Author Topic: A Jovian Campaign Question  (Read 2334 times)

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
A Jovian Campaign Question
« on: August 13, 2007, 06:44:53 PM »
This is for those of you that are interested in this campaign.  Currently, I am telling this story solely from the point of view of the Jovian Republic.  Aside from occasional scenes showing things from the point of view of the UNE, almost everything will be from the point of view of the Jovian Republic, and will only contain information that the Jovians have access to.  

While writing up the last few updates, I have been tempted to include information from the UNE, particularly in ship designs and missiles, however, doing so would violate the point of view I started with.  

Does anyone have any strong feelings, or feelings period, about the point of view I tell this from?  Would you prefer updates combining both points of view, so that the progress of both sides is more visible?  

If you have any preferences, or any ideas, let me know.

Kurt
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Kurt »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 05:46:19 AM »
I enjoy single perspective stories (as you might guess :)) so I am following the Jovian reports with great interest. I am trying something different for my current campaign because I spent ten years writing Rigellian reports but they are still mostly single perspective reports but from different perspectives at different times.

Something I have tried in the past is writing two concurrent single perspective reports (rather than a combined report) which makes very interesting reading but is a lot of work. This is because I really enjoyed a Flat Top after action report written in The General about 25 years ago which was shown in two columns per page with the Japanese report on the left and the US report on the right. It was fascinating to see the different views the two sides had of the battle as it progressed.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 09:54:57 AM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
I enjoy single perspective stories (as you might guess :)) so I am following the Jovian reports with great interest. I am trying something different for my current campaign because I spent ten years writing Rigellian reports but they are still mostly single perspective reports but from different perspectives at different times.

Something I have tried in the past is writing two concurrent single perspective reports (rather than a combined report) which makes very interesting reading but is a lot of work. This is because I really enjoyed a Flat Top after action report written in The General about 25 years ago which was shown in two columns per page with the Japanese report on the left and the US report on the right. It was fascinating to see the different views the two sides had of the battle as it progressed.

Steve

Ooohhh!  That is interesting.  More work though.  

My original plan was to do the single-perspective write-ups, all from the Jovian perspective.  The thing is, I find that I flesh things out a lot better, and get a much more complete feel for what the government is all about, if I do a report and update from their perspective.  

Kurt

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 07:15:52 AM »
Quote from: "Kurt"
My original plan was to do the single-perspective write-ups, all from the Jovian perspective.  The thing is, I find that I flesh things out a lot better, and get a much more complete feel for what the government is all about, if I do a report and update from their perspective.  

I feel the same way. The only downside (and I don't think this is a major issue) is that I always spend more time and effort on the race for which I am writing the reports than on any of the other races. That might be an issue if this was a competitive game but in a single perspective story the other races provide the background and colour so you don't really need to play them to the same depth as the main protaganist. In Aurora terms I find this means I will do a review of their fleets and pops more often than the others and spend a little more time on command assignments.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 09:07:17 AM »
I feel the same way. The only downside (and I don't think this is a major issue) is that I always spend more time and effort on the race for which I am writing the reports than on any of the other races. That might be an issue if this was a competitive game but in a single perspective story the other races provide the background and colour so you don't really need to play them to the same depth as the main protaganist. In Aurora terms I find this means I will do a review of their fleets and pops more often than the others and spend a little more time on command assignments.

Steve

I've noticed myself doing the same on the FLOP. They get the majority of the attention while the Andarmax and the Imperium get less.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Erik Luken »

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 12:27:29 PM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"

Steve

I've noticed myself doing the same on the FLOP. They get the majority of the attention while the Andarmax and the Imperium get less.

I'm kind of leaning towards doing dual updates for the Republic and the UNE at this point.  My original goal with the single-viewpoint reports was to create a sense of mystery about the opposition for the readers, but more and more I'm leaning towards the dual-viewpoint perspective so that both sides are richer and more fleshed-out.

Kurt

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 02:00:53 AM »
I'd go for the dual (or should that be duel) perspective - one of the things I really liked about the Phoenix Campaign writeups were the differing views of the various protagonists.

However it IS a lot more work.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by ZimRathbone »
Slàinte,

Mike