Author Topic: Game Books  (Read 2507 times)

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Game Books
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2009, 06:14:21 PM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
When y'all are browsing through a game book in a store, what makes you decide to buy the book?

Assume that it is a system you have not tried, you have sufficient time to browse through a book, and the book is open (not shrinkwrapped or anything).

For me, with a science fiction game, I'm almost always looking for something with ship/unit design rules and with good tech research rules.  After that, playability.  Background is good, and can be vital to keeping my interest, but if ship design and technology isn't done well, I lose interest quick.

For example, Traveller had an excellent background, and good ship design rules, but was cumbersome to play on any scale beyond ship-to-ship and the technology levels were pretty basic.  Full Thrust is simple to play, and has a basic background, but the ship design was way too simplistic and the tech stuff was rudimentary.  Still, it was fun to fight out simple battles in that system, but the simplistic ship design stuff turned me off.  

Really, Starfire had the best combination of medium to large scale playability, ship design, and technology of any game that I had experience with, which was why I kept coming back to it.  Some games were more playable, others had more complex (and probably realistic) ship design stuff, but none had the combination of things that Starfire had.  

Of course, I'm probably atypical, as I usually will evaluate a new system as to how it will help me develop my own background.  If that system comes with a background, I'll usually look at it more to see if I like it and can use the concepts more than anything else.  

Kurt

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2009, 07:55:38 PM »
When y'all are browsing through a game book in a store, what makes you decide to buy the book?

Assume that it is a system you have not tried, you have sufficient time to browse through a book, and the book is open (not shrinkwrapped or anything).

Background will generally get me to read the book, but the rules are probably the deciding factor  in actually buying it.  However, that said, much more important than either is personal recommendation  - if someone else I know likes a particular system I'm much more likely to buy it (thats how I got into SFB & Starfire) if only because that gives me potential opponents.  

I rarely start off with complex rule sets, I might grow into them but its usually not a selling point for me.  I started with SFB way back in the days of the Designers Edition before the ziplock expansions, when it was often possible to throw together a game or two after a night at the pub (or the CompSci Labs), before all the complexities of the later editions. I no longer play it partly due to lack of opponents & time, and partly due to the fact that I lost the rulebook a few years ago (last seen in an  orange VMS operating system folder somewhere in Sydney!), and cant work up the enthusiasm to buy a new one.
Slàinte,

Mike

Offline procyon

• Captain
  • p
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2010, 03:20:29 AM »
I guess that I am in the minority, I buy a game for the mechanics.  The less story the better for me.  That is why I enjoyed the baggy Starfire so much.  Great rules, little fluff.  You could take it where you wanted.  
I guess when it comes down to it I want to write the story.  I just want a good frame to hang it on.
... and I will show you fear in a handful of dust ...

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2010, 09:12:49 PM »
What I will most likely do for this is have a chapter towards the end of the book which details the "official" setting, and then have a supplement which expands it out more.

Offline ShadoCat

• Commander
    • http://www.assistsolar.com
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2010, 04:10:20 PM »
What I will most likely do for this is have a chapter towards the end of the book which details the "official" setting, and then have a supplement which expands it out more.

I would suggest a chapter at the front about the setting.  Better yet, a fiction piece set in the official setting.  Then put details in the back.  That should get both the fluff puppies and the crunchsters.

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2010, 07:47:21 PM »
Quote from: "ShadoCat"

I would suggest a chapter at the front about the setting.  Better yet, a fiction piece set in the official setting.  Then put details in the back.  That should get both the fluff puppies and the crunchsters.

That's an idea. Right now the material is very rules heavy. I think there is only 3 or 4 sidebars. I want (in addition to other stuff) a blow by blow example of combat.

If anyone is interested in playtesting, or just providing feedback, let me know and I can drop you a copy (PDF format).

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2010, 08:00:05 PM »
I agree with Jeff

A nice fiction piece to start it off, then some details of your "official setting" in a chapter at the back.

Blow by Blow combat descriptions are always very helpful as well.

Matt
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2010, 04:48:00 PM »
Just a teaser of the map I'm planning on using. Generated with Fractal Terrains. (awesome program by the way).
[attachment=0:1vghckd6]A000000.jpg[/attachment:1vghckd6]
Highest peak is just under 31,000 ft with a temperature of -76.6F.
Not sure of the lowest oceanic trench, but the hottest area is in the 125-130F range.