Author Topic: What about privatly owned ships?  (Read 2471 times)

Offline Detjen (OP)

• Lieutenant
What about privatly owned ships?
« on: May 29, 2011, 04:00:50 AM »
  I was thinking about this a little bit today.  this would be a little extra work on my part but at the same time it would give people a little bit more interaction with the game.  the basic idea being I would let people "own" say 2-3 ships in game.  All ships would have to be civilian so they dont take mantianance from us (maybe we can change that later)  but they would be put into "private fleets" that you would give orders too.  you could have your own little cargo ship to move cargo around (there would have to be some limits of course.   maybe infrastructure could count as "up for grabs" as well as minerals that are not in shortage on the planet.  you could have your own colony ship even. maybe you feel as though a certain planet should be colonized but no ones moving on it.  well now you can be the capitalist frontiersman and set up your own colony.  (good luck getting mines and such on it unless you make a deal with the government or some back door evil shinnanigans with our infrastructure minister :P  of course you could also find your world snatched up and taken control of by the government )    I could see this as being a fun thing in terms of asteroid miners, people mining their own resources on the little rocks out in space,  and as i said maybe they got a cozy hidden little world the government isnt paying attention too, they could supply their own minerals,  not that im gonna let you start you own actual faction, I got enough work ahead running one of these things.

So would anyone be interested in having a ship or two of their own that they could control? should I offer this service?  also I plan on using the games storyteller whatever mode to "cheat" in the ship, representing the civilian nature of it, and avoiding the government having to foot the bill,  maybe we could introduce some primitive form of commerce where you must by the ship,  but then I think we are reaching a new complication im not so sure of.

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
Re: What about privatly owned ships?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 04:10:05 AM »
I'd support it if we end up playing a Corporate game, which seems likely. Our corporations could get ships. Maybe we all start with some funds, and get paid for sitting on the government? :p

Of course, we'd need to keep track of the funds each company has, but it should be easy enough if we have a separate thread.

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 04:11:28 AM »
Heck, we could even each own a civilian shipping line, in a corporate society we wouldn't have achieved power without some resource like that anyway. I also like the idea of owning a fast luxury cruiser or something.

Offline Detjen (OP)

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 04:19:00 AM »
well you could "pretend" to own the civilian shipping line,  I dont know if I can change the name or add new ones into the game to give people actual lines,  nor do I think I can add ships to the shipping line to represent the person himself having bough the ship. Maybe when we start ill see who is all interested in "owning" the first made civilian line and then dice it to see who gets it, and set up a list for the next line to follow and so forth.   and dont forget component companies.  someone has to design the engines or sensor suits our ships use.

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 04:24:59 AM »
You can SM new shipping lines. We could also bid for civilian mining complex, getting a fat profit from it.

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 04:25:45 AM »
Yep, I don't know about name modification but you can certainly ad them.

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 04:31:04 AM »
Actually, I think you should focus on running the "government" side of things. It'll already be a huge workload for you, so no need to add private enterprise yet. We could do this later.

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 07:14:40 AM »
I think the same as sheb, try the government part first and can do the other stuff later.