Author Topic: 3.1 Suggestions  (Read 10704 times)

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2008, 10:04:00 AM »
Quote from: "SteveAlt"
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
A way to reset or clear the hull type listing.
Can't you just change it using the dropdown on the class window? or do you mean clear the whole list?

Steve

Clear the whole list
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Erik Luken »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2008, 05:53:45 PM »
Add a column on the Task Force screen in the ship display area at the top for % Magazines Full.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2008, 02:54:55 PM »
I think this has been suggested for prior versions... On ship completion, if the ship has a missile load out specified, it draws from planetary stocks to load magazines.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2008, 03:32:59 PM »
Allow sorting of the Shipyard tasks by columns. I'd like to sort by fleet mainly, though Completion date would be nice too.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2008, 03:37:42 PM »
Add the designation (BB, CA, CVL, etc) to the Manage Shipyards tab on the table showing the class. I'm old and keep forgetting which is my grav survey ship and which is the geo.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2008, 06:43:39 PM »
Add the designation (BB, CA, CVL, etc) to the Manage Shipyards tab on the table showing the class. I'm old and keep forgetting which is my grav survey ship and which is the geo.

LOL!!

That's easy - Lewis is grav survey and Clark is geo....or was it the other way around?

John

PS - Actually, I use Enterprise for my jump ship/grav survey class name, Lewis for geo survey and Clark for geo survey (hyper-capable).  Which reminds me - I've noticed a lot of "convergent evolution" in naming from things I've seen on the board - e.g. Mayflower for colony ships, Genesis for terraformers, ...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by sloanjh »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2008, 02:24:37 AM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"
LOL!!

That's easy - Lewis is grav survey and Clark is geo....or was it the other way around?

John

PS - Actually, I use Enterprise for my jump ship/grav survey class name, Lewis for geo survey and Clark for geo survey (hyper-capable).  Which reminds me - I've noticed a lot of "convergent evolution" in naming from things I've seen on the board - e.g. Mayflower for colony ships, Genesis for terraformers, ...

Heh. Normally I use Geode and Stellar, but this time I opted to keep all of the theme names in use. I tend to use Ark for the colony ships myself.

More of a suggestion, but when you click New, maybe a popup asking if you wish to use a Theme name, and if you hit no, either a dialog to enter one, or call it New Ship #132 etc.

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2008, 06:00:00 AM »
Add a column on the Task Force screen in the ship display area at the top for % Magazines Full.

Added for v3.1

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by SteveAlt »

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2008, 06:11:08 AM »
I think this has been suggested for prior versions... On ship completion, if the ship has a missile load out specified, it draws from planetary stocks to load magazines.

In v3.1, Ships, PDC and Fighters will all draw from the ordnance stockpile of the population where they are constructed. Any ships created by the Create OOB window will start with full magazines for free,

Steve

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2008, 06:18:34 AM »
Allow sorting of the Shipyard tasks by columns. I'd like to sort by fleet mainly, though Completion date would be nice too.

I've added alphanumeric sorting for shipyard tasks to v3.1. You can just double-click a column to sort by it. Dates are a little different because they are not alphanumeric. However, already in v3.0 is the Schedule button on the shipyard window which will bring up a list of all shipyard tasks in order of completion date.

Steve

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2008, 06:32:39 AM »

I have added the hull designation to the table, and also to the Retool and New Class dropdowns.

Steve

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2008, 07:21:50 AM »
Quote from: "Charlie Beeler"
Steve, as usual you have done an over the top job with Aurora.  The functionality is leagues ahead of SA.  That also means that you?re the victim of your own success.  Each new or improved piece gets me wondering what I want next.  

So here are various suggestions in no particular order:

In the fighter screen (f7)  Allow block assignments to squadrons as well as individual. (ie shift+drag to highlight a block, or cntl+click to highlight non-contiguous)
I have moved the existing list of fighters on to a tab control. There is also a second tab that allows you to move fighters in a block between squadrons or to/from unassigned. Its very similar to the right-hand side of the organization tab on the Fleet window.

In research tab of (f2)  Add a sort that uses field for the high order.
You can now sort by any of the three columns on the Research tab by double-clicking. As with other sortable grids, double-clicking the same column twice will reverse the sort order.

In Class Design (f5) allow for selection of class name similar what you had in SA. Maybe a check box to toggle auto-assign.
Not sure what you mean here. There is a Name Type for classes in Aurora, just as with SA. Its on the information tab. Is that what you meant? As an aside, I have got SA and Aurora open at the same time while I look at this and its amazing how relatively primitive SA looks.

During race setup have the ability to restrict what tech trees are available.
Do you mean prevent a race from being able to research specific tech lines such as laser focal size or a whole research field such as Missiles/Kinetics

The ability to create star systems for a new player race that is not initially connected an exist race.  This system should be able to generate at least 1 planet that meets parameters assigned to the new race so that the SM doesn?t have to cycle through random system generations or need to manually edit.  The ability for the SM to manually edit a newly generated system should be available though.

This is very difficult to accomplish. The main problem is that a species gets its tolerances from the planet on which it is created, so you can't create a species and then try to find a planet to fit. The system generation code is so complex (it took me almost a year to write), with so many factors going into each planet, that creating custom systems is almost impossible. I could ask questions at each step in the same way as SA did but there are a huge number of steps involved and most of the time you wouldn't know what the result would be of choosing a particular star type, planetary distance, density, albedo, atmospheric content, etc because of the formulas involved.

As an example, when a planet is created, the code selects the basic type based on the orbital distance and the star type, then it generates radius and density and from that gets mass, gravity and escape velocity. The year is based on star mass and orbital distance. Tidal forces are calculated using the same information and from that, combined with the system age, the chance of tidelocking is calculated. Solar Infall is calculated based on star luminosity and orbital distance, which in turn affects the base temperature. Other stars within the system also have an impact on Solar Infall as well. Day length is based on tidal forces and system age. Tectonics are calculated based on tidal forces and day length. Magnetic field is based on density, mass and system age. Hydrosphere is based on the "zone" in which the planet is located plus radius, atmospheric pressure, temperature, etc.

The possible atmosphere gases are based on base temperature, plus volcanic gases based on tectonics. Nobles and halogens mays also be added. Amospheric pressure is based on mass, gravity and radius then individual gas proportions are calculated. Some gases are frozen on the surface (the (F) you might see next to the gas name). Albedo is based on pressure, zone and hydrosphere. The Greenhouse factor is also calculated based on the pressure and which gases are present. Surface temperature is then calculated based on base temperature, greenhouse effects, albedo and pressure. Then a check is made for runaway greenhouse effects based on pressure and temperature, which itself may result in changes to atmospheric gases, albedo, pressure, etc and will result in a new surface temperature

Then a recalculation takes place because certain gases might no longer be frozen, which will then in turn cause a further recalculation due to the effect of the released gas on pressure, albedo, surface temperature, hydrosphere, etc. Then a check is made for possible pressure loss of tidelocked worlds that don't have a runaway greehouse effect, which again causes recalculations in albedo, greenhuse factors, temperature, etc.. Once all that is completed, I then check to see if the resulting conditions might support life and check for the possibility of NPRs.  

Of course, all that is only possible once the basic system layout is complete and working out valid orbital shells in multiple star systems, taking into account the gravitational effects of all the stars and other large bodies such as superjovians, is pretty complex in itself.

All of the above is done using the scientific formulas, not using made-up game tables such as in Starfire. So escape velocity is Escape Velocity = ((19600 * Gravity * Radius) ^ 0.5) / 11200, Gravity = Mass / ((Radius / 6380) ^ 2) and Year is ((OrbDistance ^ 3) / StarMass) ^ 0.5, etc. That is why knowing the effect of a particular planetary creation choice would be very difficult.

Which is all a very long way of saying, that coming up with a system with a planet to suit a particular set of tolerances would not be easy. On the plus side, it means that Aurora's star systems are fairly realistic and based on some reasonable scientific theory, although I have tweaked the numbers in places to increase the amount of habitable worlds and significantly increase the number of interesting stars. I am biaised but I think Aurora's system generation is the best of any sci-fi game :)

However, if as an SM you want to create a particular planetary environment then pick any terrestrial size world with reasonable gravity, create a colony and then open the Environmental tab of the pop window for that colony. Using the SM Set Atm button you can setup whatever atmosphere you want. By playing with the atmosphere you can radically alter the environmental conditions and should be able to create a suitable world on which to create a race. Don't forget that the race is based on the planet, so if you have a planet that is -40C, with 4 atm of pressure and only 0.05 atm of oxygen, the race you create will treat that planet as ideal and all other planets will be judged by that race based on how they compare to their homeworld

Steve
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 08:07:34 AM by SteveAlt »

The following users thanked this post: Kyle

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2008, 07:46:21 AM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"
Can we have a "show obsolete" checkbox on the Class Design (F5) screen?  If unchecked, classes with the "obsolete" box checked would be filtered out of the pulldown list.

I just switched all my designs to a new armor type - there are now twice as many classes to chose from in my pulldown (only 1/2 of which I care about) :-)

I have added a Hide Obsolete checkbox. The program will remember the state of this checkbox for each race so you won't need to check it every time.

Steve

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2008, 07:56:55 AM »
Quote from: "Pete_Keller"
reverse sort the drop-down boxes for designing components.

This would allow you to select shield and get the best parts for shield.

Its not quite as straightfoward as reversing everything because while you might want to see the best shield or best engine tech, you may not want to see the largest missile launcher or the best power vs efficiency tech. Instead, I have added some extra columns to the database so I can flag which techs get reverse sorted in the Create Research Project window.  I am going to go through them all now and set them for v3.1.  It should make a life a lot easier.

Steve

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2008, 08:11:25 AM »
Quote from: "Charlie Beeler"
Another request for fighters.

The ability to un-assign squadrons from carrier/mothership.

The ability to un-assign fighters from a squadron.

The latter will be possible using the new tab I have added to the Squadron window. For the former, I'll add an unassign button for squadrons.

Steve