Author Topic: Weird Installation Problem  (Read 7253 times)

Offline 01010100

• Chief Petty Officer
  • ?
Re: Weird Installation Problem
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2020, 01:51:14 PM »
The problem doesn't seem to be debug vs release but running inside the IDE vs runing outside the IDE, given that running in release mode inside the IDE does not show the problem.

Offline Jovus

• Lt. Commander
  • J
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2020, 06:02:33 PM »
Simple fix: just package your IDE with the executable.

What? Why isn't that a good idea? :P

Offline MasonMac

• Registered
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • M
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2020, 06:04:36 PM »
There's no way to know if the difference is truly because of the IDE. So I recommend that an image of Steve's OS installation should come with it instead.

Offline AlitarSemiramis

• Chief Petty Officer
  • A
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2020, 07:40:51 PM »
This sounds like it could be an anti-virus or Windows Defender issue.  I would try excluding the folder from Windows Defender to see if it makes a difference:

- Windows Defender -> Virus & threat protection settings -> Manage Settings -> Exclusions -> Add or remove exclusions

Jason

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2020, 11:04:39 PM »
Assuming a file from a known good environment works, does the installer understand the sqlite file is binary, not ascii. 

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2020, 04:33:42 AM »
There's no way to know if the difference is truly because of the IDE. So I recommend that an image of Steve's OS installation should come with it instead.

More weirdness.

If I close the IDE and run the exe that sits within the release folder of the build, it runs fine.

If, rather than installing, I simply move those same files from the release folder into a new location on the C drive, it is back to 5 minutes.

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2020, 04:41:53 AM »
This sounds like it could be an anti-virus or Windows Defender issue.  I would try excluding the folder from Windows Defender to see if it makes a difference:

- Windows Defender -> Virus & threat protection settings -> Manage Settings -> Exclusions -> Add or remove exclusions

I tried disconnecting from internet and then turning off the anti-virus. No difference.

Offline littleWolf

• l
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2020, 04:52:39 AM »
5 minutes  first run in new folder, or any next run ?
Maybe some database files created outside of "release" or "debug" folder.  After you copy folder content to another location,  SQLite  must create new database (Or maybe your database useabsolute patch for files)

1. Try run executable and inspect his activity (CPU, Memory, Disk usage) by  "Resources Inspector" on Windows - for "bottleneck" detecting.

2. Make Virtual Mashine  with clean Windows, and test your installer on VM.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 04:55:59 AM by littleWolf »

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2020, 04:59:24 AM »
It is folder related. If I move the install files from C:/Program Files/Aurora to C:/Aurora it works fine. That is true for both my main PC and my laptop.

No idea what is going on there.

Anyway, that means the installation process is working, but it can't be installed in program files.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 05:22:47 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Mini

• Chief Petty Officer
  • M
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2020, 05:31:00 AM »
Windows doesn't like things in C:/Program Files being edited, so if the database is in the same folder as the rest of the program then it's likely that protection is what is causing the long waits. Making sure it doesn't get installed in program files would fix it, as would having the database be somewhere else. %appdata% is commonly used for this sort of thing.

The following users thanked this post: kks

Offline littleWolf

• l
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2020, 05:34:10 AM »
Do you have x64 Windows ?    And you compile x64  Aurora ?

If Windows x64 and Aurora  compiled by 32-bit (x86) compilator, he must be install to  C:/Program Files (x86)  folder

Offline Bughunter

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
  • Discord Username: Bughunter
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2020, 05:50:38 AM »
Windows doesn't like things in C:/Program Files being edited, so if the database is in the same folder as the rest of the program then it's likely that protection is what is causing the long waits. Making sure it doesn't get installed in program files would fix it, as would having the database be somewhere else. %appdata% is commonly used for this sort of thing.

Yes, got this as my prime suspect too.

Offline Korsar13

• Registered
  • Leading Rate
  • K
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2020, 06:02:01 AM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=10625. msg120367#msg120367 date=1585994364
It is folder related.  If I move the install files from C:/Program Files/Aurora to C:/Aurora it works fine.

Please, check %APPDATA%\Local\VirtualStore folder.

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2020, 06:03:39 AM »
Do you have x64 Windows ?    And you compile x64  Aurora ?

If Windows x64 and Aurora  compiled by 32-bit (x86) compilator, he must be install to  C:/Program Files (x86)  folder

I'm going to create both 32 and 64 bit versions. In testing, the 32 bit is actually faster but I suspect that will change for larger games.

For this example, I compiled 32 bit and installed to C:/Program Files (x86) folder.

The following users thanked this post: littleWolf

Offline Tikigod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2020, 06:19:23 AM »
Great to hear you found a cause.

Personally I can't imagine many people still put things in program files unless it's simply the default path directory and they can't be bothered to change it. Heck I'd be surprised if many people even install Aurora on their system drive outside of those where that's their only option.

When I first started playing VB Aurora I had it installed on my system drive as I wasn't sure on the amount of read/writing the game would involve due to how it's structured and figured the SSD on my system drive may help in certain cases, but after a while realised it really makes no difference with Aurora, I can only imagine C# with the removal of the constant writing state to disk will make it matter even less, so it's definitely going on my secondary HDD rather than my SSD so I can keep it stored alongside my usual game library collection.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 06:31:52 AM by Tikigod »
The popular stereotype of the researcher is that of a skeptic and a pessimist.  Nothing could be further from the truth! Scientists must be optimists at heart, in order to block out the incessant chorus of those who say "It cannot be done. "

- Academician Prokhor Zakharov, University Commencement

The following users thanked this post: King-Salomon