Author Topic: Anyone play EVE?  (Read 3937 times)

Offline Maharava (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
Anyone play EVE?
« on: March 24, 2013, 08:01:47 AM »
Just wondering, cos Aurora is like an Turn-based strategy version of EVE (which is badass). Now I need to make a Caldari-themed game...
Australia, home of the over-paid minion

I play Eve! Message Suzanne Winters for a friend :D

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Anyone play EVE?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 08:34:41 AM »
Just wondering, cos Aurora is like an Turn-based strategy version of EVE (which is badass). Now I need to make a Caldari-themed game...

Yes, EVE addict here :) Just started a third character purely to fly an Orca. Training him up at the moment.

Steve

Offline MagusXIX

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 08:52:50 AM »
I used to.  For many years.  Took me about 7 years to get tired enough to stop.  XD

Offline Maharava (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 09:02:05 AM »
I JUST got back in after reading the news for the Battle of Caldari Prime (and also cos I have internet now). I mainly fly Caldari (training my girl towards a Chimera) but I do have a second account flying Gallente. What about you guys? What did/do you fly?

Oh, and Steve, I once watched an orca get taken down by Concord. Was freaking HILARIOUS (and painful, cos the Orca was in my Corp, but funny nonetheless)

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 01:49:24 PM »
Minmatar (just because I thought their ships looked the coolest whe I started back in, oh, I don´t know, a long time ago - you have to admit, the Hurricane and Maelstrom look awesome :)  ) solo-player here.

Yes, I know you are supposed to join a corp and play with others, but that´s the way I have fun, so that´s the way I play :)

Working on getting my Marauder skills up (I could fly one, if I would own one, but I would be horrible at it right now ;)  )
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Jikor

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 03:18:46 PM »
I've played on and off since 2005. Been debating starting up again but I get too involved sometimes and get bored after a while.

Offline Maharava (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 05:03:22 PM »
Minmatar (just because I thought their ships looked the coolest whe I started back in, oh, I don´t know, a long time ago - you have to admit, the Hurricane and Maelstrom look awesome :)  ) solo-player here.

Yes, I know you are supposed to join a corp and play with others, but that´s the way I have fun, so that´s the way I play :)

Working on getting my Marauder skills up (I could fly one, if I would own one, but I would be horrible at it right now ;)  )

Minmatar dog! :P I do like the Hurricane, but I prefer the Caldari designs: they're clearly designed for one purpose, to frakk smeg up

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 06:44:20 PM »
Waiting for Star Citizen, it more my game then Eve was. For me Eve attracts a crowd I tend not to like. No offense steve.

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 08:01:01 PM »
I played for some time 6-7 years ago.  I really enjoyed the game until it dawned on me that it was in my best interest not to play.

Hear me out.  I have a point and it's an interesting one. 

Almost every game in existence (even real life) rewards people for participating with gear, experience, goods, money and so on.  Eve is an aberration.  It has a time based advancement system so there is no real statistical reward for playing.  I could log in an do some missions or mine or other relatively trivial tasks but regardless of how much I played daily I still only advanced as fast as time would allow.  It wasn't long before I was doing exactly enough materials collection so I could afford to pay for my next training or build my next item and then I would log off and do something else.  After a while my guy advanced to a point where it was days before a training would complete so I found myself logging in less and less while still paying for the same level of monthly access.

Long story short, it dawned on me that I was paying for a game that rewarded me for not playing.  :/

Offline Maharava (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 04:19:23 AM »
I'v heard that story/argument a lot, but mainly from solo players (please understand I'm not having a go at you or anything). My friends and I have a small corp and we play to build it up, so, personally, I find it quite rewarding

Offline Conscript Gary

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 10:43:51 AM »
I prefer to think of the skilltime dynamic as rewarding you for doing whatever you want, which does include not playing, sure. But it also means you're free to goof off and play as you like without devaluing your training subscription.
To each their own

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 03:50:31 PM »
I prefer to think of the skilltime dynamic as rewarding you for doing whatever you want, which does include not playing, sure. But it also means you're free to goof off and play as you like without devaluing your training subscription.
To each their own

Exactly.  At first I really liked the concept as casual players would, for the most part, advance as quickly as power players so as long as you logged in on occasion and maintained your character you developed on par with the other players the same game age as yourself.  It didn't take long for me to chafe at the fact that no matter how long I played and how hard I tried I wouldn't be able to 'catch up' to higher level players. 

I generally like to play solo.  I was part of a small corp of friends and we interacted and I had fun but I could never get used to and accept the limited means of advancing.  I guess I just like mashing buttons and having my skill at said button mashing improve accordingly.

Offline dgibso29

• Lieutenant
  • d
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 04:24:15 PM »
Been playing on and off for a while. Caldari myself. One pilot focused on mining, and started up another to focus on warfare. Was an independent Contractor for a while, now part of a corp called LankTech...Except I've been inactive for months. Next time I pick it back up, I intend to drop you a line, Maharava.

Offline Maharava (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 03:22:22 AM »
Please do :) I'm mainly playing Solo atm, one friend is in Paris and another taking a break, but I enjoy roving around doing whatever I feel like with a wingman

Offline dgibso29

• Lieutenant
  • d
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 06:17:13 AM »
As long as you have the patience to help me learn PvP - I've pretty much ALWAYS been focused on mining and industry... Somehow it's just more satisfying to make ISK than to lose my ships haha. But 2nd char is specifically for warfare, as I said...probably be fun. I may just activate soon, actually.