Author Topic: "X" and "Xr" or "Xi"  (Read 4015 times)

Offline Edsel (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • E
"X" and "Xr" or "Xi"
« on: May 06, 2014, 08:48:59 AM »
Not sure if this is a rule, or an error in Starfire Assistant.  I know that an "X" generates 1 WP survey point per movement impulse.  An "Xi" generates 2 WP survey points per movement impulse.  I have noticed in Starfire Assistant that a ship that has both "X" and "Xr" also generates 2 WP survey points per movement impulse.  Is this an error in SA or is this correct?

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
Re: "X" and "Xr" or "Xi"
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 09:27:47 AM »
Xr should not be generating any survey points.  Only X, Xi, and Xc should (1,2,5). (UTMv1.11 revised rule 19.02)  Under the older SM2r4 rule 19.02b what you've described is correct.  SA is supposed to follow UTM, but some things still function the older way.  It's not that big a deal really.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 09:32:59 AM by Charlie Beeler »
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Edsel (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • E
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 10:21:54 AM »
Sort of what I thought.  I seem to recall that in earlier editions (before "Xi" and "Xc" were introduced), that the addition of "Xr" to a survey ship doubled its WP survey ability.  The SA thing is just a left over.  I may open up the database and see if that is something fixable.

Offline Starslayer_D

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 07:38:42 AM »
Not actually a mistake, X + Xr works, but Xi is cheaper and more space efficient, and Xc is definitely superior, and makes survey cruisers a nice way to explore.