less than 10 systems in the game, so with 100 systems you should have about 6 connections to existing systems, which it sounds like you have.

So the "local System generation chance" is how many systems "between" each connections to and known system but fudge by RNG so not exact?
I guess it fits more or less, does feel less connected then before. But can't really be bother to run it enough time to get numbers to prove one way or another :)

How about the max system rule?
I assumed I'd get to 50 systems, then there would be some leeway to account for systems with unexplored JP. But I've doubled the numbers without any signs of slowing down.

"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." - Gehm's Corollary

Offline smoelf

• Commander
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #92 on: April 29, 2020, 10:11:04 AM »
v. 1.9
If I have two ground units with either Ground Survey or Xeno Archaeology equipment, but they are still slightly different, and I obsolete one of them, they are both obsoleted. I have experienced the same thing in an earlier version and now as well in my 1.9 game. I have been unable to reproduce the bug in a different game - partly because I am not sure what conditions cause, so I have instead attached by DB.

The following users thanked this post: Second Foundationer

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #93 on: April 29, 2020, 10:29:53 AM »
Bug partially fixed from 1. 8
Ships with cargo holds less then 5000 tons still can't take resources and installations from mining colonies.  Standard cargo orders show only for Earth (so I assume maybe spaceport presence do its job) but selecting other colonies doesn't show any of the standard cargo orders.  My ship has Cargo shuttle module, I even put 2 but bug persist, with SM mode I added another tiny cargo hold up to 5000 tons and orders showed up.

Fixed now.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #94 on: April 29, 2020, 10:44:57 AM »
I know that this was brought up before, but I am really not sure that Earth Mineral Deposit setting is working. I set it to 1000 and I have 2 deposits with only 50000 minerals, then I tried 10000000 and again I had 1 deposit of 50000 and two deposits of 60000 minerals with below 0.5 availability. That seems low for something that was set much higher than normal setting.

Steve, could you please tell us a bit more about this particular setting?
v1.9.0
Decimal separator "."
I can also confirm this, using `1000` as the setting does not appear to have any effect on Homeworld minerals

I've found it. The Earth Deposits was working. The Sol system was generated with modified deposits on Earth. However, when the race was created it generated new home world deposits and overwrote the ones generated with the modifier.

Fixed now.

The following users thanked this post: DFNewb, FrankieFire, Licarious

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #95 on: April 29, 2020, 10:46:17 AM »
I noticed that with the new features for the windows they don t update properly if left open
example:
open missile design window -> open research window->SM research autocannon pod->recall the missile window by the tactical map button and you will see that you don't have any option for it.  Closing and reopening the window will update it.
An easy fix would be include a refresh button in each Window.

Re-selecting the race will refresh the window. That is true for all windows.

The following users thanked this post: UberWaffe

Offline simast

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • s
« Reply #96 on: April 29, 2020, 11:04:34 AM »
1.  Is the "Copy Colour" button working in the Events window as intended? Maybe I just don't understand how to use it correctly? I am not able to copy any colours to other events using this button.

2.  The event display on tactical map is really nice, however, would it be possible to also show event colours on tactical map the same way they are displayed in Events window?

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #97 on: April 29, 2020, 11:13:15 AM »
I tried to replicate the bugs for ground combat i experienced in the previous version using SM and setting up the same situation i was in; the fighters equipped with the pod bays work as intended but the same design with box launchers is still bugged doesn't have any option to perform planetary interactions even tho it is reported as eligible to do it in the design window.  easy to reproduce.

The code that allows order types was checking for pod bays, but not checking for missile launchers with pod ordnance. Fixed now.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #98 on: April 29, 2020, 11:13:59 AM »
1.  Is the "Copy Colour" button working in the Events window as intended? Maybe I just don't understand how to use it correctly? I am not able to copy any colours to other events using this button.

2.  The event display on tactical map is really nice, however, would it be possible to also show event colours on tactical map the same way they are displayed in Events window?

Copy Colour copies the colour to all other races in the game. Its useful for multiple player races.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #99 on: April 29, 2020, 11:19:25 AM »
V1.9.0: Tried to move a Mining Station with a Tug but the maintainance life of the Tug was too small; so I detached the Mining Station flew back to Earth to overhaul. And I just now realize that it kept flying there with the same slow speed as it was dragging the Mining Station. Checkbox "Use Maximum Speed" is on; I also tried to get it up to max speed with the conditional orders; but no effect (can I do it manually someplace?)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #100 on: April 29, 2020, 11:23:07 AM »
Ver 1.9.0 (but may have been present in earlier versions)
Decimal Separator .
New install

Magazine size for fractional missile sizes is being rounded down.  This prevents you from fully loading your magazine for the standard loadout.

To reproduce: design size 7.5 missile launcher, install in a class design, magazine will show 7 and the ordnance screen will not allow you to load a size 7.5 missile.

If you use a size and quantity of launchers such that it naturally comes to a whole number there is no problem.  For example 8x size 2.5 launchers gives a Magazine of 20 and you can load 20 8 size 2.5 missiles into the standard loadout.

Thanks!

I've changed magazine capacity to a decimal value. However, this will only take effect after the next database update as the v1.9 database is storing an integer.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #101 on: April 29, 2020, 11:25:51 AM »
V1.9.0: Tried to move a Mining Station with a Tug but the maintainance life of the Tug was too small; so I detached the Mining Station flew back to Earth to overhaul. And I just now realize that it kept flying there with the same slow speed as it was dragging the Mining Station. Checkbox "Use Maximum Speed" is on; I also tried to get it up to max speed with the conditional orders; but no effect (can I do it manually someplace?)

How did you detach the mining station - using the Detach button?

Offline Red Dot

• Registered
  • Commander
  • R
« Reply #102 on: April 29, 2020, 11:33:30 AM »
I noticed this in V1.8 and it is still happening in V1.9.

if you insert a ruin on Mars and leave the game after saving to the database, the ruins are gone after you re-open it.

This may be working as intended but I have not seen any discussion to that effect.

Offline Argoniur

• Leading Rate
  • A
Re: How to reproduce the error
« Reply #103 on: April 29, 2020, 11:43:55 AM »
Quote from: Hastermain link=topic=11135.  msg129105#msg129105 date=1588171632
Quote from: Hastermain link=topic=11135.  msg129011#msg129011 date=1588144331
The function number: terribly sorry, I skipped them out of habit, but there were ~4 different ones.   When saving the game, however, this error showed up:

the same function appeared during the time increment, i'm sure of it

The complete error text:
(1497): object reference not set to an instance of an object

Happened on initial contact with aliens, survey vessel with EM/Thermal sensors on discovered a new alien race and got attacked.   Error that showed up on events: "New None Population contact: error"

The window affected: time increment
What you were doing at the time: time increment
Conventional or TN start: TN
Random or Real Stars: Real
Is your decimal separator a comma?: period, and thousand separator is a comma
Is the bug is easy to reproduce, intermittent or a one-off?: one-off
If this is a long campaign - say 75 years or longer - let me know the length of the campaign as well: 9 years long

Hey Steve, figured out how to reproduce the error.   Just send any ship to Herschel 5173-A I.   The 4 error windows (of function numbers 1957 1954 1943 478) will appear infinite times, and I believe it's tied to the ship being attacked by whatever it is.   

P.  S.   got all spoilers turned on + no maintenance, may be tied to no maintenance since you changed the code?

This happened to me too on contact with something, it happened prior to my survey ship being blown up, idk what attacked it but it could be spoilers since my survey ship had sensors and I've never had an NPR blow up my survey ship without me seeing them at all, neither ships nor missiles.   That time I closed the 4 error windows and moved on, then about a year later I got the same 4 events but infinite, could not save or close them (and I tried for a while), had to close the program, and I had no save at all since I was only 8 years in.   I am replaying the same game from the start to try to replicate it and have a save closer to it happening but for now it hasn't happened yet.

Edit: I was playing with maintenance so I don't think it's that, and no invaders in my case
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 11:46:39 AM by Argoniur »

The following users thanked this post: stabliser

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #104 on: April 29, 2020, 11:58:14 AM »

There was a problem with the detach code that meant the tug still thought it was tugging the station. It only happens when you detach the station rather than the tug. This also caused the same bug reported in the past where space stations gained the ability to travel at 300,000 km.

Both now fixed.

The following users thanked this post: TMaekler