Author Topic: C# Aurora v0.x Questions  (Read 183867 times)

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
Re: C# Aurora v0.x Questions
« Reply #300 on: February 07, 2019, 04:12:22 PM »
I'll code it when I meet one :)

That's kind of taking JiT to the extreme :D
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 03:00:01 PM by boggo2300 »
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline clement

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • c
« Reply #301 on: February 07, 2019, 05:44:11 PM »
Steve,

In VB, if I remember correctly, an Orbital Habitat that contains a population cannot be moved to another location without removing the colonists or providing cryogenic transport.

In C# Aurora, will it be possible to move an Orbital Habitat without unloading the population?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #302 on: February 07, 2019, 06:12:46 PM »
Steve,

In VB, if I remember correctly, an Orbital Habitat that contains a population cannot be moved to another location without removing the colonists or providing cryogenic transport.

In C# Aurora, will it be possible to move an Orbital Habitat without unloading the population?

No, the habitat is like infrastructure. It adds to the capacity of a population, but it doesn't provide any transport capacity. If you move it, the population stays on the planet (and probably dies horribly).

Offline mtm84

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • m
« Reply #303 on: February 08, 2019, 02:50:49 AM »
and probably dies horribly

Queue "Dozens of civilian colony ships dump a few million people on a world that just received its first batch of infrastructure" Flashbacks.

Offline The Forbidden

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • T
« Reply #304 on: February 08, 2019, 06:40:14 AM »
So the NPRs are always hostile in your campaign ?

I'll code it when I meet one :)

Okay. And hey, at least it'll give your nations something to shoot at other than each other, especially with slight....Mars related issues that could come up. (the more I read the more I feel like this is the Trans-Newtonian campaign all over again, which is good, I loved that campaign.)

Offline clement

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • c
« Reply #305 on: February 08, 2019, 08:59:41 AM »
Steve,

No, the habitat is like infrastructure. It adds to the capacity of a population, but it doesn't provide any transport capacity. If you move it, the population stays on the planet (and probably dies horribly).

Scenario:
10 habs each supporting 1 million population
1 million population are removed by transports.
If I tractor 1 hab away from the planet, will the code will be smart enough to remove the hab capacity without harming the remaining population? Effectively treating the hab population as an aggregate versus an even distribution across all habs?

Just trying to make sure I understand how it works.
Thanks

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #306 on: February 08, 2019, 09:24:53 AM »
Population isn't assigned to individual habs. The habs contribute to an "infrastructure pool" that the population resides in. In your scenario the population would be fine so long as at least 1 hab is left.

The following users thanked this post: clement

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #307 on: February 08, 2019, 09:28:16 AM »
Scenario:
If I tractor 1 hab away from the planet, will the code will be smart enough to remove the hab capacity without harming the remaining population? Effectively treating the hab population as an aggregate versus an even distribution across all habs?

Thanks

That depends.  Did you make one Colony and assign all ten Orbital Habitats to it, or did you make 10 different colonies on the same body and assign one OrbHab to each?

The following users thanked this post: clement

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #308 on: February 08, 2019, 09:48:51 AM »
Scenario:

Thanks

Think of Orbital Habitats as infrastructure. When you remove infrastructure, you reduce available space for the population. When you move an orbital habitats, you are doing exactly the same. The population isn't 'assigned' to any particular hab, just like it isn't assigned to any specific part of the infrastructure.

The following users thanked this post: clement, SpikeTheHobbitMage, Agoelia, The Forbidden

Offline clement

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • c
« Reply #309 on: February 13, 2019, 02:26:39 PM »
The current fuel shortages in the Cold Sun campaign, made me wonder, when a civilian line launches a Fuel Harvester, will any nation be able to buy the fuel from it, or just the nation the civilian line is registered with?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #310 on: February 13, 2019, 04:55:36 PM »
The current fuel shortages in the Cold Sun campaign, made me wonder, when a civilian line launches a Fuel Harvester, will any nation be able to buy the fuel from it, or just the nation the civilian line is registered with?

The same nation.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #311 on: February 13, 2019, 11:24:39 PM »
If you're allied to someone can you purchase their fuel?
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #312 on: February 14, 2019, 03:34:33 AM »
If you're allied to someone can you purchase their fuel?

Not at the moment. You may not want your allies to purchase your fuel, so it would have to be optional. If I go down that route, I might consider having some form of trading where you offer items for sale (including fuel, minerals, installations, ships, etc.) for either money or minerals and set the acceptable level of relations for the trade.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #313 on: February 14, 2019, 03:40:44 AM »
Not at the moment. You may not want your allies to purchase your fuel, so it would have to be optional. If I go down that route, I might consider having some form of trading where you offer items for sale (including fuel, minerals, installations, ships, etc.) for either money or minerals and set the acceptable level of relations for the trade.

Something I often do in SM is to trade ship components or missiles. It seems logical to not buy a whole ship if your ally have superior engines & missiles, but instead just the parts you need.

Offline Titanian

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #314 on: February 14, 2019, 05:05:24 AM »
Even just sm-accessible dialogs for transferring minerals or missiles would really be useful. For minerals, one currently has to manually add and remove them to populations when doing a trade. Missiles currently have to be loaded into some ship, the ship transferred, then unloaded, and then the ship transferred back (or removed if it was a temporary one), and then you have to remove the ship class from the other race. Also useful would be a way to sm-transfer populations without any technology transfer happening, and a way to set population status (subjugated and so on).