Author Topic: Playing on a small-resolution screen?  (Read 2488 times)

Offline Deutschbag (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Discord Username: Pwnzerfaust
Playing on a small-resolution screen?
« on: August 20, 2014, 02:53:27 AM »
Hey, I've got a small issue. My desktop recently kicked the bucket, so I'm stuck with an older laptop until I receive the parts to fix it. But the problem is, the laptop has a relatively small screen, with a resolution of only 1360 x 768. This is too small for the Aurora windows to work, even with Reduced Height Windows selected.

My question is, is there any way to make it work on my unfortunately undersized display? Is there a utility I can use for it, perhaps?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Cheet4h

• Petty Officer
  • C
Re: Playing on a small-resolution screen?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 07:19:59 AM »
I haven't tried it yet on my notebook, but if you create a virtual machine (e.g. with VMWare), you can set a desktop resolution higher than your physical screen allows. This gets you scrollbars, but at least it would allow you to see the whole windows.
I'm not sure how this will impact the performance though, especially lategame.

Offline Griswel

• Chief Petty Officer
  • G
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 08:20:49 AM »
I use AltMove on my laptop to make it work.  Reading the event log is a three click process (open log, move bottom right corner, scroll to recent events), but it gets me there.  It's a tiny utility.  The only other downside is that the middle mouse button becomes a "zoom" rectangle, which if you hit accidentally can be pretty confusing for someone who forgot it even existed.

Offline spoongoon

• Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 11:06:09 AM »
I´m also playing on a laptop, same resolution. It can be done even without aides.
The only screens that you can´t directly see are the ones in the fleet order window and you can use
Tab to navigate. Use the reduced height window and make windows task bar disappear or go to
the side.
You also can´t see load times for designing. For build time turn off reduced height windows.