Author Topic: Missile Techs, unrest and some more - ITT Questions from the Noob.  (Read 2038 times)

Offline GodEmperor (OP)

• Commander
I don't see any of the "Ask simple questions here" thread but if i miss something than delete this topic and point me in the right direction coz im a retard :P .

1.  Let's say i've designed some Size 10 missile at the game start.  Will they be upgraded as i research new missile techs ( warhead strength, agility etc ) or do i have to design new Size 10 missile for those techs to have effect ??

2.  What happens if my fully developed colony ( shipyards, every TN mineral on the planet, research labs etc.  ) rebels ?? Will they simply have a generic video game "strike" like cities in Civilization or will they become a full independent faction building ships, colonizing, shooting at my ships, making deals with others, researching things etc ??

3.  Are there any "high SF" techs and things in this game like in Space Empires 5 - Dyson Spheres, blowing up planets, making black holes etc ??

Thanks in advance for answers.  :)
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."

Offline metalax

• Commander
  • m
1->Once designed missile abilities are fixed, you will need to design new missiles to take advantage of newly researched tech.
2->Can't say for sure, I've never had it happen. Placing troops on the colony will help quell any unrest.
3->Not really. There are some techs that can only be obtained through ruins/salvaging invaders however.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
2 - I don't believe populations can rebel.
3 - Nothing like that.

Offline GodEmperor (OP)

• Commander
2->Can't say for sure, I've never had it happen.  Placing troops on the colony will help quell any unrest.
2 - I don't believe populations can rebel.
So what happens when unrest reaches 100 % ??
Anyway, that would be awesome addition to this briliant game - Civil war, crew/officers loyalty etc.  Recreating Starfire "Insurection" would be awesome ;)

3->Not really.  There are some techs that can only be obtained through ruins/salvaging invaders however.
3 - Nothing like that.
Good.  Always hated those things.  ;)
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.

Offline Starfyre

• Petty Officer
  • S
from what I recall, it just torpedos your weath/construction/mining/research/etc as unrest rises.   I believe it's on a one for one basis, so 90% stability is 90% production, similar to being undermanned.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
So what happens when unrest reaches 100 % ??
Anyway, that would be awesome addition to this briliant game - Civil war, crew/officers loyalty etc.  Recreating Starfire "Insurection" would be awesome ;)

Completely tanks your manufacturing production.

Offline Maltay

• Sub-Lieutenant
As your Unrest goes up, your Manufacturing Efficiency Modifier goes down.
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Offline GodEmperor (OP)

• Commander
Ok thanks.   
Few more questions :

1.    Is it possible to design "Unmanned JP Transit capable MIRV or missile launcher" ( something like Hawk from Starfire ) ??

2.    Is it possible to design a Kinetic missile which makes damage not by exploding warhead but rather by ramming ship at incredible speed ??

3.   Conventional start applies only to player or does it apllies to both NPR and player ?? I recall reading some AAR's about player encountering Non-space age NPR's - was it just RP-ing or is it possible to encounter NPR that is not-space flight capable due to the lack of techs/minerals ??
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 05:42:30 AM by Lossmar »

Offline Maltay

• Sub-Lieutenant
1.    Is it possible to design "Unmanned JP Transit capable MIRV or missile launcher" ( something like Hawk from Starfire ) ??

Negative.  Only vessels that take orders can be ordered to transit a JP.  You can do this using a vessel equipped with a Jump Drive or by building a Jump Gate on the JP.

2.    Is it possible to design a Kinetic missile which makes damage not by exploding warhead but rather by ramming ship at incredible speed ??

Damage is determined by Warhead.  If there is no Warhead, it does no damage.

3.   Conventional start applies only to player or does it apllies to both NPR and player ?? I recall reading some AAR's about player encountering Non-space age NPR's - was it just RP-ing or is it possible to encounter NPR that is not-space flight capable due to the lack of techs/minerals ??

You can encounter both pre and post-Trans Newtonian NPCs.  This occurs when a NPC is generated in a newly explored system.  If you force the creation of NPCs at start, they will begin with an equivalent technology level, either pre or post-Trans Newtonian, depending on if you chose a Conventional start or not.
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Offline Varee

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • V
Ok thanks.   
Few more questions :

You can kind of make a fighter with 1-2 crew and jump engine with some fc and missle fire control. It wont me unmmanned but that as close as it get

You cant really ram stuff . You cant get your enermy to ram you some time but that is the only collision the game allow

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Missile Techs, unrest and some more - ITT Questions from the Noob.
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 11:34:17 AM »
You can encounter both pre and post-Trans Newtonian NPCs.  This occurs when a NPC is generated in a newly explored system.  If you force the creation of NPCs at start, they will begin with an equivalent technology level, either pre or post-Trans Newtonian, depending on if you chose a Conventional start or not.

The bold part is not correct.

While you can encounter pre-spaceflight aliens via exploration (though the probability is rather low), the NPCs generated at game start will allways be trans-newtonians and will have an amount of research points roughly equal to a player trans-newton race of that size. NPCs (trans-newton) you encouter later will start with the same amount of research points modified by the time the game was running, i.e. perhaps 10% bonus per 10 in-game years.

Note: I have pulled this number out of thin air, as I have no idea about the _real_ numbers.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Re: Missile Techs, unrest and some more - ITT Questions from the Noob.
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 02:44:52 PM »
I don't see any of the "Ask simple questions here" thread but if i miss something than delete this topic and point me in the right direction coz im a retard :P .

It's not a thread but a topic :)   Noob questions go in "The Academy".  We try to keep the thread count in Mechanics down because that's were Steve posts new and interesting stuff, and it's nice if his threads don't get lost in the noise.

I've moved the thread for you.

Have Fun!!
John