Author Topic: NPR are not building survey ships  (Read 676 times)

oaklizard

NPR are not building survey ships
« on: May 11, 2023, 03:06:07 AM »
So this is my first game where i finally decided to add in some spoilers and an NPR.  So i decided to spawn in an NPR once i managed to build my first jump capable ship with research points equal to the amount of RP i've generated so far and no ship building points.  After around 20 years, I've explored 9 systems so far and decided to check in on the NPR through db editing.  And for some reason, the NPR, despite having the technology and the class designed, does not have any survey ships.  Their shipyards are instead building colony ships and fuel harvesters, which are useless because their system doesnt have any gas giants or any colonizable worlds.  Do i just have to wait longer so that they can start building survey ships, or should i just generate a new NPR?

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Re: NPR are not building survey ships
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2023, 11:43:27 AM »
Hello and welcome to the forums. Please register your account so we do not have to manually approve each post you make.

As to your problem, NPRs do generally perform surveys so without taking a closer look at your db, I can't offer any solutions.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Re: NPR are not building survey ships
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2023, 02:16:24 PM »
So i decided to spawn in an NPR once i managed to build my first jump capable ship with research points equal to the amount of RP i've generated so far and no ship building points.

This is probably the source of your problem. NPRs usually generate a bunch of ships when they spawn in, around 30 different classes I think, which means they will not have the shipyards to build all of the ships they start with. If you do not let a NPR start with ships they will struggle to correctly manage their shipyards and may not build, e.g., survey ships or military. Probably the best solution here is to remove the NPR and try again, and this time leave the starting BP setting as-is.

Hopefully some of the changes to NPR fleet design in v2.2 will alleviate this, but in general the NPRs are not equally as capable as the player races and do not play by quite the same rules as a result, so it is best to understand these rules before doing anything too out of the ordinary with them.  ;)