Author Topic: Research leaps  (Read 2007 times)

Offline ardem (OP)

• Rear Admiral
  • a
Research leaps
« on: September 16, 2011, 08:56:36 PM »
Why does researching a a high spec say for instance Base Temperature, make you give away the the research to other neutrals.

For instance I am in a game, 3 different empires, One empire gained Base Temperature -30 from one empire, then gave the Base Temperature of -10 +10 technology to the third empire.

The are not sharing research so why did it give it away?

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Research leaps
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 11:53:44 PM »
Why does researching a a high spec say for instance Base Temperature, make you give away the the research to other neutrals.

For instance I am in a game, 3 different empires, One empire gained Base Temperature -30 from one empire, then gave the Base Temperature of -10 +10 technology to the third empire.

Do they have colonies on the same planets?  Research "leaks" (or at least it used to....) from hi-tech to lo-tech empires on the same planet.  I don't recall if it also leaks just through contact - I don't think it does....

John

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 12:17:34 AM »

As John said, it's not being given away, it is being acquired through osmosis. Like how tech flows between countries here. As older tech is phased out, third world countries pick it up, and it may or may not be higher than what they have.

Offline ardem (OP)

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 03:50:10 AM »
I thought as much yes they do have colonies on the same planet, would this change is they were not on the same planet.

Is this the same to hostile groups as well or just friendly/neutral that share lower tech.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 08:31:03 AM »
I thought as much yes they do have colonies on the same planet, would this change is they were not on the same planet.

Is this the same to hostile groups as well or just friendly/neutral that share lower tech.

Lower level technology flows to nations on the same planet and also to trade partners

Steve

Offline user-unknown

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 10:25:22 AM »
Is this how the research sharing with allies works?  I've been quite lucky with the NPR diplomacy rolls and currently have 2 races at the level for them sharing tech with me - sometimes I just get tech randomly even when I don't know the prerequisites (e.g. getting shield regen 2 when I don't have 1.5), but other times they seem to give me vaguely related technology when I finish a topic myself, e.g. on the turn I finished a power increase tech, they gave me a power reduction tech one level higher than I knew.  (I think this happened with another tech too but I can't remember for sure)

Also, do you get notified when you donate tech to another race?  I've been allied with one of them for quite a while (>10 years) but don't think I've ever seen a notification of tech going the other way (I have granted them research sharing)

Offline Girlinhat

• Lieutenant
  • G
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 06:26:27 PM »
Does player research flow as well?  Could you effectively 'steal' data from another empire by setting up a colony on their world?  Or I assume it would have to be a populated world...

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 10:19:49 PM »
Does player research flow as well?  Could you effectively 'steal' data from another empire by setting up a colony on their world?  Or I assume it would have to be a populated world...

Yep.  IIRC, It was originally intended for Steve's multi-national Earth starts.  Not sure if there's a pop requirement.

John