Author Topic: Starting NPRs  (Read 1968 times)

Offline JimBadger (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • J
Starting NPRs
« on: October 20, 2011, 07:45:49 AM »
When I started my game, I ticked all three of the NPR-related boxes, whatever they were (or two boxes and a number field?)

I specified that there should be 9 NPRs, and a 30% chance of NPR at system gen.

Does that mean I've limited it to 9 NPRs in the game and that one of those 9 will be added to a system I discover if the 30% chance comes up, until all 9 have been added?

Or are there 9 already "out there" and 30% chance of additional ones, per system? If they're already there, where are they? Because, isn't every system generated at the point that you discover it? (bearing in mind I've turned OFF real star systems mode).

Offline Din182

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • D
Re: Starting NPRs
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 07:53:30 AM »
There are 9 NPRs out there already, with a 30% chance to generate a new one on a suitable planet. They could be anywhere. They will be discovering systems too, until they start exploring your discovered systems (or those of another NPR.)
Invader Fleet #13090 has notified Fleet Command that it intendeds to Unload Trade Goods at Earth!

Offline Yonder

• Registered
  • Lt. Commander
  • Y
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 07:54:56 AM »
You have 9 NPRs at game start, and an additional 30% chance of new ones per system generated. At the start of the game some systems are already generated, but outside of that cluster nothing is, the systems are generated the first time someone (you or NPR) enters them.

Offline JimBadger (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • J
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 07:58:18 AM »
Cheers, chaps.

So, "the nine" will be nearby, not scattered throughout the entire galaxy?

What's a good number of starting NPRs to play with in a standard sized galaxy, anyway?

Nine? :)

Offline metalax

• Commander
  • m
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 08:34:33 AM »
From my experience the nine could be anywhere in the available systems/galaxy. As they will explore for themselves this means that a good number of systems can be generated without you having seen them, which will likely include additional NPR's, who themselves can explore finding more NPR's and so on.

If you want your initial NPR's to be close by, choose a small maximum number of systems when generating the game then increase it later.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 08:37:07 AM by metalax »

Offline JimBadger (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • J
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 08:45:53 AM »
No, it sounds fine for me as it is. I want the galaxy to be "alive" out there, without me, not just being called into existence bit by bit as I explore.

I'd better get a move on with my jump-capable colony ships, then.

Fun times ahead!

(I already know I have a certain set of baddies in a system right next door to me....the kind who greet you on the doorstep of their jump point with 38 meson-firing frigate-sized ships.

Offline Yonder

• Registered
  • Lt. Commander
  • Y
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 04:52:22 PM »
(I already know I have a certain set of baddies in a system right next door to me....the kind who greet you on the doorstep of their jump point with 38 meson-firing frigate-sized ships.

Define "frigate-sized". For my first tier of combat ships I generally call the 1000 ton vessels frigates and the 3000 ton vessels Destroyers. Then that's 5000 and 8000, then 12000 and 18000...  ;)

Offline Din182

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 05:54:57 PM »
Sounds like the frigates are Star Swarm FACs.
Invader Fleet #13090 has notified Fleet Command that it intendeds to Unload Trade Goods at Earth!