Author Topic: Black Hole Practicals  (Read 2009 times)

Offline Thiosk (OP)

• Commodore
Black Hole Practicals
« on: August 16, 2011, 03:25:08 AM »
Sol is adjacent to a Class 2- but right next door to that is a reasonable system for establishing colonies.  However: will my idiot class 1 civilian ships go roaring into the wild blue yonder when I establish that colony, only to be sucked inexorably to their doom?  And then continue getting sucked to their doom until they are all replaced by their faster descendants?

Offline Thibaut

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • T
Re: Black Hole Practicals
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 04:01:04 AM »
"only effect" of black holes is to decrease the speed of the ships going by by their class *1000K/s.

So, if your ships have a speed > 2000 Km/s (3 or 4KK would be better unless you're ready to have it being very sluggish) it should be ok

Offline Mel Vixen

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 04:33:17 AM »
Iirc in the mechanics-thread to blackholes Steve says Civis ignore these places. I am to lazy to search the quote now.
"Share and enjoy, journey to life with a plastic boy, or girl by your side, let your pal be your guide.  And when it brakes down or starts to annoy or grinds as it moves and gives you no joy cause its has eaten your hat and or had . . . "

- Damaged robot found on Sirius singing a flat 5th out of t

Offline Thiosk (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 11:54:25 AM »
Ah, so they'll ignore it.  Thats good and bad, to be honest.  They go too slow to handle it, but the next gen goes 3k and the later gens go even faster.  Cuts out a whole warp chain to populate.

Offline voknaar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 07:34:56 PM »
You will just have to hope that if you build up the colony's enough that a few civilian ships will spawn there. I have no idea if they only spawn at the capital or if its at 25m+ colonys.

Offline Thiosk (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 07:57:02 PM »
only at capital, methinks

Offline Caesar

• C
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 12:45:04 AM »
You could always generate a route to the colony by linking an unexplored jump point in another system to this new colonizable system.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 03:03:42 PM by Caesar »

Offline deoved

• d
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 08:58:55 AM »
Quote from: Caesar link=topic=3951. msg38486#msg38486 date=1313646304
You could always generated a route to the colony by linking an unexplored jump point in another system to this new colonizable system.

You mean using SM mode or?

Offline Caesar

• C
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 03:03:55 PM »
You mean using SM mode or?

I mean using SM mode.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 09:24:05 AM »
Sol is adjacent to a Class 2- but right next door to that is a reasonable system for establishing colonies.  However: will my idiot class 1 civilian ships go roaring into the wild blue yonder when I establish that colony, only to be sucked inexorably to their doom?  And then continue getting sucked to their doom until they are all replaced by their faster descendants?

Civs will only use black holes if they have at least a 1000 km/s greater speed than the effect of the black hole.

Steve