Author Topic: Team Questions  (Read 1817 times)

Offline Cunak (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • C
Team Questions
« on: April 03, 2009, 05:31:08 AM »
Howdy do.

I finally got Aurora to run on my Vista 62 bit machine....mega DLL/Registry issues.

I've created several Xeno teams and a Geology team on Earth but I'm encountering difficulties when trying to replace team members or even in disbanding teams.  If there is an easy way to do this then I'm not seeing it on the team summary screen when I hit F2.  I can easily create the initial teams but don't see any way to replace team members or disband teams in this window.  I end up going to the commanders window and then searching for leaders with the xeno trait and then resetting them to make them available.  However, when I go back to the F2/team window the initial team is still showing up.  Worse still if I create a new team with the same overall leader then I end up with two teams with the same name on the colony.

I'm also trying to find a way to increase the dust level on Earth to reflect massive volcanic activity without having to resort to nuking the crap out of an imaginary enemy.  I've tried adjusting this on the system screen and also on the environmental tab on the colony screen without success.  I'm in SM mode when I try this and the fields are greyed out to me on the environmental tab.

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
Re: Team Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 07:54:02 AM »
Quote from: "Cunak"
Howdy do.

I finally got Aurora to run on my Vista 62 bit machine....mega DLL/Registry issues.

I've created several Xeno teams and a Geology team on Earth but I'm encountering difficulties when trying to replace team members or even in disbanding teams.  If there is an easy way to do this then I'm not seeing it on the team summary screen when I hit F2.  I can easily create the initial teams but don't see any way to replace team members or disband teams in this window.  I end up going to the commanders window and then searching for leaders with the xeno trait and then resetting them to make them available.  However, when I go back to the F2/team window the initial team is still showing up.  Worse still if I create a new team with the same overall leader then I end up with two teams with the same name on the colony.
Steve explained how teams now work in v4.0 in this thread:
http://aurora.pentarch.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1367&p=11371&hilit=team#p11371
As far as I can see you can add and remove team members but cannot disband a team once created.
Welchbloke

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 04:41:39 PM »
Howdy do.

<snip>
I'm also trying to find a way to increase the dust level on Earth to reflect massive volcanic activity without having to resort to nuking the crap out of an imaginary enemy.  I've tried adjusting this on the system screen and also on the environmental tab on the colony screen without success.  I'm in SM mode when I try this and the fields are greyed out to me on the environmental tab.

Welcome to our addiction.  :D

I don't believe that atmospheric dust is SM adjustable.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 10:30:42 AM »
The SM can't modify it in v4.0B but I have added Dust and Radiation to the SM Mods window for v4.1

Steve

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 10:34:36 AM »
Howdy do.

You can't disband teams at the moment. It sounds like I need to add that ability though. If someone leaves a team or is reassigned then you can assign new commanders to that team on the Commanders window. The team is an assignment just as if you were assigning them to a ship. Creating two teams with the same leader shouldn't be possible so that sounds like a bug. I'll look into it and get back to you.

Steve

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 11:07:24 AM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
Creating two teams with the same leader shouldn't be possible so that sounds like a bug. I'll look into it and get back to you.

I think the problem (which I was worried about too) is that the name of the team is hard-wired to the name of the leader, even after the leader has left the team.  Consider the following workflow:

1)  Create (new) team A led by "John Doe"
2)  Remove John Doe from team A; replace with "Jane Doe"
3)  Create (new) team B led by John Doe

This should be do-able, given the ability to swap members on and off the team.  Unless you're keying the team identity off of the leaders officerID (or whatever you call it), I don't think this should break anything (other than having identical team names).  Proposal: Allow renaming of teams or remove commander's name from auto-generated team name.

John

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 11:16:43 AM »
You can't disband teams at the moment. It sounds like I need to add that ability though.
You can disband teams in v4.1. Here is a screenshot of the updated teams section from the Pop window.

[attachment=0:13e0p671]teams.GIF[/attachment:13e0p671]
Steve

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 11:24:10 AM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"
Creating two teams with the same leader shouldn't be possible so that sounds like a bug. I'll look into it and get back to you.

I think the problem (which I was worried about too) is that the name of the team is hard-wired to the name of the leader, even after the leader has left the team.  Consider the following workflow:

1)  Create (new) team A led by "John Doe"
2)  Remove John Doe from team A; replace with "Jane Doe"
3)  Create (new) team B led by John Doe

This should be do-able, given the ability to swap members on and off the team.  Unless you're keying the team identity off of the leaders officerID (or whatever you call it), I don't think this should break anything (other than having identical team names).  Proposal: Allow renaming of teams or remove commander's name from auto-generated team name.
Good idea. I have added a Rename button to the Team section as well.

Steve

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 11:34:56 AM »
A couple of team-related bugs I have fixed for v4.1

When filtering commanders, those assigned to a team where shown as Unassigned by being highlighed in grey and were not excluded by the 'Unassigned Officers Only' checkbox.

They are already excluded from any auto-assign code in v4.0 (which I thought I had better check) :)

Steve

Offline phandukto

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • p
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 07:18:11 PM »
Hi, all - stumbled upon this game courtesy of the fiction on the wargamer, I think.  Anyway, feeling my way through it.

How do we "drop off" a team?  The situation is a destroyed installation, colony 0.0 (perfect), and I have a xenology team.  Trying to drop them off, but it makes me select...then nothing happens.

Any help would be appreciated.  Love the game.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 07:36:52 PM »
Quote from: "phandukto"
Hi, all - stumbled upon this game courtesy of the fiction on the wargamer, I think.  Anyway, feeling my way through it.

How do we "drop off" a team?  The situation is a destroyed installation, colony 0.0 (perfect), and I have a xenology team.  Trying to drop them off, but it makes me select...then nothing happens.

Any help would be appreciated.  Love the game.

Is there an actual colony present? Or is the cost just 0.0? You need to create a colony (from the F9 screen) first.

Offline phandukto

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • p
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 07:52:48 PM »
Many thanks, Erik.  Very helpful, and it worked!

Off to figure out jump ships...very cool game.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 05:03:54 PM »
No problem. :)

Jumpships can transit ships up to and equal to their tonnage (not the rating of the jump drive). So best practice is to maximize your dedicated jumpships to their drive rating.